Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extension guesstimates...

• 14-01-2010 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to get things moving on an extension in the next few months, still deciding on whether to go single-storey or 2-storey.

Its a 3-bed semi, ~9 meters back to front and we want to extend out 4m to the side.

Thats 36m2 / 385 square feet.

The plumbing will be just a couple of rads, electrical is just a few lights & sockets.

Plans, fittings, fixtures, internal doors, painting and decorating, electrical and plumbing will be DIY / nixers for my mates.

Sooo....
    Guesstimates....

Cost of building for foundations, walls (dry-dashed back and side red-brick cladding at front), windows (1 bay window @ front, 1 small utility room window @ rear), patio doors and a tiled hipped roof?

How much extra if I go to a second storey?

An extra bay window at the front, an extra window at the back, more bricks and another rectangular hole cut in the side wall of the existing house. (2 more rads, 2 more light fittings, 4 more sockets - more beer for the lads).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Its a tough one to estimate, especially with all the foxers. Probably best to get a spec made up and see what builders come back with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Gurgle wrote: »
    Its a 3-bed semi, ~9 meters back to front and we want to extend out 4m to the side.

You will need planning permission for this side extension.
    It will be much easier price once you have a full set of drawings and have finalised the design - single or two storey.

It will be possible for you to work out lengths of foundation trenches - giving you cubic concrete volumn. Floor area will allow you to work out tonnage of stone hardcore, tonnage of sand, sqm of radon barrier and floor insulation, cubic conc. volumn of floor slab.

Trench lenght with give wall lenght x height (each block course).
    It will be easier to compare prices once you know linear length, sqm area or cubic volumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

2-storey vs 1-storey
    The difference will be approx 800 blocks + 2 bedroom windows, plus the extra labour of building those blocks....
    I've seen estimates for brickies at 50c per block to lay them, would that be way out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Gurgle wrote: »
    2-storey vs 1-storey
    The difference will be approx 800 blocks + 2 bedroom windows, plus the extra labour of building those blocks....
    I've seen estimates for brickies at 50c per block to lay them, would that be way out ?

What about plaster, insulation, roof insulation ? Theres always the little things (well maybe not those examples :rolleyes:) in a building job and they`ll be the killers when it comes to a budget.

More details...
    After annoying everyone all day, I've got this bom:

Extension 36m2 (9x4) ground floor area.

Height: 5m + (1m risers)
    Width: 4m
    Depth: 9m

Front: 4m = 9 blocks across
    6m = 27 blocks high
    = 243 blocks

Back: Same as front
    = 243 blocks

Side: 9m = 21 blocks across
    6m = 27 blocks high
    = 567 blocks

2100 blocks
    + 20% (wastage + internal walls @ ground floor) = ~2600 blocks

+ Cement
    + Sand
    Sills + Lintels

Concrete for foundations: 1m x 0.3m x 17m = 5.1m3 concrete
    Filling

Wire mesh
    Radon barrier
    Sump
    Insulation: Floor + Walls
    Fixtures & fittings
    DPM
    Concrete(floors)

2nd floor:
    Joists, Ties & stuff, T&G

Attic:
    Joists, Ties & stuff, T&G

Hipped roof:
    Rafters, Ties & struts, Hangers, Felt, 2x1s, Tiles
    Fascia & Soffet

Red bricks (Front up to ~2m)
    Dry dash (rest)
    Patic Doors

Windows
    2 x bay windows (front upper & lower)
    1 x large window (bedroom, rear)
    1 x small window (utility room, rear)

Radiators 2m x4
    Electrical fittings: lights x 5, double sockets x 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi Gurgle.
    Filling
    I assume from the above you are putting in strip footings.
    The ground needs to be very good for this otherwise go for the raft foundation, a bit more expensive but well worth it in the end.
    Have heard of a few extensions pulling away from the main building with this method.
    Do you have an engineer to consult on this?

CC

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi Gurgle.
    Filling
    I assume from the above you are putting in strip footings.
    The ground needs to be very good for this otherwise go for the raft foundation, a bit more expensive but well worth it in the end.
    Have heard of a few extensions pulling away from the main building with this method.
    Do you have an engineer to consult on this?

CC
    :o I don't recognize either of those terms.
    I'm a while off getting an engineer in... still 'discussing' single-storey or 2-storey with the Mrs.

We got draft plans done up a couple of years ago for a 2-storey, so just running off them for the moment to get some idea of costs.

Advertisement