Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get stuff to sushi

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys!
    I am trying to make sushi, but after two days of walking around the city centre I cant get sushi stuff. I am talking about sushi rice, seaweed, wasabi, etc. I have found crabs on howth (nice trip from centre;) ) rolling mats in 2euro store, but I just cant find any japanese store with rest. Please help me, because Im not irish, and dont know Dublin so well.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Adam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

AdamWro wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    I am trying to make sushi, but after two days of walking around the city centre I cant get sushi stuff. I am talking about sushi rice, seaweed, wasabi, etc. I have found crabs on howth (nice trip from centre;) ) rolling mats in 2euro store, but I just cant find any japanese store with rest. Please help me, because Im not irish, and dont know Dublin so well.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Adam.

tesco jervis st
    or
    oriental shop jervis st (in front of the luas stop)

this post should be in the food & drink forum though =)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

Seriously?

Asia market on drury st or the emporium on george's st. Everything you listed you can get in Asia market, including some Pocari.. mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Seriously?

Asia market on drury st or the emporium on george's st. Everything you listed you can get in Asia market, including some Pocari.. mmmmm

+1. There are tons of Asian supermarkets in the city where you can buy what you need. Don't buy this sort of stuff in Tesco as it's a ****ty brand and way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried asking in the Cooking & Recipes forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AdamWro

Hi,
    many thanks for help and quick reply:) Hope I get this today and wont die after dinner;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

There's a Japanese shop on Great Strand Street, quite near the Italian quarter. They do shellfish, sauces, great vegetables and lots of interesting sweets and cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Tescos on Lower Baggot Street has a good collection.

As for Asian Shops, there is a good Asian Supermarket on Rathmines Road.

For Fish, personally I quite like the fish sold in the Ranelagh Schoolyard Market. Donnybrook Fair fish is quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

the dublin food co-op has a good selection of sushi essentials. also, its like the moral opposite to shopping in tesco ;)

http://www.dublinfood.coop

also, for any real sushi lovers, by far the nicest sushi restaurant i've eaten in since i'm back home from Japan has been the Hop House on parnell street. I'm yet to do everyone else's favourite Yamamori mainly becasue i cant stop going to the hop house.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

for the basic ingredients, Asia Market. other asian markets in Dublin don't stock much Japanese stuff. THIS IS THE ONLY GOOD JAPANESE PLACE IN THE CITY: Supermarket Asia Market 18,Drury Street, Dublin 2. It's kind of hard to spot visually, follow your nose and know what you want 'cause it's not in English.

the raw fish for sashimi is a good deal more problematic. you need a fishmonger who can tell you exactly when and where the fish was caught and what days to expect it in...I live in Dun laoghaire and the two places that I've found that have sashimi quality raw fish and knowledgeable fishmongers are the fish shops in Howth (end of the dart line, easy enough to get to) and Cavistons. I believe there are others but those are reliable. In Cavistons Glasthule, make sure that you don't talk to an assistant, just an owner. Same is probably true all over.

let's face it, it's not caught locally, find a really knowledgeable fishmonger locally and develop a relationship.

Advertisement