Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which dogs shed least?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Apologies if his has already been covered elsewhere but I'm wondering which dogs shed least and would be suitable for somebody with asmatha?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Poodles hardly shed at all.
    (they do however have fairly oily skin and hair to which some people also may be allergic)

The same applies to other "water dogs" like the Irish or Portuguese Water Spaniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Bichon Frise would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Don't know for sure but a friend at school had standard poodles(the big ones, but I'm sure all sizes of the breed would be the same) and she had asthma, they also washed and groomed them every few weeks.
    I have a Tibetan Terrier and Lhasa Apso which shed little hair, the Tibetan is supposed to be good for people with allergies too as they have hair rather than fur, so little dander. (but you need some dog experience to handle them,and a lot of patience)
    There are probably more breeds too, but I would think the best thing would be to try and meet some of the breeds and see if you have a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I have a Westie and my friend who is allergic to dogs and sneezes and coughs when near dogs says my wonderful westie :D is the only dog she can be around without allergy kicking in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Poodles , labradoodles, wheaton terriers , snaushers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Shar Pei

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fatcat

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Westies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

I second the westie option. I have 2 at home I have wodden floors so I would notice the shedding & I have to say they shed very little hair plus they are great fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tench

a friend of mine breds chocolate laberdors cross poodles
    theses are just for asthmaticks and any other allergies to dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Labrador crosses are not always suitable for people with asthma.
    Think about it, a Labrador is a heavy shedding breed. Just because you cross it with a poodle does not mean the offspring is not going to shed.

http://www.labradoodletrust.com/allergy_info.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tench

eyes opened a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rosie13

Maltese would be great choice. very expensive though but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Chinese Crested!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Just some information for everyone if needed:

People can be allergic to three different parts of a dog..the hair or skin (dander) or saliva. There are no such dogs as hypoallergenic dogs so to speak just ones that cause less reactions then others depending on the allergy the individual has. A low shedding coat usually is best and that would be any dog with a wire or curly coat. But then again most dogs will shed to a certain extent. If a dog is given a good quality diet and lives indoors etc it usually minimises this further.

The non-moulting terrier types tend to cause less of a problem to people with allergies and asthma. You may also find that a crossbreed containing one or more of these breeds may also be suitable.

Airdale Terrier
    Chinese Crested
    Bedlington Terrier
    Mexican Hairless
    Cairn Terrier
    Australian Silky Terrier
    Lakeland Terrier
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Irish Terrier
    Minature and Giant Schnauzer
    Kerry Blue Terrier
    Toy, Minature and Standard Poodle
    Afghan Hound
    Dandie Dinmont Terrier
    Doberman
    Sealyham Terrier
    Wire haired fox terrier
    Bichon Frise
    Welsh Terrier
    Havanese
    Curly Coated Retriever
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Soft coated wheaten Terrier
    Greyhound
    Lasa Apso
    Maltease
    Whippet
    Shih Tzu
    Basenji
    Scottish Terrier
    Samoyed
    Bolognese
    West highland Terrier

Ideally, try to spend time with your chosen breed before adopting a puppy, to see how you are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fatcat

Thanks, Suziwalsh, for all that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The Kerry Blue Terrier is mentioned in Suziwalsh's post. I had one 15 years ago and have one now, never have I seen them drop a hair. In between I had an Irish Terrier and he moulted all the time. So a Kerry Blue would be my suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have two Lhasa Apsos, and whilst they're not big shedders, I don't know if I'd go for them if I had allergies.
    My brother has asthma and if they're in his room too much he'll start coughing.
    My older sister has asthma and dog allergies (she doesn't live her) but when she came home for a week she was completely stuffed up and eyes watering etc.

But do obviously try being around the different breeds of dogs and see as has been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I have a wheaten terrier, as he has hair and not fur, he does not shed. Loose hair does come out the odd time (as with our own hair). But most come out with regular brushing.

Any dog with hair as appose to fur is what your looking for:

Here's a pic of my guy

Advertisement