Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for friends dog

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

A very good friend of mine is at his wits end with his dog. The dog is mongrel that he rescued years ago and he's a super dog, very clever and friendly.

His problem started about six months ago when his nose started bleeding from time to time and this would result in him sneezing blood around the house, on the carpets and walls etc, sometimes pretty bad.

He had had him at several vets and he has spent a fortune. The vets have tried loads of things all to no avail. The general consensus is that's a fungal infection but the no medication is working.

They are now trying one more medication and if that doesn't work he will put to sleep :mad:

He is very healthy and fit dog apart from this so it's especially sad if he's put to sleep.

Any suggestion very welcome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask why they want him put to sleep if this doesnt work? Is he in bad health/condition resulting from this?
    Is he in pain or has it affected his quality of life because of the illness?

If hes in good form and not in pain then i would be very reluctant to put him to sleep. If hes leading a relatively normal life with a few of these episodes then i dont see why he needs to be put down.

Have they tried the vet college in UCD in Dublin at all? They might be able to help a little more and investigate a little deeper into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

andreac wrote: »
    Have they tried the vet college in UCD in Dublin at all? They might be able to help a little more and investigate a little deeper into it.
    +1, in fact I'm quite surprised your own vet hasn't suggested a referral to the vet college in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Can i ask why they want him put to sleep if this doesnt work? Is he in bad health/condition resulting from this?
    Is he in pain or has it affected his quality of life because of the illness?

When his nose bleeds it does cause him distress by excessive sneezing and there does be a lot of blood everywhere. This is also getting slowly worse, more frequent and more blood.

He told me that one vet recommended they take him to checked in some college, not sure if it was UCD but they wanted a lot of money to some procedure to find the problem. I'll mention UCD to him, thanks.
    Money is a big problem at the moment for them too and as I have already said they have spent a small fortune already trying to get to the bottom of it.

Most of the vets that have seen him think it's something simple to treat if they just knew what it was.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

OK I was talking to him a while ago, he said the first vet he was at recommended he go to UCD but they could charge up to €2000 for the procedure. This is money he hasn't got. He really regrets not getting pet insurance at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

He only said that they could charge that. Would he not be better off getting onto UCD and seeing what they might charge and seeing if there's a payment scheme he can use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tench

maybe the dog has an alergi to somting in the house that was brought into the house when this started

Advertisement