Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a hatchback, which ones should I avoid?

• 14-01-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Already own a peugeot 206, 2001 model and is looking to buy another hatchback for my wife (second hand), shortlisting >=2005 manual models only. I wont go for another peugeot. Could you please suggest some make or models to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Rather than suggesting cars to avoid, it'd probably be better to suggest cars to buy. Do you have a budget in mind? 3 door or 5 door? Petrol Diesel?etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭TestLink

Rather than suggesting cars to avoid, it'd probably be better to suggest cars to buy. Do you have a budget in mind? 3 door or 5 door? Petrol Diesel?etc

Budget :7500 Max
    Doors:5
    Fuel: Petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

In no particular order:

1.6 Focus (not 1.4)
    Civic
    Leon (not 1.4)
    Mazda 3 (not 1.4)
    Golf (not 1.4)

Just my opinion that many of the 1.4's are no longer up to the job with cars getting heavier. A 1.6 can often be more fuel efficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should be able to get a Ford Focus on your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

What to get

Mitsubishi Colt 1.6 GLX

Seat Leon 1.6

or a Focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Skoda Fabia.. 1.9tdi if you can find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

EPM wrote: »
    In no particular order:

1.6 Focus (not 1.4)
    Civic
    Leon (not 1.4)
    Mazda 3 (not 1.4)
    Golf (not 1.4)

Just my opinion that many of the 1.4's are no longer up to the job with cars getting heavier. A 1.6 can often be more fuel efficient

My GF has a Focus II 1.4 petrol and tbh I can't fault it. It won't win any races but its cheaper to tax compared to the 1.6 and she gets around 40mpg out of it. Also we'd four adults and camping gear going around England last year in it and it was fine.

My GF has a Focus II 1.4 petrol and tbh I can't fault it. It won't win any races but its cheaper to tax compared to the 1.6 and she gets around 40mpg out of it. Also we'd four adults and camping gear going around England last year in it and it was fine.

Difference in tax is tiny. I had a 1.4 Focus and found it laboured most of the time. Had to thrash it to make decent progress and overtaking is downright dangerous. It's geared for economy on a cruise. If you compare it to a 1.4 Golf with the same power that will feel livlier but scream at motorway speeds. 1.6 is a far superior car

EPM wrote: »
    Difference in tax is tiny. I had a 1.4 Focus and found it laboured most of the time. Had to thrash it to make decent progress and overtaking is downright dangerous. It's geared for economy on a cruise. If you compare it to a 1.4 Golf with the same power that will feel livlier but scream at motorway speeds. 1.6 is a far superior car

Was yours the orginal Focus or Focus II like my GF's? I drive a 1.8 petrol Laguna and still find the Focus good. Granted I change down when over taking but I do that in any car to be sure to be sure!!

Thing is though that the difference in tax is €357 as opposed to €445. That is only €88 extra over 12 months which is not alot to be honest. I would bet that the 1.6 litre would be just as good on fuel due to having less work to do.

• Advertisement

Was yours the orginal Focus or Focus II like my GF's? I drive a 1.8 petrol Laguna and still find the Focus good. Granted I change down when over taking but I do that in any car to be sure to be sure!!

04 Mark 1. That was 74 brake but the new one is only 79 in a bigger car. They are very similar. Test drove them when I was changing mine that time and it was more of the same

I didn't realise that the difference in tax would be that low!

I suppose the best thing to do is try the 1.4 and the 1.6. I'm only going on personal experience and I enjoy driving the Focus! :)

But if I'd to go out tomorrow and buy a used hatchback it would be the 1.6 tdi Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I collected a MkII Focus 1.4 a couple of years ago, and seriously thought there was something wrong with it - it was that slow.

Had to scream the engine nearly to the red line, down hill, in 3rd to get up to a proper motorway merging speed.

1.6 is definatley the way to go in that size of car, or diesel if it's within budget. You'll save a bit on fuel costs, but reap the rewards when you come to sell it.

This looks tidy enough but I'm a little confused by the timing belt changed recently as the 1.6 TDCi has a timing chain and doesn't need changing until 150k miles.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200947195899004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

bazz26 wrote: »
    This looks tidy enough but I'm a little confused by the timing belt changed recently as the 1.6 TDCi has a timing chain and doesn't need changing until 150k miles.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200947195899004

It has a belt and a chain... belt to get drive from crank to cam 1... and chain to drive cam 2 from cam 1 I suspect..

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200612/2007-citroen-c4-3_460x0w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭TestLink

I actually has a 1.1/1.2 in mind as the car is supposed to travel only less than 50 kms per week. So fuel efficiancy is important for me. Any one knows the mileage difference between 1.1 to 1.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

as an ex-octavia owner I would advise you to go for octavia, but it will be prob too big for a lady, maybe fabia then?

if you are looking for a bigger hatch then octavia or maybe even laguna?

Advertisement