Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term rental - deposit question

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We are in a short term rental until the water damage in house is repaired. The landlord is aware that we could be here from 6 wks to a few months. We can leave at any time and pay week to week if we leave mid-month.

So I was told by the estate agent that the rent was E700 pm. We agreed and the next day I was asked for E1400 - no mention of a deposit *before* we agreed to the monthly rent.

However, the oil tank was left empty and just paid for an emergency delivery. So I do not plan on paying a deposit. The landlord is only renting this himself and if not for us would be paying rent on a empty house. We are in desperate circumstances as our house flooded and we have 2 small children.

Also my concern is that since the 'landlord' is from another country what happens if I did pay a deposit and he left with it? We cannot afford to lose that money.

Is it usual to pay a deposit on short term rentals? Should we have been told that before agreeing to take the property? Is it possible to request that the estate agent hold the deposit so we are guaranteed it's return. Have never rented before so don't know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wexmum wrote: »
    Should we have been told that before agreeing to take the property?
    Yes. Whether a deposit is taken on short leases or not is up to the parties to agree. You did not agree.

Have you signed a lease?

Who are you paying the money to? The landlord or the agent. If directly to the landlord, you are required by the Revenue Commissioners to withhold 20% of the rent and pay it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wexmum

Hello, no we have not signed the lease yet but we are in the house per the estate agent's permission.

I don't know yet who the money will be paid to (estate agent or landlord). i will definitely ask about the 20% that goes to Revenue.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Advertisement