Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creaking groundfloor floorboards

• 14-01-2010 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

ground floor. solid oak floorboards secret naield to battens whaich are at approx 400mm centres. installed 2000 getting worse.
    creaking and slight lifting when walked over the boards .
    l

wish i had put down a concrete screed and dlued boards now.
    anyways we are where we are............. is there something i could fill the voids under the boards with (expanding foam) or would i have togo the huge hassle of taking up all floors skirt furniture etc and pump in a self levelling concrete screed,,,,,,,,,,,,, ? anyone experience anything like this. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Creaking boards can be solved by sprinkling talc on the offended area. The talc will eventually, with a little help, work its way to the join that is causing the creak.

It the boards are lifting it could be down to where swelling has lifted the board from the batton below. If this is the case you may need to lift the boards. This is easily done but may require taking off skirtings, lift saddle baords, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

ground floor. solid oak floorboards secret naield to battens whaich are at approx 400mm centres. installed 2000 getting worse.
    creaking and slight lifting when walked over the boards .
    l

wish i had put down a concrete screed and dlued boards now.
    anyways we are where we are............. is there something i could fill the voids under the boards with (expanding foam) or would i have togo the huge hassle of taking up all floors skirt furniture etc and pump in a self levelling concrete screed,,,,,,,,,,,,, ? anyone experience anything like this. thanks.

Sounds like boards have no more room to expand. I've seen a good few solid floors go down, both glued and nailed, most tend to leave a gap between board and wall under skirting, that way boards can expand. If boards are tight against wall / skirting they cant expand over time, they tend to buckle up in this case. Might be worth taking off some skirting to see how close boards are to wall.

I cant see expanding foam working, sounds messy to me. You have to find out why they are buckling up / loosening etc they will continue to do so until problem is solved.

Advertisement