Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish anime podcast

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

New irish anime podcast about anime news and reviews psu updates and yugioh updates its pretty sweet check it out at geek-media.blogspot.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Sample of content
    News o god pow is being controlled by nazis

News flash Disney has gained rights to Stan lee's company pow entertainment . Pow entertainment is at the moment doing a collaboration work with Bones animation studio on the heroman anime series. could be the potentional for success or the complete failure of the series before its released . off course anything that nazi organisation group disney touches turns to gold but distroys any original story to squeeze every cent out of it . Remember lilo and stitch - great idea then the sequels . Remember Naruto now he goes cutie no jutsu . why do they have to Americanize evrything like 4kids do

Speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I know what it is.

It may either live under a bridge, or be of the sort that sits on hobbits while spending all night arguing over how they were going to cook them.... before turning to stone in the morning.

But it can only be one thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Dartz wrote: »
    I know what it is.

It may either live under a bridge, or be of the sort that sits on hobbits while spending all night arguing over how they were going to cook them.... before turning to stone in the morning.

But it can only be one thing....

I think you're giving too much credit by even suggesting that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean_Alpha

ok i was doing a shameless plug but did u guys have to bring up the agrument with me and eirtakon 2 the news bulletin was announced on anime news network so its not like i made it up and i wished you could used my reviews on hair or comedy anime films or attack swim team vs the undead the podcast is good its better than the beginning of happy house of hentai should u guys be happy that ireland has a anime podcast since eepers choice hasnt been posting since August. As anime fans could we not try to hold grudges for so long man I thought you guys really would give my site and podcast a shot .There is so many other podcasts like anime world order they used the word narutards anime pulse used it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Well, personally I find it a bit difficult to even read your posts and blog due to the severe lack of punctuation and basic grammar...

Alrite i will agree that i do need to improve on the grammer on the blog posts.But You guys should give the podcast a try there will be a second podcast up and running in a week or so. So I'd agree and accept the fact I need to improve on grammer My reviews actually have better structure and grammer done on them and the podcast maybe its in the rough stages now but name a podcast who's wasnt. So check out the podcast or the reviews its not that bad

Sean_Alpha wrote: »
    and the podcast maybe its in the rough stages now but name a podcast who's wasnt.

So just because this is your first one you think that you get a free pass to make something bad? If you knew that it's a pit trap that a lot of debut podcasts are of bad quality, why didn't you try to avoid it?

I listened to your podcast, the entire thing, and it was pretty bad. First off I have to point out that in the window that it opens in, it says "Episode 1" and the first words out of your mouth are "Hi, Episode 2 of.." Quickly scrolling through all your posts on your site, it would seem that you never even posted the actual first episode. Production-wise, was this recorded in a canteen? Right from the very beginning and throughout the entire thing you can hear voices in the background. Somebody says "Happy birthday!" at one point, and I think I can hear a coffee machine at another point. The audio also fluctuates at points, you become muffled, and I could barely hear Kazuma throughout the entire thing.

The main description of the Podcast is that you and Kazuma will be reviewing Outlaw Star and Paranoia Agent. You don't begin these reviews until 15 minutes into your 26 minute feature. For the first 5 minutes you chat away to each other talking about Phantasy Star Universe and Fallout 3 and other little tidbits of time wasting goodness.

You introduce a rants segment in which you have a go at Bleach fillers, and then go on a rant giving your incredibly flawed and uninformed opinion about the price of Anime DVDs here compared to America. Prices are so high because nobody buys the DVDs and nobody buys the DVDs because the prices are so high. They have to keep the prices that high just so they can even produce the product and make a profit from it so that they can continue to bring out more products. You should take a look at this article for a better understanding, it has interviews with people from Beez (who distributed Haruhi in the UK) and Manga (who brought us Akira which you mention.)

http://www.animeuknews.net/article/51/the-uk-dvd-market-sorry-how-much There's a part in the article where the guy from Manga runs through the costs of production, which was very helpful.

After the rants segment, You have your Otaku Resolutions for the New Year segment, which is again just 2 friends chatting rather than informed presenters of a podcast bringing the listener interesting information which they've read up on and prepared prior to recording.

Kazuma was up first with his frankly dire review of Outlaw Star. After spending half a minute fumbling around with the device you're using record, he begins with "I'm gonna to be doing a review of Outlaw Star..." His entire review consists of reading the plot out from a website hesitantly, reading it as if he were asked to read out a poorly constructed presentation out loud in class, he doesn't even get anywhere before you take over and read it out for him. Past reading out the plot, this is what happens.

Sean: So what's your opinion on this 26 episode series?

Kazuma: I think it's pretty good, it has it's moments as well like......

Sean: hmm.

Kazuma: mmm.

Sean: Do you think the show has dated since? The art style, or story wise?

Kazuma: It still looks pretty decent umm, artwork, like, it doesn't look like it's really old but it was really done like. If you haven't seen it before you'd probably think it was done like the ????? (original or...)

Sean: hmm, mmm... So what would you rate this?

Kazuma: Ehh, I'll rate it emmm... An 8 out of 10.

Seriously? That's the review? Thanks for telling us that you think it's good, but tell us WHY it's good. Kazuma really sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about.

Your review of Paranoia Agent was better, you run through the series off the top of your head and don't pause and question yourself out loud like earlier in the podcast when you were describing Kampfer. My major gripe with your review: YOU GAVE AWAY THE GODDAMN MYSTERY. You cannot just say "Spoiler alert!" and give away the entire point of the series during a podcast. (The point of any mystery series being that you have to figure out the mystery for yourself, of course.) This isn't like reading a forum post and somebody putting up SPOILER ALERT!!! and then you avert your eyes and scroll. What am I supposed to do during the podcast? Cover my ears and go "LALALA I AM NOT LISTENING" until I think you're done spoiling it? And don't try to say "Well just pause it and skip to further on." The podcast opens in a different window and skipping through is hard, as I learned when transribing that excerpt above, and like a lot of other people will do, I was also doing other stuff while listening to it. So first of all I'm quickly caught off guard and then have to scramble to find the window in which the podcast is to pause it. By the time I pause it, you've already spoiled it.

You don't even end your own review with a rating, you just say that even though you ruined the point of it, it's still worth watching for it's other qualities. You fail to even follow a formula for your reviews segment, showing that there is no prepared structure when it comes to the content.

Next you tell us what shows you'll be reviewing next week, picking them off the top of your heads and give a shout out to some people. And you end the podcast with "Alright, Bye!" What the hell? This is a podcast, not a phone call.

I'll rate it 2/10. A "Shít on his face" as you put it, when explaining your rating system. Very poor production and incredibly barebone structure. It's likely that you just had an A4 pad in front of you that just had the titles of your segments and then a sentence or 2 giving rough guidelines as to what to say during them. Practically no preparation involved when it comes to the content of the segments, Kazuma was caught off guard for the entire podcast and while since you're obviously the one taking care of everything, you've thought more about the things that you wanted to speak about prior.

Hey well most podcasts have bad episode number 1 we are currently raising money for better audio equipment such as mics but its better to have a bad first epsiode than never have a podcast at all. Our second is better structured with a more condensed psu segement but as i said before it contains phantasy star universe info and all future episodes will contain yugioh info so think of us a mixture between otaku momentum and dave and joel fast karate for the gentleman. Ya we suck at it now but we'll get better. We are also trying to get nominated to join the A.D.D network after our our episodes get better. Again apoligies for my co-host he's trying to better structure his segements in the future. O and for the ending of paranoia agent. If you ever seen Kon's work proir to the review its not about the story its about the imagery and its a old show so most people have seen it already o please leave some comments on the page or email me at seanalpha@gmail.com if you have any other comments about the podcast I want to bring them up on episode 3.

To reply about the pricing rant . I'm pretty sure you or those guys don't know much about slaes or marketing .But let me fill you in. If a product or service doesn't sell at a high price especially with a niche or new product . You must revaluate your price plan for it. If I was Beez or Manga I'd try to come up with a plan to spend more on the marketing in the Irish and Uk market besides adverts in Neo and Sfx maybe make appearances at more cons or do more specials or a podcast about future releases and reviews. look. I'm not completely a sub anime fan . But when companys plan to charge high prices for any product be they anime movie or substance . Most people will go to the cheaper product even if its ilegal. i'm also not saying you have to sell these dvds for 5 euro or something . Try spreading out the price with liciences by offering streaming services like funimation do and get money through ad revenue. and plenty of people would be happy for that.
    To conclude if they don't lower prices they'll go the way of the dodo or CPM and we'll have to resort to downloading and importing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

To conclude if they don't lower prices they'll go the way of the dodo or CPM and we'll have to resort to downloading and importing

You might want to learn abit about sales and marketing yourself before you go on a rant about it. Selling books and dvds in Ireland is pricey due to our high VAT rates and import costs. It has nothing to do with number of sales...they can't not charge VAT nor pay the import costs so there is only so low prices can be lowered to. There are also limited options on were you can sell your product and when it comes to printed books Easons wholesale has a monoploy over the Irish industry or worse yet if the book is distrubted via Diamond your fecked as Diamonds prices are very high and they [a] refuse to let Irish shops buy at the dollar rate only a high fixed sterling rate and they have very high minimum orders that most shops can't meet which is why in the whole country there are only two shops that order from Diamond.

Any anime or manga company selling in the UK does hit all the big cons...I know cus I'm at all of them. Some even hit Irish cons but the Irish con scene is not organised in the same way nor large enough currently for most of them to spend the money. A number of the companies that licence animes from Japan are currently in alot of trouble money wise and have had to scale back majorly on their marketing and staff. If you actually attended some uk cons and spoke to people about that state of distrabution you would be aware of this. Might be worth learning about what your ranting about before starting the rant.

Hey well most podcasts have bad episode number 1 we are currently raising money for better audio equipment such as mics but its better to have a bad first epsiode than never have a podcast at all. Our second is better structured with a more condensed psu segement but as i said before it contains phantasy star universe info and all future episodes will contain yugioh info so think of us a mixture between otaku momentum and dave and joel fast karate for the gentleman. Ya we suck at it now but we'll get better. We are also trying to get nominated to join the A.D.D network after our our episodes get better. Again apoligies for my co-host he's trying to better structure his segements in the future. O and for the ending of paranoia agent. If you ever seen Kon's work proir to the review its not about the story its about the imagery and its a old show so most people have seen it already o please leave some comments on the page or email me at seanalpha@gmail.com if you have any other comments about the podcast I want to bring them up on episode 3.

Debatable. Unless the rest of the episodes are a vast improvement on the first then it would be much better to have no podcast at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

The prices of DVD's are falling rapidly recently. Companies are becoming less likely now to release 6 €30 DVD volumes of 4 episodes each. Most of the new stuff coming out is in box sets of about 9 - 12 episodes at €30 each (Laggann, Claymore, Code Geass, Darker than Black, Gundam 00, Witchblade, Naruto and Bleach)

ok here is my response is that 1 i know sales and marketing i've done both working sales and marketing . vat is the same with every dvd we are a already expensive. As buying anime just look at the other boards threads they all say to buy anime from sites like play.com and similar sites importing them and that was a snarky comment about the podcast in this thread i have not once insulted you . i'm just trying to promote and defend my podcast eepers choice didnt have this much of bad reviews when it came out. And with the importing issue we are importing dvds from the states for the cheaper prices wait didnt i say that would happen reverse importing we are getting the same problems as japan. thank you for the people that actually listened to the podcast who gave good critism and the others thank you for helping me for my next podcast to talk about bad mouthing me or my podcasting friend kazuma now we have something to rant about

eepers choice didnt have this much of bad reviews when it came out.

Because it was/is better?

It doesn't sound like it was recorded in a café perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Personally, I always thought Eeeper's Choice was quite poor. Maybe not in terms of content, but certainly massively so in terms of quality.

Unless it's improved recently of course.

We are currently raising money for better audio equipment such as mics.

You don't need to. The mic you used for the podcast is certainly good enough, you just have to put the mic in a fixed position where both you and whoever else is talking are at the same levels. Other tips are to record in a quiet room rather than in a public place, and to edit out the unnecessary parts of your recording, like that half minute before the Outlaw Star review of "Is it recording?" "Yeah", by using Audacity, which is a very simple and easy to use program for recording and editing. Totally free also.

Download: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (Go for 1.26, latest stable version)

Editing tutorial for Audacity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfSJzUX5hWs (she gets to the actual editing at around 2:00)

That's all that's needed to ensure good production, really. BUT, your content, please for the love of all that is logical, prepare it before you begin recording, and I mean properly. Don't just start on a topic and hope by the end of it you make a point. Prepare your topics, the points you want to make about them and how you intend to do it. If you're going to be reading content out from sites, have any sites that you're going to use preloaded in tabs and read over the content before you record instead of arriving at the page then glazing over it going "ehhhh" like when Kazuma was reading out PSU news from the site. I'm definitely not saying to go anywhere as far as to script the entire thing. As long as you have a structured presentation, have knowledge in what you're talking about and remember to keep to the structure and the points you're making, then it's all good.

And please work on your review structure also, look at some of the reviews written on MAL. Lets take Paranoia Agent for example. http://myanimelist.net/anime/323/Paranoia_Agent. Look at the first 2 reviews, roughly 80% and 70% positive ratings and both are long and detailed. The first one follows a common formula that has a very clear structure. The reviewer takes aspects of the show such as story, characters, artwork and audio and gives a paragraph describing why he thought this aspect of the show was either good or bad. Yes, reviews are totally opinion based, but the entire point of a review is to convince people to either watch or not to watch whatever you're reviewing.

Would you trust a review written by a person who illustrated their views with in depth analysis and well thought out reasoning, or a review where the person simply wrote "Story sucked, it didn't make any sense. I hated the music and animation was crap"? Which one is more convincing?
    1. Hey well most podcasts have bad episode number 1.

2. O and for the ending of paranoia agent. If you ever seen Kon's work proir to the review its not about the story its about the imagery

3. and its a old show so most people have seen it already

(I've marked what I'm replying to for clarity)

1. Once again, knowing that you're releasing something bad doesn't mean that people are going to let you off easy on it. There's a standard set that you should try to meet to the best of your ability, and this podcast does not sound at all like it's the best you could do. Great things usually get the recognition they deserve. If your debut podcast was an awesome piece of work that had potential to rival the best, you'd definitely gain a lot of popularity from it.

2. I've seen Paranoia Agent, Paprika and Perfect Blue. The meaning of any show is dictated by the story and how it's told, and you'll find that in Kon's work he tends to hide the true meaning of the story in imagery and actions. My point was that you just flat out gave away the meaning of the show, which is the thing that viewer is ultimately searching for when watching Paranoia Agent. It's the entire point of watching it. Kon's work can be so confusing that when you finally figure it out, you get a sense of achievement from it, and you're denying people of that when you reveal the meaning.

3. Which people? The people who watch anime? What a ridiculous generalization. I'm going to prove it like this. On MAL (Myanimelist) Death Note is the most popular show with just 100 short of 100,000 people who have seen it or are watching it. Paranoia Agent has just 30 short of 20,000 people who have seen or are watching it. So what I gather from MAL is that in a survey of 100,000 people who watch anime, only 20% of those people have seen Paranoia Agent. Exactly the opposite of what you claimed. You're wrong, plain and simple. You didn't even check to see if what you said was true, did you?

I listened to around half of the first ep. of Eepers choice just to get a feel for it, and while sure, it's not exactly great, it shows that he put a lot more effort into his show than you did with yours. He tried his best to keep it interesting and entertaining for his listeners, he put some humour in like the monkey bit near the start (whereas the only real humour I remember from yours was Kazuma's absolutely lame joke about Jim Hawking/Stephen Hawking which I think even you acknowledged was crap, since you just didn't say anything and just moved on) and had some pretty decent insight into what he was saying, especially with that bit about buying DVDs of that series that was likely to go out of print soon. He put in the effort and you can tell that he wanted to make a show that was the best he could do.

Its coming to my attention that I am getting alot of hate about the podcast this seems intresting to me and alot of you guys besides 1 or 2 of you that gave me good critism about audio quality which will be improved greatly in episode 2 along with a better structure to the program. The guys that arent giving good critism and just giving out to me for the sake that you probaly have a nothing better to do or angry that your moonphase figurine broke or found out the latest episode of naruto is a filler. This is to you your sounding like Anime TV hosts will you either shut up or come back with some good critism or say something good about it. This must be your only way to release stress . If you think you can do better then do it. We're impoving on quality and structure so relax O and the reason why I didnt laugh at kazuma joke was A he was screwing up the joke B Ive heard 18times already C its ross noble joke its better with the manners seen

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Numina's post read quite supportive adn informative to me.

In my eyes, he was trying to point out how you can easily improve your work significantly.

some of things were informative i wasnt talking him specifically there was 1 person who said better off not making a podcast

• Advertisement

Sean, do you know what a troll is?

some of things were informative i wasnt talking him specifically there was 1 person who said better off not making a podcast

*sigh* I specifically stated that you were better off not making a podcast only if the content, quality etc. didn't improve as it would be a waste of your time and effort to produce something that people dislike and hence won't even listen to. There's plenty of great tips posted here and I trust you'll take them all on board and make a worthwhile podcast. There's always room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ok here is my response is that 1 i know sales and marketing i've done both working sales and marketing . vat is the same with every dvd we are a already expensive. As buying anime just look at the other boards threads they all say to buy anime from sites like play.com and similar sites importing them and that was a snarky comment about the podcast in this thread i have not once insulted you . i'm just trying to promote and defend my podcast eepers choice didnt have this much of bad reviews when it came out. And with the importing issue we are importing dvds from the states for the cheaper prices wait didnt i say that would happen reverse importing we are getting the same problems as japan. thank you for the people that actually listened to the podcast who gave good critism and the others thank you for helping me for my next podcast to talk about bad mouthing me or my podcasting friend kazuma now we have something to rant about

the price of dvds has fallen from big suppliers - most anime is licencsed by small companies with limited funds who don't see a country with such a small population as a good market for them to push their product in. You can find plenty of cheap anime online sure but don't expect to find the same in shops which have much higher costs then online retailers and are simply not going to make a profit on what is a niche market. You can argue all you like about making it cheaper will get more people watching but when you've a population just over the 4 million mark there just simply aren't enough people there to make up the numbers.

When it comes to manga there are only three options [not counting online or second hand] for getting books. 1. Easons wholesale - Easons wholesale supply most of the shops in the country not just Easons shops, all those small shops down the country and any non chain store. As they have a monoploy in Ireland they can charge what ever they like as the bookstores don't have many other options and they mainly only carry Viz and Tokyopop licenced stuff and Tokyopop is in trouble, cutting over half their staff, withdrawing from US cons and cancelling all their in-development OEL manga and several smaller licenced books. 2. UK wholesale shops, places like waterstones don't order from Easons, they order from their own uk based wholesalers so your ordering in sterling which is not the current sterling rate but a set sterling rate they charge and only alter ever 3 or so months. 3. Comic shops who order from Diamond who as already mentioned have very high costs, minimum orders and high sterling rates they refuse to cut [several comments about this in the comic forum]

Do u mean A a subcharacter class in dungeons and dragons B a fictional charcter in lord of the rings C if not a or b i don't really care or d someone who guys on forums to start fights strangely enough that is the second time that phrase has been said to me today. no i am not a troll I just wanted ppl to know about the podcast .Some of the comments were very helpful then some bad comments came then i decided to continue it for a bit because well whats good pr than ppl talking about about it As for the rest I have been editing the second epsiode for audio quality. Future episodes will also have more music better quality so don't worry as for the other comment and i am also looking for a band to a opening track so If you guys dont like our voices then at least u like the band o this is my only user name so No I am not a troll but i am an asshole but it gives all something to do at times whether to agrue

I actually meant that Hotaru's comment was troll-like (not saying he's a troll, just that the post was something that a troll might think of posting to get under someones skin), and that you seem easily set off by even the slightest negative comment, making you the perfect target for trolls.

Numina wrote: »
    I actually meant that Hotaru's comment was troll-like (not saying he's a troll, just that the post was something that a troll might think of posting to get under someones skin), and that you seem easily set off by even the slightest negative comment, making you the perfect target for trolls.

Hmm, my bad. In hindsight, I suppose it was a rather troll-like comment though not technically intended to be interpreted that way.

Oh, and I'm of the female variety :rolleyes:

Sorry man my mistake thought that was directed towards me there but i just started advertising for a band for the podcast along with that Im also trying to find artist for my site and otaku momentum podcast who I am friends with . Theyre holding a competition for a logo for there site check their site for details

Advertisement