Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The man who shot the 60's

• 14-01-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this on BBC4 last night it's on again tonight at 11pm.

It's a look at the life of Brian Duffy, in the 60's right up till he burned all his negatives in the 70's.

It was a very interesting look at how he worked, how he views his work. His Benson & Hedges compain was very interesting, to see how he dealth with scale before photoshop.

They did a small comparison between Duffy, Donovan & Bailey.

I like his comments any half-wit with a camera could do what they did, and that only recently photography has been called art.

Well worth a watch,

Next Wednesday 9pm BBC4 Shooting the War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I saw it, thought it was very good all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

watched it last night, was a lot more interesting than i expected it to be. Duffy came across as a pretty likeable, if unpredictable guy.

It didnt do much to change my opinion of mr bailey though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I missed the programme but.............why did he burn all his negatives ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I missed the programme but.............why did he burn all his negatives ?

Basically it all boiled down to a fit of temper! And being a stubborn so and so that was that.

He got fed up with the daily grind, he described being a photographer as "the same as being a plumber, or an electrician" so when things got on top of him he gave it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Don't know much about Bailey, but I agree Duffy was quite likeable, I don't think I could have lasted long as his assistant.

I thought what Joanna Lumley said was very insightful. she said he made the models say Thursday, because the mouth made a nice shape. Has anyone tried this technique

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I tought the program was brilliant. Duffy is a realist in the true sense of the word.

This is my favourite quote of his from the program. While speaking of photography as an art.....
    "It's the only form that any numscull, nitwit or halfwit can do with as much competence as we do." Duffy

I love it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

This is great thanks a lot for sharing, keep us updated if you hear of any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

If you can bounce your ip to the UK you can watch it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055210330&page=4

^^ READ THIS 1st !

http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Only caught the bit on the B&H stuff and it was brill, shame I missed the rest.

Have set alarm on phone for next weeks tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah twas good, actually it was on twice - he stayed away from photography for something like 30 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

thought it was really interesting and enjoyable, and loved the fact that he wasnt at all bullsh1ty or 'artsy' like so many people can be... he seemed like a normal bloke who loved shooting people and wasnt to up himself... although, he may have been different during the 60's whilst in the midst of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Chorcai wrote: »
    If you can bounce your ip to the UK you can watch it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055210330&page=4

^^ READ THIS 1st !

http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

missed most of the show, how exaclty do I switch my IP to the UK??

Advertisement