Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaded Exam Letter

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Has anybody received that horrible letter in the post explaining how you have to repeat in August if you haven't performed adequately in the Christmas exams?

It really is soul crushing when that letter comes in the postbox. :pac:
    For the record, I didn't get one though. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

I remember when i got one, got an N/G for it and all...probably didnt help that I slept in for the entire exam though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

when are the exam results out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

eoins2345 wrote: »
    when are the exam results out?

Thursday 21st Jan afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Are the letters out? I'm expecting confirmation of an I-Grade for Ireland and the World Economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

What exactly does the letter say? Does it tell you what module(s) you failed or does it give you the results of all of your other modules...or does it simply state that you did not achieve a 2.0? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I'm definately getting a letter so I'll let you know when it arrives.

Chett wrote: »
    What exactly does the letter say? Does it tell you what module(s) you failed or does it give you the results of all of your other modules...or does it simply state that you did not achieve a 2.0? Just curious.

It depends what the problem is. It gives the results of your modules (the F is be pretty obvious) or states that your QCA isn't high enough to continue. Either way, it's pretty soul destroying...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

It normal comes the day before the results go online! (well the last day of post before the results, cause I had an 'I grade' last semester and I got the letter the friday and the results were out the monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

I thought they only send them out in the summer!

How much does it cost to repeat an exam? Does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

How much does it cost to repeat an exam? Does anybody know?

Unless it has changed, I believe it's €171 per exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Anyone get a letter yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I'd say in all probability the letters should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Also, I would like to note that the fees for repeating are scandalous and totally out of proportion.

The idea of capping the exam results is stupid and irresponsible representing a total failure of the system in the first place. What in all honesty is the point in repeating if you are only upgraded one grade, whilst paying over the odds for it in the first place?

It baffles me to think that a review has not taken place as this system is tired, ignorant and unmercifully expensive. The financial circumstances of all students both here in UL and all over the country have changed and so too should the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

What time will the results be out on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

neo2010 wrote: »
    The idea of capping the exam results is stupid and irresponsible representing a total failure of the system in the first place. What in all honesty is the point in repeating if you are only upgraded one grade, whilst paying over the odds for it in the first place?

It baffles me to think that a review has not taken place as this system is tired, ignorant and unmercifully expensive.

Speaking as someone who has failed more exams that I'd like to admit... Pass your exams in the first place... Don't complain about things when not doing enough work got you there!

What time will the results be out on Thursday?

I'm pretty sure it's 9:00am. I remember a few times staying up until 12:00 the previous night to get onto the site before it would crash, only to find that they didn't get put up until nine.

I'm pretty sure it's 9:00am. I remember a few times staying up until 12:00 the previous night to get onto the site before it would crash, only to find that they didn't get put up until nine.

Thanks for that Chett. Best of luck with the results.

Pass your exams in the first place...

+1. Sitting an exam in August is a scarring experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Anyone receive the letter today?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

where do we get the results? i know its on the ul site but where?

• Advertisement

croker1 wrote: »
    where do we get the results? i know its on the ul site but where?

Go to www.si.ul.ie

Put in you UL ID and password

Then put in your date of birth

Go to student records on the left and they will be in there.

Well the postman just passed so no letter today. Howerver I am 86.7942% sure that I earned myself a fail in one module so I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bill Cosby

Im pretty sure those letters only come in the summer. At 1 stage a few years back i failed an autumn exam and dont think i recieved a letter, i found out i failed online. Then i passed all exams in the spring semester but recieved the letter with results because i had a module from the autumn semester to repeat. Hope that makes sense.

I got an I-Grade before and a letter usually is forwarded explaining that your application for the grade has been successful. Has anybody received that letter yet?

I'm expecting an I-Grade letter, no sign yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Niamhy23

So basically no one is safe for def until the online results tomorrow is it?Here was me thinking I was on the road to passing them all when no letter came this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

neo2010 wrote: »
    I'd say in all probability the letters should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Also, I would like to note that the fees for repeating are scandalous and totally out of proportion.

It baffles me to think that a review has not taken place as this system is tired, ignorant and unmercifully expensive. The financial circumstances of all students both here in UL and all over the country have changed and so too should the fees.

This is a ridiculous statement!!! then the advantage is given to the person who fails to get aa very good score in the repeat. this is obviously unjust as the repeater has more time to study for the exam in the long run. If u failed ur lucky enough to get a chance to repeat but to ask for the chance to recieve a possible A grade is just greedy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Im pretty sure those letters only come in the summer. At 1 stage a few years back i failed an autumn exam and dont think i recieved a letter, i found out i failed online. Then i passed all exams in the spring semester but recieved the letter with results because i had a module from the autumn semester to repeat. Hope that makes sense.

you are right...the letter only comes in the summer with details of all the repeats you will have from both semesters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Really not looking forward to tomorrow. Although i normally felt like this, even in secondary school so i'm hoping it's just the pessimism inside me.

• Advertisement

Tones66 wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous statement!!! then the advantage is given to the person who fails to get aa very good score in the repeat. this is obviously unjust as the repeater has more time to study for the exam in the long run. If u failed ur lucky enough to get a chance to repeat but to ask for the chance to recieve a possible A grade is just greedy!!!

In response to my statement being branded ridiculous, I urge you to properly read what I had said as I was expressing my dissatisfaction with the fees required to repeat. I don't have much money, and am in a similar situation as many students are currently and I really would not like the idea of contemplating repeating due to the extortionate fees needed to do so.

I am also not in favor of the current system. It defeats the purpose of repeating in the first place if you are only upgraded by a single grade but I agree that in certain circumstances, this situation may lead to an advantage.

Advertisement