Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Site Design Software

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend a "laymans" user friendly program which allows you to build a website without having a host. Im looking to work on a website for my company in my spare time as a project and dont want to commit to registering company's names etc in case it doesnt work out....ive look at wordpress but when i do get the website up i will be looking for a .ie address...hope this males sense cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Sorry you post is a bit confusing. Are you looking for advice on setting up a website or looking for software to create a website?

I use NVU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

retenzo12 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone recommend a "laymans" user friendly program which allows you to build a website without having a host. Im looking to work on a website for my company in my spare time as a project and dont want to commit to registering company's names etc in case it doesnt work out....ive look at wordpress but when i do get the website up i will be looking for a .ie address...hope this males sense cheers

It depends what you want the website to do. It its a simple information brochure style website then you wont need any scripting language other than HTML and CSS. You can use any WYSIWYG editor to do this and then double click on the file to view it in your web browser.

Then when you're happy with it, you can upload it to the webserver.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

cheers looking for information on software available to set up the website

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

hi roadkillts just wondering if you have to have nvu as your host when you use their software..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

retenzo12 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone recommend a "laymans" user friendly program which allows you to build a website without having a host.

Depends what type of website you want but if you just want a brochure website then a good layman's tool is Xara Web Designer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 shane166

hello

Im in the middle of building my own website, Im a student so its a portfolio cv website.
    It depends what your looking for but a find dreamweaver good, its difficult at first takes a bt of practice but i learnt it by watching the tutorials at lynda.com they start from scratch in teaching the program.

You can view and test all the elements of the website before uploading it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

That's a very hard one to answer.

Wordpress isn't a tool for building websites, it's a pre-built piece of software that allows you to get a Website up and running quite quickly.

If you're building a website from scratch you will need a number of tools. A graphics program and a HTML editor.

If you are hosting your test site on your local PC, plain HTML files can be loaded directly into your browser. If you are doing client side programming (PHP,ASP.NET, databases) you will need to install software. XAMPP bundles the stuff you'll need in one installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

If you are hosting your test site on your local PC, plain HTML files can be loaded directly into your browser. If you are doing client side programming (PHP,ASP.NET, databases) you will need to install software. XAMPP bundles the stuff you'll need in one installer.

Not to be pedantic, but ASP.net,PHP etc are Server side. Javascript is client side.

Only pointing this out so the OP isnt confused

Not to be pedantic, but ASP.net,PHP etc are Server side. Javascript is client side.

That's not pedantic at all - you're spot on! I made the same typo twice yesterday (once on twitter also). I must have a subconscious desire to do some jQuery coding :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement