Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Educated Voice

• 14-01-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

Pat Kenny was talking to The Knight of Glin , Desmond Fitzgerald who seemed like Pat a decent fellow. Pat described him as having "An educated voice" . Is there such a thing and is there an uneducated voice. Leave off slagging Pat what about the voice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not the sort of thing we are supposed to mention in this egalitarian age ;) What is an educated voice though? The voice of an educated person or one thats merely plausible?

Some educated voices are still hard to live with as Mary Wilson proves Monday to Firday with her 'studied' delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

That reference caught my ear too, Mr Inconfidence.
    It sounded to me like a euphemism for the West Brit accent of the Ascendancy. Dessie did say he was educated in England, I guess in the public school way. He also said he used to work as a curator for the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. It would have been nice to hear a bit more about that and what these titled lads do before they have to come home to fight to keep a bit of heating on in those Big Houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

mike65 wrote: »
    Not the sort of thing we are supposed to mention in this egalitarian age ;) What is an educated voice though? The voice of an educated person or one thats merely plausible?

Some educated voices are still hard to live with as Mary Wilson proves Monday to Firday with her 'studied' delivery.

Mary Wilson comes on, I turn off

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I took it to mean the depth of his knowledge rather than his tone. A reference to his time and experience of Harvard, the V+A and the Georgian Society etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He didn't get that 'voice' in Harvard.

He mentioned that someone belonging to him was educated in Winchester, so I assumed he was too, although he didn't confirm.

Would have thought he might have tried Ampleforth but as that is a Catholic school, maybe he is not a Catholic.

Came across as a very educated person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Is there such a thing and is there an uneducated voice. Leave off slagging Pat what about the voice?

The old fella who does the 'Brennans Bread' adverts :D

Brendan O'Carroll in the Des Kelly ad.:mad:

Brendan O'Carroll in the Des Kelly ad.:mad:

Ooooh heard that ad today.

Wouldn't have the good knight was a catholic unless a convert. Or would would that be "converting" if you were returning to your families original church? I dunno...

I did notice that his future son in law attended Eton. He's from a Catholic family. Very well spoken too.

What about RTE's 'what do the welfare classes do with their Mickey Money' correspondent, Paddy O'Gorman. Nice touch of the Plastic Paddys about his delivery. He's educated enough to know that bringing his mike into a pub in Ennis or Kilkenny at 2 in the afternoon will get him the on-air gold he needs. That or a traveller gathering.

What's your point about that Mr Tarmac, in the context of the promulgated discussion.?

• Advertisement

Well, Mr Bantam, you are indeed correct to pull me up. My observations are clearly out of context with the promulgated discussion. It's just the accent and soft spoken delivery of the Cobh born Mr O Gorman have always been a fascination to me as he visits every Vincent de Paul shop in the country knowing it's a sure bet for a nice bit of hardship.
    You are indeed correct though - not that relevent here.

Let me expungate here Mr Tarmac, my point wasn't really to excoriate you for mentioning Mr O'Gorman,merely to establish a hidden meaning behind his rather unusual accent.

My leaning is of course is that he spent some time in the UK ,but where, is the question.

I would suggest the North East, but I was perhaps hoping you might be able to expand or correct me on that.

In no way did I intend to embarrass you, and I appreciate your extremely civil reply.

Let me also compliment you on your own civility, Mr. Flutt. A rare thing these days. I would have said there was a touch of of the Midlands about it, but my ear is not that well attuned to these things. I was looking to see if a biog of Paddy existed which might fill this gap for us, but to no avail so far.
    He is the only head on RTE that I've heard refer to the 'Welfare Class' which, it seems,has replaced the Working Class in many areas over a generation. That brought down a nice bit of shrill condemnation on his head one afternoon on Mooney.

Thank you Mr Timmy.

You are perfectly correct ,he seems to have a knack of rolling into some provincial town at circa 1300 and find a pub packed with 'job seekers' and various other examples of social detritus,but all seem to be able to neck pints to beat the band all day long.

Still trying to figure out that phenomenon, so I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

He did get the whole professional whinging liberal set up in arms last year, when he said that the majority of homeless people were without a home because of substance abuse, or a mental illness. It was reported that Fr Peter McVeigh had a fúcking hernia after hearing it.

On the topic in question, Henry McKean from the Sean Moncrieff show has an educated voice. He may not be educated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

IronMan wrote: »
    He may not be educated though.

I am not Henry, though I am educated. You would never guess from my voice, or indeed my demeanour. Many of my friends would not thank me for saying the same of them. I also know many who sound very educated, though are, in fact, not.

Education is no guarantee of intellect, this post a case in point.

POG explained his accent not too long ago on Mooney. Irish father and East End mother. He was born and brought up in....ah...eh, think he said Middlesex and then the family moved to Cobh when he was about 12. He mentioned that his brothers have completely lost their English accents and then he aped a few Irish regional accents. He was very good at doing the few regions. Had the difference between Cobh and Cork city perfect.

Did you hear that cow Twink on the Mooney show???

For heaven's sake, big in Turkey, has she noooo cop on.

Did you hear that cow Twink on the Mooney show???

For heaven's sake, big in Turkey, has she noooo cop on.

Oh god yes I did. Mind you the show started oddly enough with The Beek O 'Donoghue doing the pre news intro. Mooney was caught short.
    Twink's accent drifting from standard southside pronunciation to something that would rattle the glasses off the shelves in the village of Arundel.
    I couldn't figure out if what she was saying was more annoying than the way she was saying it. Such a condescending, duplicitous, culturally vacuous guest and it's not boding well for the furure either as Mooney appeared to be laying the carpet out for her next return in the way he was gushing at the end.

This is a pity. Mooney has been plugging a lot of sad old acts, wheeling out the old familiars in the last year where previously his show was a lot more independent of spirit.

I really have been asking myself- "is it me? Is the likes of K. Lynch, O'Carroll, Twink etc. funny and I'm just not getting it?"

There's one educated voice right there: Twink. Just depends on which voice she's using to condescend at the time. The listeners mostly.

Advertisement