Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid deposit by card, place gone bust, can we chargeback?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, we ordered a piece of furniture from a place in October who said delivery would be before Xmas, and we gave a deposit. Xmas has come and gone, no delivery, so we rang them, got excuses, kept ringing and they admitted this week that they were going into liquidation, however because ours was the oldest order, we'd still get it. We've been continually promised that we'd get calls back "this afternoon or first thing tomorrow" and of course not.

My suspicion is that the supplier is refusing to ship any more orders to them, including ours, so their promises are worth nothing to us.

My Dad has done liquidations in the past, so I'm aware that we are last in the line to receive any cash from these people. We're not too concerned about the furniture, it'd just be nice to get our deposit back.

However we paid by credit card - can we apply to the card company to refund the money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should be able to apply for a charge back, yes. It's my understanding that when a company goes into liquidation, then people who paid any money over with a credit card usually get all their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I could be wrong but is there a limit of 6 months on chargebacks?

I know it is only 3 months since you ordered but if there is a timelimit make sure you don't lose out.

I recently made a chargeback, I rang AIB CC dept, they took all the details and a few weeks later the money appeared by on my CC.

Best of luck with this and I hope you can source the furniture elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there is a limit, maybe even 90 days, charge back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    there is a limit, maybe even 90 days, charge back now.
    yes do your chargeback now as even if the bank takes months to investigate or has to wait for the liquidator to state delivery will not take place you will still be covered if you act within the time limit.

Advertisement