Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help picking a new family car, budget €20kish

• 14-01-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new car for family Scruff. I suppose the main requirement is that it must have a big boot for the pram "travel system" and all the added paraphernalia that comes with transporting an infant. I'm mainly interested in hatchbacks as the boot is easier to access than saloons. Also thinking of getting a 08+ car so nothing higher than band C but am open to persuasion as to why to go for an older car if someone has a particular recommendation. Reliability essential too.

So far I've looked at the following. Prices

Skoda Superb:
    + huge amounts of room
    + dual opening boot making it a hatch back at the touch of a button
    + with scrappage could have a new greenline 1.9TDI model for < €20k. even this model has a decent interior
    + road tax €156
    - concerned 105bhp is not powerful enough
    - not the new common rail diesel in the <170 bhp engines
    - if opting for a 170bhp it puts the price > €26k
    I did take a test drive of the 105bhp model and i though it was pokey enough. That could be just because i'm used to driving a 1.4l 99 car though...

Toyota Avensis:
    + load of room
    + large boot
    + 2.0l 126bhp D4D is in the B tax band
    + 3 year warranty
    - Not a hatchback
    Aura spec would be ~€23k
    Test drive was grand. Didnt get a great feel for it as drive was pretty short. Interior nothing to write home about

Mazda 6
    + good amount of room
    + large boot and avaliable in hatchback
    + like the sporty look of it.
    - 2.2l diesel engine is only avaliable in the sports version here. Big minus this. Would probably have to go uk to get a 125 or 160bhp TS\TS2 hatchback
    - interior bit plasitcy looking
    Around €24 for entry model
    Didnt get to test drive.

Opel insigina:
    + good amount of space
    + avaliable in hatchback
    + starts at 130bhp diesel
    - pricey new. > €27k
    Didnt get to test drive yet

Ford Mondeo: (havent viewed yet)
    + loads of space
    + avaliable in hatchback
    +? called the class leader by a number of reviews but unsure of how uk specs compare to here
    -? Terrible depreciation. Would be better getting from the uk for around £12k for a 09

Citroen C5:
    Dont know anything about this

Honda Accord:
    Too pricey and wheel arches intrude too much into boot (?)

Comments

Advertisement