Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First attempt with Home Studio Flash - Some C&C would be welcome...

• 14-01-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

So I finally got a chance to take some photo’s with my new gear. Its my first time using a Home Studio flash and it seems simple enough - to set up anyway!

Now when I say “time” I have to qualify. A ½ hour, with no set up time, one 9 month old who wanted to pull down all those wires, no other adult to help with said baby, one dirty face and one nappy that needed to be changed…and none of this was in the manual! :D

I think that there is a slight blue tinge to the skin, but has anyone got any comments?

073FFE5E3F3541D6929C15DD8DFB572C-800.jpg

8D38C56CF14A4A2D854A278CE8FD1B6B-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Photos made my day... really cute..

I cant give a photographical account of what I think because I'm smiling too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

I can't seem to get past that big smile, but other than the blue tinge (keep going)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

k_user did you shoot them in Raw, it might explain the unusual skin tone, But I have to say apart from that a fantastic day's work---Keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Aww :D Im waiting for my little lad to get a bit more cooperative about the shooting, at the moment Im snapping random shots of him when I can....he's not a fan of the camera so far. These look fantastic to me, possibly warm them up a bit for a kinda cosy effect to go with that big smile?

Could I trouble you and ask what Home Studio Flash you use and how you set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thanks all!

Yeah, its the smile that sells it - had I posted a picture of my ugly mug the complaints would have rained in! :D

• Advertisement

Fireman wrote: »
    k_user did you shoot them in Raw, it might explain the unusual skin tone, But I have to say apart from that a fantastic day's work---Keep up the good work
    Thanks - I'm looking forward to the weekend, might be able to get my wife to assist with the little lad. Today was a bit too hard! I'd sit him down, dive for the camera, but by the time I got the thing focused he was off crawling! :D

Yip, they are taken in RAW. The colour tint was my own fault. I did a little work in Photoshop but didn't spot the colour cast. It was only when I was uploading the pictures that I noticed the problem, by that stage I couldn't be bothered to go back and fix it. :p

Trev M wrote: »
    Aww :D Im waiting for my little lad to get a bit more cooperative about the shooting, at the moment Im snapping random shots of him when I can....he's not a fan of the camera so far. These look fantastic to me, possibly warm them up a bit for a kinda cosy effect to go with that big smile?

Could I trouble you and ask what Home Studio Flash you use and how you set up?
    Thanks - you have to love it when they are really small though! You get lots of photo's of them looking completely in the wrong direction, its like they wait until the last millisecond before turning! :D

I just bought the INTERFIT 150 Mark2. Its my first time using one, so my set up was fairly basic. A chair with a white sheet thrown over it. One flash head and softbox slightly to the left and from above. The other flash head on the right, with just a spill-kill, pointing at the sheet. A reflector just resting against the second head, to light the other side of his face. I then plonked the child on the seat and snapped away quickly. I got 10 shots before he got too annoyed to continue. In 8 of them he was either looking away or looked drunk! The 2 I posted were just the lucky ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

2 good pictures is better than none :) Congrats on these, they are really good and the little fella's smile is indeed infectious. I had to get my wife to help me keep the girls distracted so I could get some with my first attempt at using the Interfit kit. I need to work on a better background setup but I'm loving the interfit kit for it's simplicity.

4252175039_91e2f5e3c6.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lovely shots to be honest, I'd say your other half would love them framed

She squealed alot when she saw them - perhaps she finally approves of me spending all the money on "that geeky crap"!! :D

• Advertisement

DK32 wrote: »
    2 good pictures is better than none :) Congrats on these, they are really good and the little fella's smile is indeed infectious. I had to get my wife to help me keep the girls distracted so I could get some with my first attempt at using the Interfit kit. I need to work on a better background setup but I'm loving the interfit kit for it's simplicity.

4252175039_91e2f5e3c6.jpg
    Love the dresses and we have even more smiles! :D

The Kit seems good, simple to use, easy to set up. I still have to work out the correct way to meter though.

And like yourself the background is an issue. Its either buy a kit - which I can't afford - or do some DIY on the wall of my study - too much like hard work? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

In the same boat myself, can't really afford a background, would really like a pop up hi-light but it will have to wait a while. Mean time I'm going to stick with sheets (ironed :) ) and neutral coloured walls.

Would you believe someone made off with my Ironed white sheets. I had to use a baggy, un-ironed one that needs a wash! :D Hence the facial close ups! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Nice shots.

On the tint issue, check the white balance setting ( either in camera or in raw converter after )

You should have it set to flash... it is the 'thunderbolt' symbol.

Another option would be to convert that image to black and white.

Nice shots.

On the tint issue, check the white balance setting ( either in camera or in raw converter after )

You should have it set to flash... it is the 'thunderbolt' symbol.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I have it set to flash, the blue tint doesn't really bother me all that much. I think it was a post-processing error on my part. Something I'll take a look at again.

What I was interested in was whether anyone would spot any other issues.
    If the background is too white, or if the parts of the face that are cut out makes it "look" wrong. Is it sharp enough.
    Another option would be to convert that image to black and white.
    Had to give this one a go! :D

E6F2754384374DF2A9E1A6D4A7DFBE89-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

may i ask what lens etc you were using

I have a Fuji S5 and used my Nikkor 50mm.

I think I varied between F8 at 125s and at 80s - depend how close I moved myself or the softbox.

Advertisement