Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro 2033 [360,PC]

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

305f97e09019e71b6778193fdeb17f63.jpg

http://www.metro2033game.com/

Publisher: THQ
    Release: Early 2010
    Formats: Xbox360, PC
    Set in the shattered subway of a post apocalyptic Moscow, Metro 2033 is a story of intensive underground survival where the fate of mankind rests in your hands.

In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and the mutant horrors that await outside.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.
    •Metro 2033 is a gripping, atmospheric first person shooter experience powered by cutting edge technology, featuring full DX10 and NVDIA PhysX support for high-end gaming PCs, to deliver incredible visuals.
    •Witness the everyday horrors of a broken society living in constant fear.
    •Brave the darkness of the tunnels, where mutants hunt their prey and ghostly spirits lurk.
    •Explore the desolate city-surface, trusting your gas mask and rifle to protect you from a poisoned world and the creatures that roam there.
    •Steel your nerve and prepare to face the terrors that await.

Gamespot first look: http://ow.ly/xmDZ

Screenshot gallery: http://bit.ly/pZ7F3

Story Trailer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I heard about this a while ago but this is the first footage I've seen. It's a good premise, but I can't help but get the feeling that it might go the way of Stalker and claim to do more than it actually does (but that could just be the whole "Russian" thing they have in common :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

looks good. Although I'm not liking all the poorly lit corridors... reminds me of my experience with Doom 3. I'm hoping there is a bit more variety to the environment than merely being underground in metro tunnels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Read up on this in a recent issue of PC Zone, looks a class act in my view. Sort of came out of nowhere, I certainly have not been following its development!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    looks good. Although I'm not liking all the poorly lit corridors... reminds me of my experience with Doom 3. I'm hoping there is a bit more variety to the environment than merely being underground in metro tunnels.
    From what I've read, it's mainly tunnels, but the areas are all done differently to represent how each of the metro communities are run. You also get to go to the surface from time to time, but I've no idea if that's a major part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Aye, was featured in PCZone and EDGE this month.

Am gonna look to get the book that the story is based on, supposedly its free to download :)

"The Book "Metro 2033 by Dimitri Glockhovsky was distributed freely on the internet!

FYI, its a linear based game, in case anyone was thinking its gonna be a Fallout type of game, still, can't beat a good story, should be good :D
    Also, bullets are used as currency, so they have to be rationed etc for fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Aye, was featured in PCZone and EDGE this month.

Am gonna look to get the book that the story is based on, supposedly its free to download :)

"The Book "Metro 2033 by Dimitri Glockhovsky was distributed freely on the internet!

FYI, its a linear based game, in case anyone was thinking its gonna be a Fallout type of game, still, can't beat a good story, should be good :D
    Also, bullets are used as currency, so they have to be rationed etc for fights.

the book (obviously) has massive spoilers for the game tho, be warned. Also, im not sure if an english translation is available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Release date confirmed:
    Metro 2033 Release Date Confirmed! It's hitting stores 16th March in the US and Germany, 18th March in Australia and 19th March in the UK and the rest of Europe. Keep your eyes peeled for Trailer 3 and a wave of Metro 2033 coverage next week...

Limited edition details
    What's in the Metro 2033 Limited Edition you ask? Why, an exclusive in-game weapon – the formidable automatic shotgun – and four art cards by the Russian painter Anton Grechko, who was commissioned to create a range of artwork inspired by the universe of Metro 2033.

This Automatic Shotgun boasts an incredible fire rate and much larger shell capacity. The weapon is extremely powerful, the only drawback being a long reload time! It uses standard shotgun ammo.

After unlocking the weapon with your code, you will be able to collect it from the Trading Point in ‘Armoury’ Station, which you visit mid-way through the game. Don’t forget to collect it!

19148_274549172767_150510027767_3323816_3168166_n.jpg

Dammit, I'm going to have to learn to read posts before looking at the pictures. I got all excited that they were giving away a model gun with the game. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

humanji wrote: »
    Dammit, I'm going to have to learn to read posts before looking at the pictures. I got all excited that they were giving away a model gun with the game. :o

lol me too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

humanji wrote: »

I thought it was real :eek:

Really looking forward to this game. Everything sounds really impressive about it.

• Advertisement

2 new gametrailers videos:

Combat & Tech:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/61788.html

& Life after nuclear war:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/61789.html

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

cautiously optimistic about this - however THQ havent been involved in a good fps since Red Faction - might be decent

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Remember if you buy on Steam you get a free copy of Red Faction Guerrilla:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/43110/

However Valve never seem to realize that 49.99 USD does not = 49.99 EUR, so I won't buy new releases from them until they fix the exchange rates, Battlefield Bad Company 2 being the exception of course ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its not coming out now till the 19th of march.

Hercule wrote: »
    cautiously optimistic about this - however THQ havent been involved in a good fps since Red Faction - might be decent

THQ only publish the game. Nothing to do with development. This is being developed by 4A, the original team behind Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Its not coming out now till the 19th of march.

That was always the release date ;)

THQ only publish the game. Nothing to do with development. This is being developed by 4A, the original team behind Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

That was always the release date ;)

Oh I thought it the was the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Oh I thought it the was the 5th.

16th for the yanks & 19th for us.

new preview takes a look at the 360 version, and the PC version in 3D

http://ow.ly/194e2
    The first thing I realise that this is not just a game of shoot, shoot, kill, kill like most games in the genre. This is a deeply moving, engaging and atmospheric work of art that focuses on its narrative and design to give as much reality and credence to the book that the game is based on
    I was also presented with the first level of the PC version in 3D. All I can really say is that my jaw dropped at the spectacle I saw before me. Dust particles in the air around me, the moonlight shimmering through my crosshair towards me and the looking through the iron sight I saw a depth of gaming and an added dimension that I have never experienced before. It brought the world to you and not you into the world.
    So there you have it. Metro 2033 could be one of the biggest hitters this year. Some people will chastise the game for being a lone experience but I have come to an age where I want atmosphere, narrative driven games that offer something a little more than your standard game. I want immersion, I want originality and I want something that can not only deliver entertainment but makes me want to explore a world that has been created in a realism (in a game sense) that doesn’t seem as fictional as it may appear. Metro 2033 so far delivers on all fronts so with the novel in hand, a cup of coffee and waiting for the e-mail from THQ to say that I can play the game further before the review copy comes through I cannot recommend this game enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

this game looks great.

cant wait

A video i made for metro 2033 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Minimum System Requirements:

# Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
    # DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
    # 1GB RAM

Recommended System Requirements:

# Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
    # DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
    # 2GB RAM

Optimum System Requirements:

# Core i7 CPU
    # NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
    # As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
    # Fast HDD or SSD

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53357/Metro-2033-PC-System-Requirements-Revealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Optimum
    WTF :eek: they not out for weeks

WTF? :confused: Badly coded, memory leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Burgo wrote: »
    Optimum System Requirements:

# Core i7 CPU
    # Fast HDD or SSD

Holy mother of jaysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Optimum
    WTF :eek: they not out for weeks

WTF? :confused: Badly coded, memory leak?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article?page=2
    All of these optimisations mean that the PC version of Metro 2033 benefits too.

"We don't need as much system memory as other PC-only games. Anything above 512MB RAM with DX10/DX11 code-path on Win7 would be enough," Shishkovtsov says. "DirectX 9 uses system memory backing store for almost all GPU resources, so you should add around 256 MB to avoid page-file swapping.

Made up figures are made up...

Advertisement