Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Grant Reduced???

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

The Limerick Co. Council paid me my grant yesterday, but instead of it being the usual €1140, it is instead €1083:confused:

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the budget? I thought the grant was not being reduced until the next college year:confused:

Anyone else get paid the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

current grant recipients will have their grant reduced from january.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

current grant recipients will have their grant reduced from january.
    Feckers:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

To be fair it's only about €60. It could be a lot worse.

ergonomics wrote: »
    True, in student terms we're down roughly one night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

~5% cut in all student grants wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ergonomics wrote: »

Thats ~ €120 this semester = half a months rent, and thats enough to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mossin wrote: »
    Thats ~ €120 this semester = half a months rent, and thats enough to lose.
    Many students don't get the full grant, therefore those down €120 will be in the minority.

Whiloe it is regrettable, I'm more interested in working on getting them paid on time!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Many students don't get the full grant, therefore those down €120 will be in the minority.

Whiloe it is regrettable, I'm more interested in working on getting them paid on time!

I know that many arent on full-grants, I was merely pointing out that it would be €120 :)

Btw, when are the next 2 installments of the grant due out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

January and April usually :)

However every County Council might send it at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You're lucky to get one at all. They turned me down for any kind of grant, but the "helpful" lady told me to spend 12 months on the dole and I'd get one no bother. :mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Whats the story with people getting grants for bring from a "disadvantaged" area,i see u.l advertise this access programme but i know one lad on it because he is from rathbane and their not poor?
    Same in lit people getting grants from being from a"Bad" area but drive to college

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

The Access program isn't some cash fountain for poor people, it supports students from disadvantaged areas which usually have a very low rate of acceptance into UL.

I know people on the Access and it really infuriates me when I hear misinformed individuals rant about how they don't get extra money even though their parents probably earn more in one year than the parents of access students do in ten.

It is quite an achievement to reach third level education when your family has in essence nothing financially wise so next time some pretentious snob rants about how Mummy and Daddy only gave them a budget of ten grand for the year, don't take it out on the Access students as in reality, the grants themselves are quite low anyway.

You're lucky to get one at all. They turned me down for any kind of grant, but the "helpful" lady told me to spend 12 months on the dole and I'd get one no bother. :mad::(
    That's the back to education scheme, which I think was also culled in the last budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That's the back to education scheme, which I think was also culled in the last budget.
    ULSU hat on - No it wasn't. I'd appreciate if you keep it to what you know so that I don't get floods of emails.

ninty9er wrote: »
    ULSU hat on - No it wasn't. I'd appreciate if you keep it to what you know so that I don't get floods of emails.
    Steady on, I said 'I think' fair enough if I was wrong, but there is no need to take it so personally, and unsubscribe from the thread if your so worried about getting 'floods of emails'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

The Limerick Co. Council paid me my grant yesterday, but instead of it being the usual €1140, it is instead €1083:confused:

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the budget? I thought the grant was not being reduced until the next college year:confused:

Anyone else get paid the same?

your getting money for nothing......be happy!

Daragh101 wrote: »
    your getting money for nothing......be happy!
    The purpose of threads on boards is usually to get answers, not to be preached to.

neo2010 wrote: »
    The Access program isn't some cash fountain for poor people, it supports students from disadvantaged areas which usually have a very low rate of acceptance into UL.

I know people on the Access and it really infuriates me when I hear misinformed individuals rant about how they don't get extra money even though their parents probably earn more in one year than the parents of access students do in ten.

It is quite an achievement to reach third level education when your family has in essence nothing financially wise so next time some pretentious snob rants about how Mummy and Daddy only gave them a budget of ten grand for the year, don't take it out on the Access students as in reality, the grants themselves are quite low anyway.

I didnt say it was a cash fountain but why should the area you live come into it?if your a decent perosn that just wants to study thats all that matters,.I know a person on the access program as i said he got it because rathbane is "bad" area...their an average family,deffo not a poverty case.When i apply for a grant its no go because im from raheen a "posh"area
    Ive often seen photos or articles in the local papers about awards or scholarships and when you look at where their from it seems to be a high number from areas their trying to give a positive p.r spin

neo2010 wrote: »

I dont have budget at it,so can i apply for the access progarm in u.l?

The Access Grant is means tested the same way the local council grants are, with the only difference being that if you get the Access Grant in 1st year, you are guaranteed it for 4 years, and that is often not the case with the council grant as you have to re-apply for it every year.

The Access Grant isnt targeted specifically at disadvantaged areas!
    It isnt widely advertised, but yet 92 students came to UL this year alone through the programme and 120 the year before.

• Advertisement

The Access Grant is means tested the same way the local council grants are, with the only difference being that if you get the Access Grant in 1st year, you are guaranteed it for 4 years, and that is often not the case with the council grant as you have to re-apply for it every year.

It isnt widely advertised, but yet 92 students came to UL this year alone through the programme and 120 the year before.

How the hell are places in Limerick disadvantaged?What are the areas and how do they classify them as one?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

How the hell are places in Limerick disadvantaged?What are the areas and how do they classify them as one?
    Since im in the Access Program i think ill give my thoughts.Ill tell you how places in Limerick are disadvantaged,a lack of facilities for the youth which leads them to drugs crime etc..i have seen my own friends fall into this trap and when this happens there is a lack of help as many label you with the scum tag and that help wouldnt work.People then dont go to college as many will not have done or done poorly in the Leaving.They them claim dole and stay like this for the majority of their lifes and pass these traits onto their kids.This is the case with my own area and when a lad like me attempts to actually do the opposite and go to college,thats when the access program comes in.A fantastic Program where you have great fun,meet people in similar postions to you and no crude remarks about your status as everyone is the same.While the financiall assistance is also very helpful especially if you consider that without it college may not have been an option for me.

Since im in the Access Program i think ill give my thoughts.Ill tell you how places in Limerick are disadvantaged,a lack of facilities for the youth which leads them to drugs crime etc..i have seen my own friends fall into this trap and when this happens there is a lack of help as many label you with the scum tag and that help wouldnt work.People then dont go to college as many will not have done or done poorly in the Leaving.They them claim dole and stay like this for the majority of their lifes and pass these traits onto their kids.This is the case with my own area and when a lad like me attempts to actually do the opposite and go to college,thats when the access program comes in.A fantastic Program where you have great fun,meet people in similar postions to you and no crude remarks about your status as everyone is the same.While the financiall assistance is also very helpful especially if you consider that without it college may not have been an option for me.

I live in raheen my parents work very average jobs,father on part time.There isnt alot of youth facilities except the sports like soccer,rugby.There was 2 old playgrounds but they were removed years ago but i hate people claiming this as poverty,we all grew up bored during summer holidays.Well everyone gets fee's so i dont see what else people need,i got a loan of 1500 for my reg fees

So what areas are classed as disadvantaged areas in Limerick?

If a person wants to go to college what difference where your from,thats a lame excuse if your friends wanted to go to school or college they could have done blaming their "disadvantaged area" is a very lazy excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

The purpose of threads on boards is usually to get answers, not to be preached to.

I think its also about expressing opinions......

How the hell are places in Limerick disadvantaged?
    So what areas are classed as disadvantaged areas in Limerick?

If a person wants to go to college what difference where your from,thats a lame excuse if your friends wanted to go to school or college they could have done blaming their "disadvantaged area" is a very lazy excuse

In the hope of not having to repeat myself again, I said:

The grant is means tested, the same way the council grant is, and therefore if you are entitled to the council grant, then more than likely you are entitled to the Access Grant also!!

It has feck all to do with where you are from, it has to do with how much your parents earn! This is the factor which makes it appear "disadvantaged"..

In the hope of not having to repeat myself again, I said:

The grant is means tested, the same way the council grant is, and therefore if you are entitled to the council grant, then more than likely you are entitled to the Access Grant also!!

It has feck all to do with where you are from, it has to do with how much your parents earn! This is the factor which makes it appear "disadvantaged"..

So im in l.it but after 2nd year really cant afford to stay in college,can i apply for the access programme even tho raheen is a normal area?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

So im in l.it but after 2nd year really cant afford to stay in college,can i apply for the access programme even tho raheen is a normal area?
    Did you apply for it when you went into first year?!its means tested so if your struggling so much you should get some assistance....and if you didnt apply for it well then you have yourself to blame for not bothering

Daragh101 wrote: »
    I think its also about expressing opinions......
    When an opinion is looked for.

Once again I will tell you that where you are from will have no bearing on whether you could get the Access Grant or not, it is means tested based on your parents income

Now, applying for the Access Programme is different in I.T.'s than it is in Universities. Thats not me being snobbish or anything, its just the way it is. I know this because I am a student ambassador for UL's Access Office, and last year we worked with some students from IT Tralee and L.I.T. and they got different assistance than we get here in UL.

I'd suggest that you contact the access office in L.I.T. and ask them any questions that you may have because I cant answer much more as I'm not in L.I.T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

It is so painfully obvious that you are sour about somebody else receiving a grant which you don't. Access students are entitled to this grant and a monumental fair play to them for getting this far under their circumstances.

As for you, could you please refrain from insulting people on these boards. Your ignorance stinks and if you have a problem go and jump off the highest bridge you can find.

Advertisement