Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring the attic. Cost?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

My brother wants to get the attic floored in so he can free up some extra space etc,etc. in his house. He got a quote before xmas of €1900 all in. Does this seem a bit excessive? Now im not talking about a conversion,just flooring it in.

Thanks for any help and advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

depends on what hes flooring it with and the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Sounds a lot for what it does. I went out and got attic flooring in Homebase. ITs like the lamiate flooring it slots together. Each strip is just simply screwed to the ceiling joists. andf the next one is clipped in and screwed down. Very easy job made a nice bit of storage space for me. Think it was about 15 euro a sq metre 4 or 5 boxes of that made loads of room for me anyway. I d go that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Sounds a lot
    Was he going to cross batten the joists to prevent cracking the ceiling?
    It's very easy DIY job if you are carefull.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

what are you planning to floor it with ?
    what is the area?

you could do a few different things.
    check what you current insulation is ? will it be enough to keep the house warm ?
    if so then just somthing like 8x2x18mm t+g chipboard or smatply screwed onto the ceiling joists will do sound. mind for cables and make sure you have enough support underneath >?

if not look at getting something like knauf ridgid high compression rigid insulation and put this down with the smartply ontop.

Advertisement