Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over, around and through

• 14-01-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Over around and through refers to a big puddle i had to tackle 3 times in the luton marathon. First lap i jumped it and clearer it by miles. Second lap i had started to feel my hamstring so i went around it. Third lap i was exausted and it was so close to the end i ran straight through it and destroyed myself with dirty water. I think that this shows the differing mental and physical swings i went though to a tee.
    I like reading other peoples logs so i though it was time i started my own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I suppose i should have posted what my goals were for the year.
    My goal is to run somewhere between 10-15 marathons. Alot of these will be run at lsr pace in preperation for goal marathons. Goal is to go sub 3h30 asap and then train for 3h15 hopefully. Maybe wishful thinking but if i dont do it , it wont be for lack of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good luck with the log Frank, thats some amount of marathons you plan to run in one year. Is Ken doing these with you?

Ken is doing paris, edinburgh and Dublin so far heff. God knows after that. I suppose it will depend how he gets on in those. His training is going well at the moment. Hes nearly upto 20 miles, so should be alright in paris.

Just a quick note on my training so far this week.
    Monday=rest day

Tuesday= 10 miles at planned marathon pace in gloucester. 7.48 per mile. Felt grand so all bodes well.

Wednesday=20 mile lsr. Started outside the house in Coolock and ran to the phoenix park, 8 miles. Another 10 miles in the park, actually most of the Dublin half marathon course. Then a nice 2 miles through town to my bus stop. Overall 8.20 mile pace with a little bit quicker the last 5 miles. Felt grand but legs were starting to hurt.

Thursday=2 miles slow to the gym and 7 miles on a treadmill. Only did it that way to get down to use the sauna and hydro pool. Was nice and slow and felt great after it. Rest day tomorrow:D

Rest days on friday and saturday due to work and needing to rest a stiff hamstring.
    Went out today with the intention of doing between 10 and 13 miles at a comfortable pace. Ran from coolock to sutton and back down the coast to clontarf and back up the malihide road. 14 miles in the end.
    Felt comfortable throughout with no problems. I brought the garmin with me but turned it around and didnt look at the pace one. When i was finished i was pleased to see that i was only about 10 secs a mile over my pmp for gloucester next week:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    When i was finished i was pleased to see that i was only about 10 secs a mile over my pmp for gloucester next week:D
    What's on in Gloucester? Good luck with it whatever it is!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    What's on in Gloucester? Good luck with it whatever it is!
    Gloucester marathon:D

Set out to do 10 miles at fast steady pace. I wanted to be feeling it but not have laboured breathing. If i felt it was to hard i pulled back and just kept it steady. Tried to do an even pace and not suffer on the hilly bits like i usually do.
    worked out a treat and fininshed 10 miles at 7.45 miles in 1h17m28s. Didnt feel tired at the end and felt good actually.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22674196

5 miles tuesday and 5 miles tonight. 3 rest days now and Gloucester marathon Sunday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck in the Marathon Oisin (Frank?). What's the target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Interesting stuff Oisin.....a bit of a different approach but interesting all the same. Good luck with Glouchester although you probably don't need it since its 'just' and lsr. Fair play to ya.

Do you travel a lot with work or something? Will be an expensive year with travel costs and race entry. Its for a good cause though ;)

• Advertisement

Im going to have another go at 3h30 krusty. Feeling better than i did before Dublin and i just missed it there. Not that expensive misty. Flights were 20 euro return. Hotel is about 70. All in all ill probably spend about 150-200 euros. I spent that on a night out a couple of weeks ago. Ill love to crack 3h30 so i could have a crack and train for 3h15 at Edinburgh.
    Yeah real name is "Frank":)

Fair play to Frank good luck with the run

There is alot to be said for preperation. Lets just say misson accomplished and then some:D

3.24:)
    Started off fast and maintained my pace throughout. I hit a rocky patch at about 22 miles but dug deep. It was 4 miles then 3 laps of equal distance. Very undulating. Long story short I did 3.24 with a distance of 26.41 miles in a pace of 7.43 mins per mile.
    I finished full of beans and i am delighted. Every mile was under 8.00 per mile even the really hilly ones. I took 4 gels and lots of fluid. Its a pb of 13 mins and in the hardest marathon course i have ever done(go figure).
    Had a lot of company on the way round and not once did i falter of pace.
    Cant speak highly enough of this marathon and i was in good nick at the end so it bodes well for future races:D

Congrats on the pb, thats great running on a tough course.

Thanks bud:D
    3.11 in edinburgh:D

Brilliant stuff Oisin well done. Any chance you could give us an idea of what your training was like on the run up to this one? Average weekly mileage and how many 18+ runs did you do....that kind of thing.

Brilliant stuff Oisin well done. Any chance you could give us an idea of what your training was like on the run up to this one? Average weekly mileage and how many 18+ runs did you do....that kind of thing.
    Yeah no probs bud. I had luton marathon on 6th of december so it was an easy week after that.

06-12-09 to 12-12-09
    40 miles with long run of 12 at pace.

13-12-09 to 19-12-09
    This week was 53 miles and long run of only 15 at pace

20-12-09 to 26-12-09
    Week around the christmas was 40 miles with long run of 12.5 at pace.

27-12-09 to 02-01-10
    51 miles with long run of 15 at pace.

03-01-10 to 09-01-10
    53 miles with pace run of 15 miles and slightly slower than pace run of 13.1 in the snow.

10-01-10 to 16-01-10
    57 miles with a lsr at 20 secs a mile lower than pace of 21 miles.

This week was 14 miles at pace on sunday and 10 miles 30 secs lower than pace. Tusday and wednesday was 5 miles at pace each day. Then 3 rest days and a massage on friday.

Hope that answers your question:)

Congrats Oisin, that's a great PB! Don't set the standards too high for your next race. :cool:

Congrats Oisin, that's a great PB! Don't set the standards too high for your next race. :cool:
    I wont bud. I just achived what i wanted to for the whole year. I will try and beat it in Edinburgh but wont be dissapointed if i dont. You reckon i can go sub 3h15 or even sub 3h11 within a year?

• Advertisement

Yeah no probs bud. I had luton marathon on 6th of december so it was an easy week after that.

06-12-09 to 12-12-09
    40 miles with long run of 12 at pace.

13-12-09 to 19-12-09
    This week was 53 miles and long run of only 15 at pace

20-12-09 to 26-12-09
    Week around the christmas was 40 miles with long run of 12.5 at pace.

27-12-09 to 02-01-10
    51 miles with long run of 15 at pace.

03-01-10 to 09-01-10
    53 miles with pace run of 15 miles and slightly slower than pace run of 13.1 in the snow.

10-01-10 to 16-01-10
    57 miles with a lsr at 20 secs a mile lower than pace of 21 miles.

This week was 14 miles at pace on sunday and 10 miles 30 secs lower than pace. Tusday and wednesday was 5 miles at pace each day. Then 3 rest days and a massage on friday.

Hope that answers your question:)

Wow you didn't taper really and you haven't really taken it easy since. Thanks very much for the info. Its helpful seeing what time people got based on their mileage and that.

I wont bud. I just achived what i wanted to for the whole year. I will try and beat it in Edinburgh but wont be dissapointed if i dont. You reckon i can go sub 3h15 or even sub 3h11 within a year?
    I'm certainly no expert, but I took 22 minutes off my marathon PB over the course of 10 months, with a good training program, and a reasonable amount of hard work (up to 55 miles/week). Anyway, enjoy the moment. Training's for another day, today should be for savoring a great PB.

I'm certainly no expert, but I took 22 minutes off my marathon PB over the course of 10 months, with a good training program, and a reasonable amount of hard work (up to 55 miles/week). Anyway, enjoy the moment. Training's for another day, today should be for savoring a great PB.
    Yeah ill enjoy a few weeks and then ill start training hard for Edinburgh. If the traiining goes well at the new marathon pace ill give 3h15 a crack. God loves a trier:D

10 miles tonight to get rid of the stiffness in my legs. Worked a treat, i had a tight left hamstring and some pain in my quads but a couple of miles in it all went away. Did the run slow in an average of 8.23 a mile.
    Hoping to do 32.30 in raheny on sunday but only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just catching up with your log now Oisin. Interesting plan for the year. Some would call it insane, but you've started it strongly. Well done on the PB.

Just catching up with your log now Oisin. Interesting plan for the year. Some would call it insane, but you've started it strongly. Well done on the PB.
    Yeah maybe but some if not most will be training runs so its just like extending long runs just more enjoyable. Thanks btw:)

Went out for 10 at a steady pace. Didnt wanna push to hard so kept it comfortable.
    Felt very comfortable doing these. I think my natural pace where i feel comfortable has come down by about 20-30 secs recently. Really think i have a chance at 3.11-3.15 in Edinburgh. Only time will tell i suppose. 2 mile warm down after those 10.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23385366

Dug out my garmin stats from sundays marathoon for those into stats.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23385385

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

marathon splits are very consistent, towards end as well, no real drift in HR either.
    your last few mile splits are some of your fastest, well done!!

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    marathon splits are very consistent, towards end as well, no real drift in HR either.
    your last few mile splits are some of your fastest, well done!!
    Yeah thanks i was delighted. Lots of little sharpe inclines as well.

Set out to do what was probably my first ever interval session.
    Decided to do 2 warm up miles at an ok pace of just over 8 min miles and then do 10x.25 mile reps at 6.30 pace with .25 mile recovery inbetween reps. Wasnt sure how it would go but heres the stats.
    Mile 1 8.06
    Mile 2 7.59

The intervals needed to be 1.37/1.38 to be on 6.30 pace.

The recovery was done at an average of about 8.10 a mile.
    Three slow laps to let my legs recover then.

All in all 10 miles at an average pace of 7.54 which taking into account the last 3 warm down miles was ok.

Confucious wrote:
    Interval session 5 days after race-pace marathon leave runner with legs in tatters.
    So says confucious.

haha na it was ok. 2 days off now and raheny 5 on sunday. I was looking for a post from someone called confusious. Thinking he must of deleted it. Nice 1:)

Raheny 5 today. Felt tired and would have been happy with mid 33. I dont do many 5 mile races so my 5 mile pb was 34.45.
    33.30 today so happy enough. Mcmillian says i need to be at 33.10 to be inline with 3.15 marathon so im in good nick and i have bags of stamina over the longer distances.

legs were really tight earlier so went out for a slow run to try and loosen them up. Worked a treat, brand new now.
    5 miles in 44 mins

• Advertisement

13.1 miles in 1h43m
    Felt fine and was very comfortable. Never really pushed it.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23745493

10k in 45.47
    Trying to get used to that pace for a push at 3.15 in Edinburgh. Weather was brutal. Strong head wind for 3 miles and raining but it was ok. Was tired but did ok. 1.3 miles warm down to make it 7.5 miles.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23794224

Rest day yesterday.
    Today i went out to be greated by the most horrific weather, head winds, cold,rain,darkness ect.....
    I decided just to do the planned 10 miles handy and not push it as the weather esp the head winds would add difficulty to the run.
    Happy with the run in general. Started around 8.20 and the next couple of miles were around 8.10-8.20. The pace continued to drop as i got warmer and the last 3 miles were around 7.45-7.50 with no extra effort.

Flu, am sick as the preverbial dog. No running for me the last 2 days and none for the next few. Have nothing planned race wise so it came at a good time i suppose. If there is a good time to catch the flu that is:(

first run for 4 days todat as i had a nasty little bug. Easy run (10 miles) just to see how i felt. I reckon i am 1 min a mile behind where i was 2 weeks ago. Kinda tough. Easy pace runs for the rest of the week just to get back into the swing of things.

• Advertisement

A 10 mile run with a mate tonight at his marathon pace. Was meant to be 8.30 a mile but i was feeling good for the first time in about a week and kept accidentally upping the pace. Finished with 10 miles at 8.15 pace and i felt great. Few faster miles tomorrow then 20 on thursday with the same mate.

Second of my pmp runs for edinburgh. New pmp is 7.27 so aimed to do 7.24ish. First run last week was 10k and i found it really hard because i didnt know it yet but i was coming down with the flu. Tonight was grand, 7.5 miles at 7.22 min miles and felt grand after the first mile. Ill increase this by 1 mile every week until a few weeks before Edinburgh. 2.5 miles warm down after this making a total of 10 miles.

20 miles with a mate at his lsr pace of 9 min miles. About 2.55 in the end. Very easy and no difficulties. Would have loved to have speeded it up:)

Rest days friday and saturday and a few pints also saturday night.
    Went out tonight thinking i would struggle but i was in great form. Took it handy, 8 miles at 7.50-7.55 pace and last 2 at 7.18(10 secs lower than mp).
    Felt fine when i finshed. Thats 60 miles for the week with a 20 mile lsr and 8ish miles at mp(10 next week). Ive gotta keep the miles up and do more quality sessions if im going to get under 3.15.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24706362

10.25 miles tonight just under pace. First 10 in 1h13m45s. 1m25s shy of 10 miles pb, going to obliterate that soon:D
    Faster pace also that my current half pb, thats due for a hammering to.
    Good session, ended up being 7.22 min pace.

12 miles tonight at 7.45. Was fairly easy with a few hills in it. Tired from work but was feeling okish at the end. Played ball last night with the mates for an hour and nothing tuesday because of work.

10 miles tonight. Set out to do the first 5 on pace and it was fairly easy. Went for 7.27 and achived 7.26 so im fairly happy.
    Second 5 i just wanted to run at what was comfortable. I turned my watch around and ran at a comfortable pace. I was surprised to see at the end that the second 5 were only a minute or so slower than the first 5 and they were ran at 7.37 per mile.

Average pace 7.35 and i felt very comfortable. Total time 1h15m22s.
    Thats the easiest by a long way i ever felt doing that sort of pace for 10 miles.
    3h15m in Edinburgh is coming into view now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good running oisin

3:15 definitely looking on.....

After a 12miler and a game of ball the day before. To run lasts nights 10m at PMP comfortably is great going.

Yeah thanks lads. Thing about last nights run was when i was looking at the pace on my garmin trying to make sure i was nearly spot on pace, i could feel the effort i was putting in. Even though i was far from struggling i could feel it. The second 5 when i didnt look at pace, the pace dropped off slightly for 2 miles and naturally dropped back down to the 3h15m pace. When i finished i wasnt breathing even remotely heavy legged and had no aches pains or bad feelings anywhere.
    For the first time i believe 3h15m is on:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement