Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Pedals!

• 14-01-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Now have a bike with full Dura Ace 7800 groupset but require pedals what would be recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

kerryscoob wrote: »
    Now have a bike with full Dura Ace 7800 groupset but require pedals what would be recommended.

I ride Look Keo. Sprint and some carbon pair that I picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I've always used LOOK pedals and have never had a problem so I'd say check out the Keo's - they revamped their range recently so if you're lucky you might be able to track down some of the first generation ones at a good price - e.g. froogle puts THESE as the cheapest Keo Carbons in UK/Irl. EDIT: CRC them - you'd save on the postage

Failing that, I've a friend using speedplay pedals and he swear by em - can't say myself though

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

Look Keo 2 Max Alberto Contador Pedals '10
    sku:PDRT/0153410
    PDRT0153410.jpg
    To celebrate Alberto Contador’s 2009 TDF win, Look painted the new Keo 2 Max in a limited yellow with Alberto Contadores signature. There is a limited run of these in this colour.

Keo 2 Max key features:
    • Large width & pedal surface area
    • Lightweight: 130g
    • Extremely reliable
    Tech info:
    • Use: Road - from leisure to competition
    • Body: Composite
    • Axle: Steel
    • Thread: 9/16 x 20mm
    • Roller Bearing: 2 roller bearings, 1 needle bearing
    • Height (Axle to Sole): 15,7mm
    • Axle distance (Pedal to Crank): 53mm
    • Multitensor: Yes - adjustable from 9 to 15Nm
    • Cleats: Grey Keo Grip Cleats
    • Pedal weight: 130g per pedal (328g per pair with cleats and hardware)
    • Accessories: Keo Grip Cleats & Hardware (6 screws 6 washers)
    • Warranty: 2 years
    Large width and pedal surface area
    For more efficient and more comfortable cycling, Keo 2 Max has a pressing area 12% more important than the Keo carbon. So as to further improve the transmission of the effort and the length of the pedal?s service life, the area is in stainless steel over-moulded in the body of the pedal.

Lightweight
    130g Once again, with its 130g, Keo 2 Max is one of the lightest pedals in its category. This was made possible thanks to the use of composite materials that allow reducing weight without compromising resistance.

Maxiumum reliability
    Special attention was brought to reliability: Composite body, stainless steel pressing area & oversize axle make this pedal a very secure and durable product. The new axle line of the Keo 2 Max allows keeping the pressing height while using a steel oversize axis. It is composed of 2 miniature roller bearings (12 mm inside x 18 mm outside) and of a needle bearing. LOOK axes are only validated after a rotation test of1 million cycles at 100 rpm with a load of 90kg on the centre of the pedal and an off-centre rotation (which creates a shock at each rotation).

Q-Factor Settings
    Keo 2 Max axle threads are now 14mm in length. This allows a Q-Factor adjustment of plus 2mm using a specific spacer available as a spare part. It can increase the Q Factor measurement from 53 to 55mm.

Keo Grip Cleats
    • Non-skid cleat
    • Position memory
    • Lateral setting: 4 mm; longitudinal setting: 9 mm
    • 3 float ranges available: 0 degrees black, 4.5 degrees grey, 9 degrees red
    I like these.Css have them.

I'm boycotting products for or endorsed by any individuals who would make the 'finger bang' their trademark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Speedplays FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

If you have any knee issues you might be better off with 'TIME RXS'. I was getting knee niggles with KEO's which seem to have improved with the TIME set up. Too early to tell yet though.
    The LOOK's are easier to clip into alright in that the TIME dosen't always drop to the vertical position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Paddyduc, there a small bit too bright :D

Had looked at the Shimano 7810 Dura-Ace, but also the LOOK Keo 2 max carbon.

The bike is not mine but the sons so weight is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I currently use Time RXS myself, though I don't think I'd recommend them... I've found the build quality to be quite poor, and have snapped part of the front of the pedal (I think Blorg's done the same)... it seem to be a fairly common complaint -even though it doesn't really affect the use of the pedal and actually makes it a little lighter!

If I was buying pedals now (and I probably will be soon!), I'd go for speedplay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

+1 for Look Keo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

gman2k wrote: »
    Speedplays FTW

Second the speedplays. I'd never use another pedal ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I'm boycotting products for or endorsed by any individuals who would make the 'finger bang' their trademark

Intriguing post, I was going to google the term mentioned above but I'd hate to get fired.......

How about Tour de France, Giro de Italia, Paris-Roubaix, Amstel Gold, Paris-Nice, World Time Trial Championship, Tour of Germany, Tour of California, Tour de Georgia, Hawaii Ironman World Championship and the countless other races that have been won by champions using Zero pedals.....
    Good selection of Speedplay on Probikekit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Time RXS all the way. Plenty of float, adjustable, light, easy to clip in and out of.

Quality wise, I think they had a dodgy batch, I have had no issues with mine. One of the cleats snapped a lug and I was sent out replacements from Wiggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think just about all the systems will work.

Time has good float and a walkable cleat. Cornering clearance is not the best. I clipped the front off but they are going to replace that under warranty I think, haven't sent it back yet. Can be a bit tricky to get into. Comparison with Speedplay here. Not dissuaded from the system, I bought another two pairs for track and winter road bike. The reasons I went for it over Speedplay: (1) Time have cheaper entry-level pedals which work well so I could equip multiple bikes with the system easily, Speedplay start at over double the price of Time; (2) the walkable and durable no-hassle cleat. I will tend to be off the bike a bit whether for coffee stops or whatever so this was still an issue for me. Punctured tub in a race could leave a bit of walking to be done either!

Speedplay is double sided, a definite plus, and a lot of float also. Cleat very unwalkable I believe and the system requires a fair bit of maintenance. I think the best cornering clearance.

I have less knowledge of the other systems, but Look is probably the most popular system so must work well.

Shimano are quite heavy relative to other systems but solid, metal and were always the choice of Lance Armstrong IIRC. That may be a plus or a minus for you but it would at least suggest that they must work well, he was very choosy about his componentry.

I don't think choice of pedal system has much bearing on the winner of a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Blorg no argument there it's just, after spending a nice sum of money on a bike with decent running gear I'd like to finish it off well.

I should also point out that I've busted a lot of pairs of Time cleats (4 so far), and am not impressed with their quality, but then everyone's mileage may vary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I haven't managed to break any Time cleats yet, but that could well be because I don't ride my bikes enough.

I bought them because of the adjustable q-factor, and because I hadn't tried them before. Now I have them on two bikes (and three pairs of shoes) I can't see myself changing.

I still haven't got used to clipping in yet, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't; it seems easier the less you think about it. I don't remember having the same problem with Looks.

Lumen wrote: »

I still haven't got used to clipping in yet, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't; it seems easier the less you think about it. I don't remember having the same problem with Looks.

's funny, never had a real problem clipping in with them.

I should also point out that I've busted a lot of pairs of Time cleats (4 so far), and am not impressed with their quality, but then everyone's mileage may vary!
    I've found the cleat fine and I don't take any particular care walking etc... it is meant to be one of the more durable ones.

I haven't used any other road system, my only system to compare is SPD... clipping in certainly easier on them. But I wouldn't say clipping in to the Times is a problem.

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    's funny, never had a real problem clipping in with them.

I think it's because I have weird cleat position and the foot-eye coordination of a headless chicken.

I think it's because I have weird cleat position and the foot-eye coordination of a headless chicken.

I'm actually the same... if I think about it, it's hard to engage, if I think of other things (like cake), it's easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I would go with Time RXS everytime i never had a problem and i have gotten full seasons and winter out off a set of cleats. I changed to time because Look Keo were giving me chronic knee pain once i switched no more knee pain.

Intriguing post, I was going to google the term mentioned above but I'd hate to get fired.......

Hmmm, yes I can see how one might get into bother if their boss has keyloggers on their computers there....

Still Contador is DORK

I would go with Time RXS everytime i never had a problem and i have gotten full seasons and winter out off a set of cleats. I changed to time because Look Keo were giving me chronic knee pain once i switched no more knee pain.

Knee pain was why I changed to Times. It pretty much disappeared once I switched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

blorg wrote: »
    I think just about all the systems will work.

Time has good float and a walkable cleat. Cornering clearance is not the best. I clipped the front off but they are going to replace that under warranty I think, haven't sent it back yet. Can be a bit tricky to get into. Comparison with Speedplay here. Not dissuaded from the system, I bought another two pairs for track and winter road bike. The reasons I went for it over Speedplay: (1) Time have cheaper entry-level pedals which work well so I could equip multiple bikes with the system easily, Speedplay start at over double the price of Time; (2) the walkable and durable no-hassle cleat. I will tend to be off the bike a bit whether for coffee stops or whatever so this was still an issue for me. Punctured tub in a race could leave a bit of walking to be done either!

Speedplay is double sided, a definite plus, and a lot of float also. Cleat very unwalkable I believe and the system requires a fair bit of maintenance. I think the best cornering clearance.

I have less knowledge of the other systems, but Look is probably the most popular system so must work well.

Shimano are quite heavy relative to other systems but solid, metal and were always the choice of Lance Armstrong IIRC. That may be a plus or a minus for you but it would at least suggest that they must work well, he was very choosy about his componentry.

That article is by the far the most pro Time biased one I've ever read.

Speedplays don't have a lot of maintenance unless you go for the high end models. The recommend a little bit of oil on the cleats every one in a while. That is about it.

I've done a fair bit of walking in mine too due to the ice over the past month and I find them easier than the old Shimano ones I used to have. Only difference is on tiles as the bottom of the speedplay cleat is medal compared to the rubber stoppers on the shimano gear. Can be a bit slippy if you walk on the front of your foot :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I have a pair of time rxs pedals as well.Used them for the first time in 6 month's today on the turbo.Really light front float is very strange but ok once you get used to it.

Can't comment on how robust they are even thought I have them for a year,as I never use them.Though I might use them for a while as they felt great today.

I have 105 and ultegra pedals as well,the ultegra's are fab the 105 are ok.Like the look of the look keo max2.If I was after a pedal I would go for the keo max myself,but that's just my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Two words: yellow pedals.

The keo max come in 3 different colour's,white yellow and dark grey.I was going to buy them today,but I thought I would give the time rxs carbon one last go.They felt so good on the turbo today I have maybe changed my mind.

• Advertisement

Ryaner wrote: »

In fairness, he has a very pro Speedplay one too. But the Time review is more recent.

Ryaner wrote: »
    I'd take anything on pedals with a pinch of salt, this is his opinion. I don't think he has any particular vested interest. He has another very good article comparing Ultegra and Dura-Ace- TL;DR Ultegra works basically just as well with minimal weight penalty and is half the price.

He does mention that Time don't have the best cornering clearance (I think Speedplay are better) and while he reckons it is enough, and it probably is, I HAVE clipped my pedal on a hairpin during a race (didn't come off but it was jarring.)

Everything I have read suggests that the Time cleat is indeed more walkable than other systems, whether this matters to you or not is another issue. It mattered to me... along with Time's much lower price compared to Speedplay.

lukester wrote: »
    In fairness, he has a very pro Speedplay one too. But the Time review is more recent.

I have no opinion on the merits or otherwise of Speedplays, but FFS.

"The Speedplay Zero cleat and pedal combination is the most cost effective performance upgrade you can purchase. The weight savings alone is worth the price....The only other place you can get that kind of performance upgrade is with a $1000+ set of race wheels. For someone looking for performance, these pedals are a cheap way to go a lot faster."

What a load of rubbish.

Also...

"The effect of carrying extra weight uphill can be easily measured in units called foot-pounds. A foot-pound of energy is the work required to lift one pound one vertical foot."

Foot pounds of energy? Gaaaah. No you idiot, work done is measured in Joules. 1W is 1J per second. 1J is about 100g lifted by 1m. Easy. I really despair at USAnians attachment to ridiculously antiquated units of measurement.

Ouch, he's an ounce short of full bakedness alright.
    I really despair at USAnians attachment to ridiculously antiquated units of measurement.

I do too, as I do at the UK's stubborn adherence to them.

Was almost going to moan at them sticking with sterling too, doh.

I really despair at USAnians attachment to ridiculously antiquated units of measurement.

Not just the Yanks, it's here as well.
    I'm going around looking for timber flooring at the moment, and 90% of places only advertise in square yards, and it's the law that pricing should be metric!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vision267

Don't want to hijack this thread but i need a new set of pedals.After reading this thread it's a clear choice between the time rxs and the look keo max.

I am using and have only used shimano spd sl pedals and I find them great but i would like a lighter pedal.Time have a lot of float and are light,keo max are light and are more like the shimano.Is this right, if shimano had carbon pedals they would be perfect but they don't.

I am answering my own question it's the look,but I am concerned about the cleat's and I have heard they squeak a lot and need a lot of maintainance is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my keo max 2's squeak like a bag full of mice although candle wax on the contact points (front and rear seems to sort it out pretty much), never had this problem on the old keo's so dont know if its the new gripper cleats or what

i use the red 9 degree cleats so that costs extra when you buy the pedals the keo max 2's have a better platform but i'm always tempted to go back to my old reds still the best pedals i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Lots of good pedals mentioned here.

I ride on Keo Sprints. I've tried Speedplays too. Used (heavy!) Time Ti pedals a long time ago. All are great.

Just a bit of (IMO) perspective: cornering clearance is not much of an issue in road races. It is in criteriums. None of the pedals mentioned have poor clearance. Speedplays have the best. If you don't race, clearance matters not an ounce gram.

My reason for buying Keo Sprints: they do everything right performance-wise. They are reasonably rugged. The cleats aren't a rip-off. The total weight (cleat, pedal, fasteners) beats just about any same-priced pedal available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I own a entry level pair of Shimano R540

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5369

pedals which I switch between my old and new bikes

I'm looking to get a new set of pedals to avoid the switching. My new bike
    (new is 8 months) is a Planet X SL FSA Pro with a groupset mix of Ultegra/Dura Axe.

I find the R540 fine and am asking myself why I shouldn't just get another pair (retailing at 27 stg)... They do a bit feel heavy though for their size compared to other components on the bike. And I dont know any better as I have never owned more upmarket pedals.

Why should I spend more ? What would a more expensive pedal give me ?
    2000+ miles have been done on this pedal and it feels as good as new.

I have Shimano SPD SL shoes and dont want to change these so would be looking for a compatible pedal.

I dont race but do Triathlons. What might be a sensible upgrade without going mad on price ?

Thanks Paul.

Most of the other systems are lighter even at the entry level. Whether that matters much is another matter. Entry level Time pedals for example are lighter than Dura Ace- and with Time anyway I don't think they vary much at all as you pay more, they just get (a little) lighter. Time RXS and Look Keo in particular are affordable, Speedplay are more expensive.

If you moved to another system the cleats will come with the pedal and you can use your existing shoes, you just have to change the cleat.

Too much thought going on here.

Speedplays: expensive, make you walk like a chicken.
    Time: clumsy people break the cleats.
    Shimano: made by Shimano
    Look: ...?

So basically, there's nothing wrong either Shimano or Look, but Look pedals are more French.

I see Speedplay have raised the bar with respect to "money for value". For that price I'd expect them to be made from unobtanium extracted from the fingernails of a Na'vi virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks Blorg. Didnt want to get same pedal again so went for Time RXS entry level. Chainreaction are out of them, got it here on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Time-RXS-First-Clipless-Road-Bike-Pedals-Cleats-NEW_W0QQitemZ360224738136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item53df114b58

Paul.
    blorg wrote: »
    Most of the other systems are lighter even at the entry level. Whether that matters much is another matter. Entry level Time pedals for example are lighter than Dura Ace- and with Time anyway I don't think they vary much at all as you pay more, they just get (a little) lighter. Time RXS and Look Keo in particular are affordable, Speedplay are more expensive.

If you moved to another system the cleats will come with the pedal and you can use your existing shoes, you just have to change the cleat.

I have shimano ultegra time rxs and today I got a pair of look keo max2.This is my opinion ultegra are ok to get into harder to get out of,but once you get use to them there ok.Vice like grip fab if you like sprinting I would think.Cleats last a long long time,but this is just my opinion they are heavy.Very strong and durable last for years with no real maintenance.

The time pedals are completely opposite,light very light lots of float.For me to much float can be hard to get into easy to get out of.Easy on your knee's but performance is very good cleat's last a long time as well.

The look keo and I have only used them on the turbo seems to me to be a mixture of both.Light like the time and solid like the shimano.Now that is only a first impression, and I like the look the most but the cleat's have a little mark on them already!So I think I might be selling some pedal's shotly,but I am a fickle so and so.:D:D:D

Forgot to mention the look pedal's don't have the vice like grip of the shimano a little gentlier.Easier to get out of as well,performance seems good buy I don't think they would last as long as the shimano's.I would think the shimano's would last much much longer but it is only a first impression.

All the pedal's have there good and bad point's,and if you are a big guy (over 100 kgs the keo max are not recommended.)

My top 3 are the look keo max,the shimano ultegra and then the time rxs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The Keos last well enough. Same goes for their cleats. No better/worse than others. Although I can't comment on Shimano (who the hell uses Shimano pedals? ;))

The weak point on Keos is the rear piece that pivots to let you in/out of the pedal. A couple of years ago, right before a race, one of the 2 rivets that form the pivot decided to go walkabout. No way was it going to hold the cleat.

That was the day I got to try Speedplays. And my teammate's 2-sizes-too-small shoes.

Of course, Look replaced the Keos, no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sorry for the thread hijack, but didnt see the point in starting a new one!

I am a complete noob, I have a Giant Defy 2 on the way and I'm looking for advice on what pedals to get?

I will be using the bike for commuting to work, around an 18 roundtrip and the odd jaunt at the weekend.

I was looking at the keo carbon 2's but I dont like the reports about knee pain, function and durability is what I'm after.

I have around €200 to spend on pedals and shoes, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers Murph

murph226 wrote: »
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but didnt see the point in starting a new one!

What did you conclude after reading the thread? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

What did you conclude after reading the thread? :)

Still lost I'm afraid Lumen, as I said I'm a total noob!

Do the cleats come with the pedals and do they fit any shoes?

murph226 wrote: »
    Still lost I'm afraid Lumen, as I said I'm a total noob!

Do the cleats come with the pedals and do they fit any shoes?

Cleats come with the pedals. There are basically two types of systems, MTB and road, and shoes are designed to fit one or the other. There are multiple MTB and Road systems but you can fit any MTB system to a MTB shoe and any road system to a road shoe- more or less. MTB is walkable in while road is not. Unless you are road racing get a MTB system which is far easier, cheaper and more convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sent my keo max 2 back last week with squeaky bearings (apparently its something to do with the bearing seals)
    see if i get some new ones

Advertisement