Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Photographs of Children

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm currently writing my undergraduate thesis for my BA degree in Photography in DIT. My paper deals with the issue of sexual imagery on the internet and whether the fear of this coupled with the potential for spreading a photograph throughout the internet has an effect on the way photographs are viewed. There is currently a trend, especially in the UK, of parents viewing photographers with increasing mistrust, even in situations where the photographer is taking images of his or her own child, with other children ignored or included in the shot by necessity.

I'm posting this in parenting because, as parents, the people in this forum will have certain views of different people taking photos of their children. I'm hoping that a few of you will take the time to answer the below questions as honestly as possible, it'd really help me to get a parent's perspective and I feel that this forum will allow people to answer more openly than they would if I were to approach them on the street, at a playground etc.

1. If you saw a stranger taking photos of your child in a public setting, what would your initial reaction be?

2. More specifically, what would influence this reaction? (examples: age/sex of the photographer, location of the image) Why?

3. If the photographer explained that he/she was just taking images to use in a portfolio, how would you feel? Why?

4. If the photographer explained that they were writing an article for a well known newspaper, would that be more or less acceptable (in your opinion) than someone taking the photos for a portfolio?

5. Would being told that the image of your child would be publicly visible on the internet make you more or less likely to allow the photographer to take the images?

6. If the photographer did not mention the possibility of the image appearing online, would you inquire about this?

7. If you found, at any stage, an image of your child or a child you know on the internet, be it on a personal site or accompanying a news article, would you request it removed? If so, why? If not, why not?

Any responses to the above questions would be greatly appreciated, I'm really interested in getting your take on the subject.

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Thanks for the reply metrovelvet.

While, as you say, you might be more paranoid about this stuff than others, my suspicion is that this is a pretty common view. If you don't mind my asking, what is it about pictures of your son being online that makes you uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have no problem with photos of my kids being taken or put online as long as I know the photographer. For example we got shots taken of our kids by a photographer who now uses them for promotional purposes online and in shopping centres. I have no problem with that.

I would find some random stranger in a playground taking photos odd though and would not approve of that. Whether the photos are going online or not would not change that opinion.

So to me it all comes down to whether I know the photographer or not...nothing to do with what they are being used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Thanks for the reply ludo.

Again, a follow up question. You say that you would find it odd seeing a stranger taking photos in a playground. That's a common view and it predates the internet, because obviously people are worried about sexual predators and a playground is a fairly stereotypical place for deviants to go.

However, let's say that I'm a tall, male, 22 year old (all true!) who isn't lurking or doing anything 'weird'. I simply come in and start snapping. I might even approach you as the parent first and explain what I'm doing, and show you examples of what I'm trying to capture. The images would be used for an online portfolio of work to promote myself as a photographer. Would you find that objectionable or would knowing my motives make you more comfortable?

And again, would knowing the images would be displayed on a website, albeit a professional photographer's 'trade' site, influence whether you let me take the images or not? Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've been approached a few times by people wanting to take photographs of my children and I've also said no. I've also been in situations where people have just taken photos of them without permission which drives me (and them) nuts and is also unfair because the people who asked don't get the shot but the rude ones do. I just find it very obstrusive.... there my kids are enjoying themselves and when they realise there's a camera pointed at them they become very uncomfortable.

if I saw a young man seemingly unattached to any child in the playground taking photographs of the kids I'd probably ring the gardai..... if you approached me and explained as above I'd be less wary of you and your motives but I'd still say no.
    Any photographer should have access to enough friends and family with children without having to approach strangers (or not) in a playground so I would just find it odd.

However, let's say that I'm a tall, male, 22 year old (all true!) who isn't lurking or doing anything 'weird'. I simply come in and start snapping. I might even approach you as the parent first and explain what I'm doing, and show you examples of what I'm trying to capture. The images would be used for an online portfolio of work to promote myself as a photographer. Would you find that objectionable or would knowing my motives make you more comfortable?

And again, would knowing the images would be displayed on a website, albeit a professional photographer's 'trade' site, influence whether you let me take the images or not? Thanks in advance.

Littlebugs answer would probably sum up my feelings to your follow up question. Don't know if it matters but I am male also by the way.
    littlebug wrote: »
    if you approached me and explained as above I'd be less wary of you and your motives but I'd still say no.
    Any photographer should have access to enough friends and family with children without having to approach strangers (or not) in a playground so I would just find it odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

1. If you saw a stranger taking photos of your child in a public setting, what would your initial reaction be?

I would demand the SD card from the camera. If the person refused, I would take it by force. Why does someone need to take a picture of my child? I can't think of a scenario where this would be necessary of interesting for someone.

2. More specifically, what would influence this reaction? (examples: age/sex of the photographer, location of the image) Why?

I would view anyone photographing my children all equally with suspicion.

3. If the photographer explained that he/she was just taking images to use in a portfolio, how would you feel? Why?

I would say no. I find it difficult to think of a scenario where pictures of my children are required for artistic reasons.

4. If the photographer explained that they were writing an article for a well known newspaper, would that be more or less acceptable (in your opinion) than someone taking the photos for a portfolio?

If the person is a known journalist and can show this, and my child has been involved in something newsworthy, then sure. But otherwise, I can't think of a valid reason for my kids to be photographed.

5. Would being told that the image of your child would be publicly visible on the internet make you more or less likely to allow the photographer to take the images?

Less likely. But I would assume that any journalistic photography would end up in the internet.

6. If the photographer did not mention the possibility of the image appearing online, would you inquire about this?

Yes

7. If you found, at any stage, an image of your child or a child you know on the internet, be it on a personal site or accompanying a news article, would you request it removed? If so, why? If not, why not?

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

That depends. Are they with their own children? Is my child just being caught in the shot or is a person specifically taking shots of her playing? If it was the former I probably wouldn't even notice. The latter would make me very uncomfortable.
    Age and sex wouldn't bother me. If they were there without their own children it'd bother me. If they were lurking, it'd bother me. If my child was in swimming togs it's bother me a great deal.

I would think it was very rude of them not to have asked me initially and I would be inclined to ask them to stop.

Depends on the location. If it was a race or a fundraiser or a sporting event then it would be ok once permission was asked first, especially if it were a solo shot as opposed to a crowd shot. If it were just down the park on the swings then I'd be wary of their excuses and annoyed they hadn't asked me.

Neither. That wouldn't bother me so long as the child was fully clothed.

No
    Probably not so long as it was tasteful. The internet thing doesn't bother me. The child is no more at risk from danger by having their pic on the internet than being in the local shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You do not have the right o take anyones photo with out thier permission esp if it id them clearly and you do not have the right to photograph my child with out my permission or to reproduce or publish thier image.
    Those would be the reason I would stop someone taking photos of my children.

I would think a hell of a lot less of a professional photographer who didn't check first and ask permission and I would approach anyone who started taking pictures of my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Context is important....little story; We were in Thailand this time last year for a month and we had our little girl with us. Blonde hair, blue eyes, pale white skin. She was like a flippin' rock star over there. One day we noticed a lady taking photos of her at the place we were staying at. She was an amateur photographer, talked to us for a bit, took my email address and offered to send on the pictures. Now she was fully clothed and the photographer was female. Also the fact that she stood out a bit over there (we had to account for extra time when heading out to the shops with people stopping us on the street, no joke) meant I wasn't on my guard.

But...if it were a public beach in Ireland and she were in a swimsuit and the photographer were male....well....like others here I'd be very aggressive initially to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

You do not have the right o take anyones photo with out thier permission esp if it id them clearly and you do not have the right to photograph my child with out my permission or to reproduce or publish thier image.
    Do you know if there is legisation to this effect? Do you have a source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Those would be the reason I would stop someone taking photos of my children.

I would think a hell of a lot less of a professional photographer who didn't check first and ask permission and I would approach anyone who started taking pictures of my child.

I feel similar to many here already, even though I am a photographer myself, I would be wary of strangers taking pics of my girls.

I do have to say though, this above is incorrect! A photographer has the right to take pictures of anything or anyone in a public place, there are no restrictions, however there is something called model release so an image of an identifiable person in a public place cannot be sold commercially without sufficient attempts to receive model release.

You may correct me if I have errored here but this has come up on the photography forum and this is whati believe to be correct at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

di11on wrote: »

I would demand the SD card from the camera. If the person refused, I would take it by force. Why does someone need to take a picture of my child? I can't think of a scenario where this would be necessary of interesting for someone.

Assault and criminal damage. Pretty much open and shut case.

By law, a photographer does have the right in a public place with very very little grey area.

(Remember this is country where the gov will get tens of billions to wbankers within a few months but take years and years to enact a childrens legislation.)

A few months ago, a male and female were taking photos of kids in our local playground. Gardai were called and asked to act. They legally couldn't and couldn't even demand to look at the photos. There's very little they can do without a court order. What they did do was take the names which resulted in them cooperating with the Gardai and deleting the photos (easily recoverable though). Kinda helped that some angry mums were in attendence.

more:
    http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/05/09/photographers-rights/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I own the rights to my own image and my children own the rights to their's and I am their legal guardian.

My children's school and other groups they are invovled with have to send home a request/permission form if there are to be photos of them taken, from end of year photos to sports day or even class projects.

It has nothing to do with scaremongering it is the right to privacy.

I own the rights to my own image and my children own the rights to their's and I am their legal guardian.

My children's school and other groups they are invovled with have to send home a request/permission form if there are to be photos of them taken, from end of year photos to sports day or even class projects.

Thats different though, a school is not a public place. I suggest you look up photography copyright. In Ireland the only person to own the rights without a predetermined contract is the photographer.

I answered a similar one recently on the photography forum, probably a classmate of yours.

I am aware of laws of photographing in public places etc so I know it is allowed. I always thought it would annoy me but last time I was aware of someone doing it I was quite proud and happy that another photographer was seeing what I was seeing and captured it, just such a pity that I couldnt get to them before they disappeared into the crowd so I could see them.

I would be a bit freaked out if my kids were in swimsuits by a pool and a man was standing specifically taking pictures of them.

I would be happy enough and would most likely ask for them to email me copies if possible.

Neither here nor there.

Neither here nor there I have images of them online, I am happy for their picture to be online if they are adequately dressed etc

Possibly so I could know where so I could show the kids

No, the only time I have requested images to be removed is when there are people breaching my own copyright

Hope this helps Rob, I know my answers are different to most but that would be because of having a photography background.

I also used to have a child portrait studio for a bit and only ever encountered one person who requested their childs image not be put online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi everybody,

I'm currently writing my undergraduate thesis for my BA degree in Photography in DIT. My paper deals with the issue of sexual imagery on the internet and whether the fear of this coupled with the potential for spreading a photograph throughout the internet has an effect on the way photographs are viewed. There is currently a trend, especially in the UK, of parents viewing photographers with increasing mistrust, even in situations where the photographer is taking images of his or her own child, with other children ignored or included in the shot by necessity.

I'm posting this in parenting because, as parents, the people in this forum will have certain views of different people taking photos of their children. I'm hoping that a few of you will take the time to answer the below questions as honestly as possible, it'd really help me to get a parent's perspective and I feel that this forum will allow people to answer more openly than they would if I were to approach them on the street, at a playground etc.

Any responses to the above questions would be greatly appreciated, I'm really interested in getting your take on the subject.

Rob
    Personally I think you should try to take a more original concept grown out of the concept you have given as a kind of brief. The responses are obvious based on the concept that you gave up. It is a given that parents will be objective and it is an early start for feedback.

Your idea at the moment is pretty generic because it is simply at the research stage. Be prepared to change your idea and go down another path sooner rather than later.

Your concept at the moment is about how photography can be invasive, Correct?. You shouldn't limit your research to this.

Maybe you should be looking at how it can be less invasive as an art. Or indeed can it be an art without being invasive? Or is it simply the fact that photography due to the fact that almost everyone has a cam these days... a dilution of the art form?

Point a cam at anyone at any given situation on the street and see their reaction being aware of the cam. Catch them without them seeing the cam and capture a different person i.e. more real. This in my view will show (if you can pull it off) a view from the lens that is a view from the cam from both points of view. I.e. the aware as opposed to the unaware.

In a way this would expose the cam view as opposed to the unaware of the cam view and provide an interesting thesis as such.

I.e. photograph someone unawares, then capture them aware of the photo and see the difference. This would show something towards how photography and cameras affect folks.

Sources for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

1. I would be wary. It would depend very much on the situation.

2. Factors;
    - Does it look like a pro photographer?
    - What are the children doing? (playing on beach = bad, playing in park = good, etc)
    - Is there any info identifying the children?

3. If the photographer gave this information prior to taking photos, great. It would depend greatly on attitude of photographer.

4. More

5. See 2 above.

6. Yes

7. See 2 above.

On reflection the main factor influencing my level of concern is the nature of the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I would immediately approach them, ask them their name and why they were taking pictures. If they didn't have a reasonable explanation I would telephone gardai/ask them to stop and leave with my child.

Wouldn't matter- the fact that they are a stranger is enough.

I would not consider this a reasonable explanation.

Only if I believed them- I would think there would have to be a good reason for an article and why would normal children playing be a good reason?

I would assume if a newspaper took a photo that they would be on the net.

No.

If it was taken without my knowledge and consent I would ask questions about that but as to removing it- it depends on the context.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You do not have the right o take anyones photo with out thier permission

err actually if your on public property somebody can take your photo without asking you, its actually perfectly legal
    Thats different though, a school is not a public place. I suggest you look up photography copyright. In Ireland the only person to own the rights without a predetermined contract is the photographer.

Couldn't agree more,

Thaedydal you really should look up the laws instead of assuming what you believe to be the law as this is only spreading misinformation which isn't very helpful to people including yourself imho.

I'm not trying to attack you and I honestly can see where your coming from but assuming such things could actually cause more problems for people then if they actually knew the facts.

Its no different to assume you'd have some sort of twisted right to take the persons memory card by force, such actions could actually land the parent in more trouble with the Gardai.

3DataModem wrote: »
    1. I would be wary. It would depend very much on the situation.

2. Factors;
    - Does it look like a pro photographer?

and what does a pro look like?
    Somebody with a expensive looking DSLR and a big white lens? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Overall, I have no issue with pictures of my children being taken or put up on-line with my permission. I know where my kids are at all times and I know they are are safe. Although what someone can do with a photograph is unsavoury and unpleasant, it isn't actually physically harming my child.

In saying that, if I saw someone specifically taking pictures of my kids without even asking if they could, I would confront them and ask them to stop - because it's just rude and more than a bit creepy, especially if the kids were in swim-suits or something.

Photography can easily be used as a way to interact with a child or get them to speak or look at an adult, which would make me wary too. I suppose it all comes down to situation and motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If the child is happy having their photograph taken, then I don't see the harm. As was mentioned above, it's not about risk, but about personal privacy.

There is a lot of paranoia in the above replies regarding sexual predators.
    Paedophiles don't walk around taking pictures of random kids. Paedophiles are in fact very likely to be someone you know and trust. Friends, relatives etc actually pose a greater chance of harming your child.

Now, back to the photographs. Lets take an example where a predator is for some reason walking around with a camera. Do you really think that he/she is going to be interested in taking pictures of your clothed child? If they want to see pictures of boys/girls, they can just do a quick Google image search and get a few million results. By their very nature, they are really only going to be interested in the non-innocent picture types. And they are not going to get them walking around a park/street with a camera. Even if they take a pic of your child and upload it to some website, does it in any way harm your child?

Paranoia has led us to a society where children are being raised to be terrified of every adult male, primary school teachers are 80%+ female, and men can't even walk around a public area with a camera for fear of being labeled a paedophile.

So in summary, a person taking a pic of your child in a public area cannot in any way harm your child so long as they are happy having their photo taken. Leave them be, and don't make any unfair presumptions about their intent. Put an end to this insane paranoia.

If someone was taking random photos of me, I'd ask them to stop, too. A camera doesn't give you the right to impede on peoples privacy and start snapping while they are trying to have a day out or whatever. I don't want to have random strangers interacting with me or my children, camera or no - I certainly wouldn't just leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

My son plays soccer, and on numerous occassions Ive asked people from the away team to stop takiing photos and the reply i get back most of the time is "Im taking pictures of my chlid" Horse**** I dont know what this guy is going to do with these pictures even if my son is not in them.
    As far as Im aware he has no right to photograph my son. I have posted this in the Legal Discussions Forum but didnt get a full answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My son plays soccer, and on numerous occassions Ive asked people from the away team to stop takiing photos and the reply i get back most of the time is "Im taking pictures of my chlid" Horse**** I dont know what this guy is going to do with these pictures even if my son is not in them.
    As far as Im aware he has no right to photograph my son. I have posted this in the Legal Discussions Forum but didnt get a full answer.

So every adult out there is a bad person? You seem to have serious trust issues.
    That's not meant as an insult but as an expression of concern for you.

And what exactly could this guy do with pictures of your son that could possibly harm him?

Oh, and anyone can legally take pictures of you in a public place. If it were illegal, you wouldn't have paparazzi snapping hundreds of pics of celebs.

There's nothing illegal about random people walking up to kids in the playground and trying to chat with them either but, unsurprisingly, parents take a rather dim view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would question the photographer why they were taking the photos etc.

Purely for me to get a feel for the reason for the photo

I would be fine with this. I would ask to see some of the photos and if they were innocent shots of my child or group shots of children playing (for example) I would be fine. It is the "style" of the photo that I would be looking at.

Probably even more acceptable.

Again, dependent on the style of the photo, I would not have a problem with this.

No, it would not have even occured to me to think of this. But now after reading this, I will!

Again, depending on the "style" - if it did not make sense to have the photo on a personal site I would ask for it to be removed. If it was accompanying an article and the photo and the article made sense I would be fine with this.

I think a bit of logic and common sense (and no hysteria!) will guide you in the above circumstances.

Like think logically! A paedophile can access a million photos of children - clothed/semi-clothed/naked/being sexually abused (God forbid) - at the tap of a button. Why would they want a photograph of your/my child?

Equally, I would not be complacent. Ask to see the photos, if they are innocent shots fine. If you are concerned about them, ask for them to be deleted. If the person will not delete, take action, call gards if neccessary - on basis of the content of the photo ie. not with a hysterical rant about a person taking photos of your child which they don't have a right to do (which they do) and god forbid do not go about assaulting the photographer and stealing his property (memory card).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No, once a photographer takes a photo they own the rights to it (ie. "your image").

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the child is happy having their photograph taken, then I don't see the harm. As was mentioned above, it's not about risk, but about personal privacy.

There is a lot of paranoia in the above replies regarding sexual predators.
    Paedophiles don't walk around taking pictures of random kids. Paedophiles are in fact very likely to be someone you know and trust. Friends, relatives etc actually pose a greater chance of harming your child.

Now, back to the photographs. Lets take an example where a predator is for some reason walking around with a camera. Do you really think that he/she is going to be interested in taking pictures of your clothed child? If they want to see pictures of boys/girls, they can just do a quick Google image search and get a few million results. By their very nature, they are really only going to be interested in the non-innocent picture types. And they are not going to get them walking around a park/street with a camera. Even if they take a pic of your child and upload it to some website, does it in any warm harm your child?

Some very valid points, I always find it funny that the same people that are complaining about a person taking a picture and putting it up on the net have taken pictures and put them up on the net themselfs....

The whole world including google to see.....irconic really

• Advertisement

What if you wanted a picture of your child and somebody kept shouting over at you to stop...they don't know what you might do with the pictures.

It works both ways

If the pitch is on private property then the owner of the property could ask him to stop...that doesn't mean you have an automatic right though, if however its public then he has ever right in the world to take the photo of his kid or anyone else at the match.

Advertisement