Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafts

• 14-01-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a new house and have noticed some rooms in the house are very breezy and exceptionally cold, even after the heating has been on for a long time.

In the utility room, bathroom and just inside the hallway in front of the house its so cold, that even an hour after the heating has been turned off, its still so cold that you can see your breath, and in some of the bedrooms, you can see the curtains swaying slightly, a small cobweb blowing away with the draft. You can feel the draft moving around at night, and it makes it difficult to sleep.

I've tried blocking the vents and putting sealer around the window sills. I've noticed that the rubber (draft excluder?) is gone from around some of the windows. I've tried putting on some new stuff, but it hasn't really helped. I've also noticed that the timber in the windows at certain points seems to be warped (Is this from the cold?). At the points its warped I've tried putting on extra bits of rubber.

Its very hard to pinpoint exactly where the drafts are coming from. It definitely seems to be the windows, but when you put your hand around it, there aren't many obvious places, but stand either side of it and its very noticeable. Thats why I was glad to leave the cobweb there blowing away, so I knew I wasn't just going mental :pac:

Any ideas on how to pinpoint where its coming from? Or how to stop it? I'll try anything to get a bit of warmth to stay in the house and not have drafts hitting me in every point of my own room :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Try a candle to locate drafts,but be careful with curtains,blinds etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I thought of that, but I was frightened I'd turn the place down with the timber, curtains, etc :)

Advertisement