Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Boots to OS then dies

• 14-01-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45

Hi all,

I have a PC here its an unbranded one but specs are: MOBO is K7S5a 512Mb ram AMD Duron processor 750 Mhz. Its an oldie and was working untill I took it from my parents last night.

Switched it on today, BIOS loads fine (AMIBIOS) finds hdd & 2 cd drives.
    When it starts to load windows I got a blue screen so I rebooted and it now wont load windows (XPsp3)
    Tried a "last known good configuration" but the screen goes blank & nothing.
    Tried a Safe Boot and it does start to load files but after loading the following files it hangs

\system32\
    ntoskrnl.exe
    hal.dll
    kdcom.dll
    bootvid.dll
    \system32\config\system
    c_1252.nls
    c_437.nls
    l_intl.nls
    \fonts\vgaoem.fon
    \apppatch\drvmain.sdb

I have tried a booting from a windowsXP disk that I have but it starts to load files and just stops
    I tried loading a Win7 disk I have but it to starts loading files when the white progress bar gets to the top it just stops.

Any ideas.

Now just to complicate things, I took the heatsinc of processor to clean it & the fan (fairly manky) while trying to unclip the hs from the proc the screwdriver slipped (twice) I cant see any damage but have I borked the mobo?

Regards
    Sheepish:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

TRY ,f8,same mode , directory services restore mode.
    OR try a linux livecd ,go to bios set boot order, cdrom/dvd =o ,1st boot device.IF you are trying to boot from the live cd.
    OR try boot from windows cdrom, use R repair ,repair my installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

OR buy a pc pentium 4/ athlon 1.5ghz cpu /dvdrom, 80gig hardrive for 130 on www.adverts.ie .
    AT this time NO ONE should be using a 750mhz pc ,its not worth the time, prbly got 256meg ram and a 2ogig hd.WITH all due respect its a museum piece.THE hardrive on that could stop working anytime ,and you ve lost all your photos/data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Not sure but if you can't boot into the CD's, if they crash randomly maybe you've got a Memory error? Try booting this: http://www.memtest86.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Open the case me suspects dust

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

My guess is the vibrations from moving it have damaged your hdd (which is probably due for retirement a long time ago)

Afaik win7 will require at least 1 gig of ram.

As bad memory is the next most likely culprit, I'd run memtest as Webmonkey has suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement