Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparrows nest, wish to remove - but!

• 14-01-2010 2:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, i thought this might be the best place to post.

The last few days im hearing noises above one of our bedrooms and when i tracked it down it looks like a sparrow is making a nest just under one particular tile on the roof [we live in a bingalow]

Last year we were damned with noise early in the morning from an abvious nest at another part of the house [ie my sons bedroom] same area just a different corner of the house.
    This caused my 5 year old to wake at 5:30- 6:00 am, trust me its a lot of noise,i tried to sleep in same room and it woke me also.

I fear of another scenario this year so i want to get rid of what looks to be a nest in progress as i type but i wish to do so with minimum fuss.
    Im going to block off the two tiny gaps they are getting into but would like to get the timing correct for the sake of the birdies.

This is where you experts come in :)

When do sparrows nest? am i correct in thinking this is a nest in progress?
    When do they give birth? Id rather get it over with asap but not if they are about to spring a few young ones.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's really too early and cold for sparrows to nest. Of course as Nature lovers we'll advocate putting up with it. I do with 12 Sparrow nests under the tiles of my bungalow.
    I suppose some chicken wire along the opening into the tiles might work - but I didn't suggest that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's very early. You ought to remove the nest and repair the site so it can't happen again. The bird will simply start again somewhere else, no harm done. Just take care of it now, before they are completed.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The bird will simply start again somewhere else, no harm done.

In fairness this is not true. House Sparrow numbers have declined rapidly in recent years and the lack of suitable nesting sites iss a major cause. Modern house building techniques don't favour House Sparrow nesting.
    Can I suggest the OP puts up a House Sparrow nesting box/terrace to compensate for the loss of the roof site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

In fariness this is not true. House Sparrow numbers have declined rapidly in recent years and the lack of suitable nesting sites iss a major cause.

I had no idea. They are fairly thick on the ground around here!

Modern house building techniques don't favour House Sparrow nesting.
    Can I suggest the OP puts up a House Sparrow nesting box/terrace to compensate for the loss of the roof site?

That's a good idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I had no idea. They are fairly thick on the ground around here!

Generally numbers are readfully low. Where once we had fregular flock in the area 100+ but around here we now have flocks (as in my garden) of 20 or so. I never had them in the garden until about 6 years ago and was delighted but unfortunately the dense populations elsewhere are almost gone. The population in Britain has been hit even harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I remember reading that House Sparrows suffered a massive decline at the start of the 20th century when horses were replaced by motor vehicles. The birds had been feeding on undigested seeds in the thick coating of horse dung that covered every street! And now, more recently, modern houses don't provide nest sites for them.

Advertisement