Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - urgent - need advice today please!

• 14-01-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

My laptop broke a while ago (and is past getting fixed at this stage). I've been waiting 'till I have some money to get a new one, but that's not likely to happen any time soon and I just can't wait anymore! I really need the internet at home and I'm going to buy some type of computer today one way or another.
    I just had a quick look in the Argos catalogue last night as I've no other way of doing research at home (no internet :(). They had an Acer mini laptop for €230 and an Asus (whatever that is) normal sized laptop for €348. I'd prefer a normal sized laptop but can't really go over the €300. And I've made up my mind - I can't go another laptop-less night, so I need to be able to pick it up in a shop rather than buy it online.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, cheap, laptop. It's for personal use and I don't really watch movies or the like online. My previous laptop was a five year old Icon so anything should be an upgrade!?! All I ask is that it's not slow.
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Try adverts.ie I think. Netbooks are over rated. You'll get a decent, second hand laptop on adverts.ie, with a good chance of picking up tonight, that will surpass anything you can buy on your (limited) budget in a store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Unless you actually take the laptop out with you, buy a desktop, far far cheaper for what you get, A desktop worth 300 is about as good as a laptop worth 500 or more (in general)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xbmc

powercity have a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Cheers guys. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I could pay in installments. Does anywhere do that that you know of where I could pick it up today and pay a few €100s and pay the rest monthly?
    Actually, would I need bank statements, utility bills, identification, etc. to arrange that kind of thing?
    I do need a laptop as I travel with it a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

snappieT wrote: »
    Try adverts.ie I think. Netbooks are over rated. You'll get a decent, second hand laptop on adverts.ie, with a good chance of picking up tonight, that will surpass anything you can buy on your (limited) budget in a store.

I think this is your best bet. It's what I'd be doing in your shoes. This way you can buy a mid-range laptop for decent money and upgrade the ram / hard drive / whatever later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement