Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

engine is chugging/sputtering at low revs

• 14-01-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

So over crimbo my bike has behaving oddly, at low revs it sputters/chuggs at low revs, and if i pull in the clutch, the engine dies :(
    It's very very annoying, as i'm filtering through traffic i gotta restart the engine. Bike is FZS600, '99 model, i had the guy in lucan have a quick look at it, said i don't have all 4 cylinders? Well he drained these 4 screws and petrol came out, he said some water was in the cyclinder, this was yesterday, and the problem is still here :(
    Any ideas? Can't be carb icing, it happens when starting off, and on the move, and when stopping.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Xios wrote: »
    So over crimbo my bike has behaving oddly, at low revs it sputters/chuggs at low revs, and if i pull in the clutch, the engine dies :(
    It's very very annoying, as i'm filtering through traffic i gotta restart the engine. Bike is FZS600, '99 model, i had the guy in lucan have a quick look at it, said i don't have all 4 cylinders? Well he drained these 4 screws and petrol came out, he said some water was in the cyclinder, this was yesterday, and the problem is still here :(
    Any ideas? Can't be carb icing, it happens when starting off, and on the move, and when stopping.

moisture in the fuel, I have this problem sometimes on the bandit.

sounds like you have it a lot worse then i do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Thanks hobo, i should be getting the tank changed on saturday, so i guess i should just put up with it till then :(

Thanks hobo, i should be getting the tank changed on saturday, so i guess i should just put up with it till then :(

are you getting any white-ish smoke on startup in the mornings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Yeah, it gets smokey, i figured that was just water sitting in the exhaust as the bike is kept outside, i have a blanket for it, but i don't use it all the time.

Any preventative action i could take in the future to stop this thing happening again?

Sounds exactly like mine, think its something you just have to put up with AFAIK... the joys of biking.

get some silkolene pro fst for the carb icing, should fix that.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like mine, think its something you just have to put up with AFAIK... the joys of biking.

get some silkolene pro fst for the carb icing, should fix that.

The silkolene stuff is the business. My old roadstar was a nightmare in the cold weather, running rough and cutting out like your bike. The silkolene stuff made a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't be carb icing, it happens when starting off, and on the move, and when stopping.

Sounds like carb icing, in bad cases it can build up in the carbs as you ride along! (one time on my first bike, the throttle froze open :eek: ) Usually more of a problem before the engine is fully warmed up though. You might try letting the bike warm up for a couple of minutes in cold damp weather before you ride off. Some bikes are just very prone to it though, especially Jap market imports, sometimes carb heaters can be fitted, or the additive mentioned seems to work for people.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There should be a little drain hole somewhere in the exhaust to let rain out. But it'd be forced out when you start the bike anyway, and wouldn't be able to get near the cylinders, unless you parked it at the bottom of a lake or something :D

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

If you can't get your hands on Silkolene Pro-FST just go away to Halfords and pick up a bottle of Wynn's Dry Fuel. You add that to the tank and it does the same job as Pro-FST, emulsifies any moisture in with the fuel so it gets burnt off and doesn't stick to the carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

My bandits carbs ice up within a 2-3 mins in this weather.
    Pro-fst or isopropyl alcohol added to the tank should sort it (around 1-2%).
    Cheaper to try this before brining it the shop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement