Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop reccommendations for Internet marketing and SEO business

• 14-01-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all.

I am in need of a new laptop. I am starting a business dealing in SEO and Internet marketing in the coming weeks and thought that you experts could help point me in the right direction as to what laptop i should purchase.

I suppose i would like to purchase one for 500 euro or less due to budget constraints.....is this enough or do you reccommend i spend more?

Budget: 500 incl VAT as i will not be regestering for VAT in first year of trading!
    but if you think i should be spending more then just let me know!

Intended use: Alot of: internet, e-mail, Word processing,
    also alot of using Paypal and blogging, aswell as downloading articles (pdf.) and most importantly managing my websites over google analytics and google adsense!!!!

Mobility: Well the laptop should fit into stndrd laptop case....so im not looking for anything too small...should have a big enough screen to view my websites as other see them on their computers....i would like a laptop with a good battery, maybe the option to purchase another battery so i can have 2 batterys on the go?....i will be using this laptop on the bus etc and in cafes!!

Warranty: No i dont think so as i will not have the money!

What Operating System do you use? Oh Microsoft vista al the way!

Hoping to hear some feedback!!!!

Thanks, All suggestions welcome!

Regards,

Duncanb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

With €500 you're just going to get a bog standard laptop. It should be decent enough to do what you need to do.

You requirements shouldn't be really dictated by the area of business you are planning to go into. It should be dictated by the type of software you need to run and the mobility you require.

I personally have always gone for a "desktop replacement", which makes my laptop quite bulky and heavy. But that's because when I started in web development, I was doing everything from design and development to accounts. My current laptop will probably be the last "desktop replacement" laptop I will personally get as I don't get involved in day to day work anymore.

What do I use everyday now?

1. A number of browsers
    2. Email Client
    3. AdWords Editor
    4. Word Processor
    5. Spreadsheet
    6. Payroll Software
    7. FTP software
    8. Text Editor

That's it really - so I personally don't need anything special. I like a biggish screen, so a netbook wouldn't really be an option for me.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Dell Inspiron 15" or higher...but get completecare or at least 3NBD support.

Not sure of the relevance to this forum - despite the applicaiton of the notebook but to make it more relevant, why dont you tell us more about your business and background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

any laptop built in the last 4 or 5 years will do the job you want it to do.

basically you're asking for laptop that has wifi and can run a browser and MS office :D

just buy the cheapest you can find from dell, laptopsdirect, pcworld etc... it will do what you want it to do and more but will probably come with windows 7 and not vista...

Advertisement