Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITEC Online Teaching Assistant Course

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey

I'm interested in an online Teaching Assistant Course with ITEC.

http://www.irishtraining.ie/career/teaching-assistant.html

Does anyone know anything about ITEC, I mean is it pretty kosher?, I'm just worried about registering and then ending up with a rubbish qualification!!!

Thanks in advance

Rach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The course doesn't appear to be accredited by anyone, so I don't know how much use it would be in the workplace, or how recognised it would be.

"Equivalent to FETAC level 5" is not the same as "FETAC level 5".

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

I am also thinking about doing the itec online teaching assistant course, i was wondering if anyone has completed this course and would they recommed it??? thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You would be better off looking at a FETAC certified course. Even a single module at Level 5 would have more standing than this course.

However if you want to work in a school as an SNA /TA then you minimum level of education you need is a Junior Cert in Maths, English and in some cases Irish. Otherwise you may have problems being ratified in the position by the Dept of Education.

Other levels of qualification may be set by each schools Board of Management and these can include Fetac level 5 SNA courses etc.

As for ITEC they aren't a recognised accrediting body in Ireland and unless they are affiliated to one which is then their qualifications aren't worth a whole lot.

Sometimes they are mistaken for the International Therapy Examining Council (ITEC) http://www.itecworld.co.uk/, which is a recognised body that provides accreditation to range of beauty therapy, sport and fitness qualifications.

Short answer: If I need the certification I would spend my money on something else.

Advertisement