Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen pipe to electric shower

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I have a little problem
    I paid for a contractor to install an electric shower and the ancillary pipe work to same last week

shower unit didn`t work. pipe work had frozen in attic. pipe work thawed and shower is leaking.

the pipe work this contractor installed was not insulated and this was the only pipe to freeze in attic. all other pipes were ok as they are insulated.

took up this with contractor. he now has told me to get some else to fix shower as he not going to enter an argument about him not insulating the pipe work he installed.

have i a case to bring him to small claims court? the shower is still under gurrantee from him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Insulation is normally extra and optional. Unless insulation of the pipes was mentioned in the contracts (or initial discussions), then I doubt you'll have much luck making a claim.

You should now just go buy some pipe insulation yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

newsboy Can you please use paragraphs and/or full stops in future posts? It will help other posters better understand your problem.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

The insulation would afaik (and yes I'm guessing) be covered somewhere in the current building/plumbing regulations. So do some research to see if I'm correct and if so you'd have a good case.

Might be better off moved to the DIY section where I'm sure someone would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ttm wrote: »
    The insulation would afaik (and yes I'm guessing) be covered somewhere in the current building/plumbing regulations. So do some research to see if I'm correct and if so you'd have a good case.

I don't believe there are any planning or building regulations relating to insulation of pipes, only building (attic) insulation and tank insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Was the shower working correctly when it was installed or was it installed while the pipes were frozen and never tested until they thawed?

If it was working correctly at the time of installation and only leaked as a result of the pipes freezing then its not really the contractors fault as you didn't specify to him that you wanted the pipes insulated.

If however you did tell him to insulate the pipes and he didn't then thats a different story altogether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement