Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active holiday ideas

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to plan a holiday for my wife and I this summer. We are both pretty fit and enjoy active holidays, hiking and hillwalking etc. Last year we did a section of the Camino de Santiago and then spent a week sitting on a beach doing nothing, we're planning on something similar this year.
    Budget is limited so we'd probably have to restrict ourselves to Europe. Would appreciate any suggestions?
    Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Slovenia would be one option, have a look here, you could head to the beach in Croatia when you're done if you fancied it. :)
    Flights from Stanstead are quite reasonable with easy jet.

Another choice would be the Ecrins national park in France, reasonable flights in to Grenoble and Lyon available. I'd recommend a few days realxing in Nice before you come home too.

Plenty walking, climbing, kayaking, rafting. via ferrata, cycling etc in both places!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

There's a place near Brasov, Romania called Zarnesti that has a national park called Piatra Craiului. It's very nice and there's lots of hiking and climbing if that's your thing. It's also close to the Bucegi mountains. There are bears, wolves, lynx and wild boar in the area too (though some of these animals are difficult to find even with a guide and a lot of searching). And the city of Brasov is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Despite its reputation as a cheap package holiday destination, go outside the main resorts and Turkey is a great country. I spent two weeks there sea kayaking around Kas and Dalaman, then hit some beaches and did some hill walking around ancient Lycian sites, good wather guaranteed too!

Advertisement