Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Hard Drive, Ram & Windows 7?

• 14-01-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in Dublin and have a Vaio Laptop with Vista Business 2gig Dual Core Centrino.

I hate Vista and would like to get Windows 7.

My Hard Drive is only 80gb and I have only 1gb of Ram.

I'd like to get all three together - how much would that cost and where would be best?

Cheers..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in Dublin and have a Vaio Laptop with Vista Business 2gig Dual Core Centrino.

I hate Vista and would like to get Windows 7.

My Hard Drive is only 80gb and I have only 1gb of Ram.

I'd like to get all three together - how much would that cost and where would be best?

Cheers..

Windows 7 will actually run OK on 1GB of RAM.

If you are using the laptop for normal everyday use, i.e. nothing RAM heavy like professional video or image editing, then you might consider saving yourself a few euros by sticking with 1GB.

Komplett.ie is usually the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Windows 7 will actually run OK on 1GB of RAM.

If you are using the laptop for normal everyday use, i.e. nothing RAM heavy like professional video or image editing, then you might consider saving yourself a few euros by sticking with 1GB.

Komplett.ie is usually the best bet.

I do quite a bit of Image editing and video editing:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794464

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055785292

:p

When i'm editing pics I will usually need to reboot 3 to 4 times over the space of two hours or so.

Computer just gets so clogged down to point that text will show up a minute after typing it or it just frezzes totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I ran Windows 7 on a Samsung NC140 netbook with 1gb ram, 150gb hdd and an atom processor. It was actually better than XP on the same system.

I'm currently running win7 on a dell inspirion 6400 with 2gb ram, 250gb HDD and centrino duo processor. I haven't noticed any problems with performance.

So my opinion - go with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Zapho wrote: »
    I ran Windows 7 on a Samsung NC140 netbook with 1gb ram, 150gb hdd and an atom processor. It was actually better than XP on the same system.

I'm currently running win7 on a dell inspirion 6400 with 2gb ram, 250gb HDD and centrino duo processor. I haven't noticed any problems with performance.

So my opinion - go with it!

You installed the 7 yourself?

Are HDD and Ram cheap enough these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You installed the 7 yourself?

Are HDD and Ram cheap enough these days?

I most certainly did! You can find instructions on how to install it from a usb key online.

And you can get a western digital 500gb laptop hdd for under €80 at the moment. I'm not sure about ram but I think 2GB of SODIMM ram should be around €50. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

you can install win7 on laptop 5y old and there will still be no problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I am running Windows 7 on a 5-6 year old Dell Inspiron 9300, 1.7Ghz centrino processor, 2 gb Ram, 60Gb Hard drive and no problems at all, the same machine would not run Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

vista is beta version of win7.. i found a topic on pc forums that win7 is actually vista, with, lets say, sp3...
    on that picture, its saying, win7 sp2???

Advertisement