Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article: No funds for road repairs - Dempsey

• 14-01-2010 4:23pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No funds for road repairs - Dempsey
    Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has said that no extra funds would be made available to local authorities to repair roads damaged during the recent bout of severe weather.

Speaking this morning following a meeting of the National Emergency Response Committee this afternoon Mr Dempsey said local authorities were provided with an allocation for road works and, as usual, they would have to work within this.

He said a €400 million road works allocation had been agreed around the time of the Budget and that this would be given to local authorities later this month.

"The same rules apply every year," he said. "They work inside the budget they have."

He said no emergency funding was available from Government but that local authorities were always advised to "keep aside a certain amount of their allocation to meet weather contingencies".

Gerald Fleming of Met Éireann said temperatures were returning to normal but warned that heavy rain could cause further flooding in the south in the coming days.

Mr Fleming said “we could be looking at as much as 40 to 50mm of rain” between tonight tomorrow across the south and southwest which could lead to spot flooding.

Gerry Galvin of the Department of the Environment said he hoped water supplies would stabilise over the weekend when temperatures rose.

However, he said it could take "as long as three to four moths" for reservoirs and supplies to return to normal in Dublin and four to six weeks in other areas.

Mr Dempsey said local authorities in six areas - South Dublin, Tipperary North, Tipperary South, Meath, Carlow and Kildare- were investigating if urea which was used to grit roads when salt and grit supplies were wiped out had contaminated water supplies.

He said the authorities were awaiting test results but he was not concerned about supplied being contaminated.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0114/breaking60.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The roads in West Cork look like they have been shelled, theu are in an awful state. The council have been shovelling grit into them to stop cars blowing out both tyres when they drop into them.
    I don't know what the rest of the country looks like but if they are like these ones then the tyre shops are going to be doing great business.
    It is not small areas either some of them are across the entire road.
    Powerful stuff freezing water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

He said no emergency funding was available from Government but that local authorities were always advised to "keep aside a certain amount of their allocation to meet weather contingencies".
    :rolleyes:
    FFS.
    Thats it Noel, you pr1k. In fact, what good are you to us?

cadaliac wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    FFS.
    Thats it Noel, you pr1k. In fact, what good are you to us?

If he wasn't so slimy I would recommend him as filler for some of the potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

A good few roads in East Cork are no more. Impassible to all but those with Unimogs. They will have to find more money, they could pretend the Roads Network is a dilenquent Bank or something and then throw billions at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The roads in West Cork look like they have been shelled

So West Cork has finally caught up with East Cork:rolleyes:

Why are we the most taxed motorists in Europe??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Powerful stuff freezing water.
    Only really a problem is the roads are in sh1te to begin with.

When you see the lads fixing them with a shovel of tarmac you know we are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I bust a tyre this morning - first time I had the car out in days, was driving old 4x4 in the snow/ice. €140 down and hour-and-a-half lete for work.:mad:

Dempsey is only good for chasing good PR with Irish Times readers with unecessary new laws.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

GreeBo wrote: »

When you see 15 lads fixing them with a shovel of tarmac you know we are in trouble.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

GreeBo wrote: »

When you see the lads fixing them with a shovel of tarmac you know we are in trouble.
    They filled a number of deep potholes in the road to our village a couple of days ago using the most modern civil engineering technique. That involves dropping a shovel of chippings with a bit of asphalt into the water filled hole and then jumping on it with wellies. It is a temporary repair that generally lasts at least a day. However, I suppose their supply of tarmac was as limited as their supply of salt as they only filled the holes in the middle of the road and left the deeper ones along the verge. Those are the ones most likley to fill with water and become invisible. Maybe they have shares in Advance Pitstop etc?

Incidentally I would not support any suggestion of Noel Dempsey beig used to fill potholes. Waste of a good hole:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just to make everyone aware. The council are not liable for damage to cars on holes that occured through wear & tear or unusual weather etc. They are liable though in cases where they fixed the holes with unsuitable material or just a generally unfit repair or leaving roadworks in unfit state.
    Now I would advise everyone to take a photo or two of some of the patchwork that is being carried out these last few days. I say this because the repair will last about 2 days from what ive seen. If you were then to bend a rim or worse at the location of one of these bad repairs, the council are 100% responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ffs..

If they had built the roads right in the first place we wouldnt have this problem.

Its a disgrace I cant drive anywhere now without the risk of getting a punctured tyre or even worse crashing while trying to aviod these craters. Pisses me off so much.

Does road tax pay for the roads? If so I aint paying it. (Bluffing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cantdecide wrote: »

Because years ago the muppets of this country were promised lower tax's year on year. And they believed it. And thus began the reign of indirect taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Because we have the most paved roads per head of population in Europe, far too many roads going to the arse end of Ballygobackwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Irish roads are bit like Ireland itself.

Instead doing the road well in first place it will be done badly with high cost, a bit like Irish houses. Then it can be repaired and council will have something to do, maybe even overtime. Of course the repair cannot be too good, otherwise the councils would run out of jobs.

Yeah, I'll Get Me Coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

itarumaa wrote: »
    Irish roads are bit like Ireland itself.

Instead doing the road well in first place it will be done badly with high cost, a bit like Irish houses. Then it can be repaired and council will have something to do, maybe even overtime. Of course the repair cannot be too good, otherwise the councils would run out of jobs.

Yeah, I'll Get Me Coat

The "tar and chips" really gets me. A completely pointless road surface, but the council insist on it. One road that was washed away in the past few days got the tar and chips treatment in october.

maidhc wrote: »
    The "tar and chips" really gets me. A completely pointless road surface, but the council insist on it. One road that was washed away in the past few days got the tar and chips treatment in october.

Not as expensive as the 1/2" tarmac that is apparently standard on roads around here. I wonder do the contractors bill for 4" of tarmac or 1/2"?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Another disgruntled Cork motorist here, the roads in the county are now in a dire state altogether, proper big potholes and dips on even supposed national primary roads and city roads alike, and not just since the big freeze, good thing my car does'nt have alloys at the moment! :D

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Another disgruntled Cork motorist here

Have you noticed that if you go in any direction with your back to Cork, the roads improve. How does that work?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Because we have the most paved roads per head of population in Europe

Would you call them paved? They're unedged, mainteneance free rumble strips for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

1. The Government are wasting money on speed cameras when repairs the roads would almost certainly save more lives.
    2. The RSA have nothing to say on the issue of fixing roads. What good are the RSA ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

1. The Government are wasting money on speed cameras when repairs the roads would almost certainly save more lives.
    2. The RSA have nothing to say on the issue of fixing roads. What good are the RSA ?

1. Speed cameras generate revenue. Road repairs do not.
    2. The RSA are there to publish silly adverts and to give Gay Byrne a job. They are just another quango with no obvious other purpose:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mickdw wrote: »
    Just to make everyone aware. The council are not liable for damage to cars on holes that occured through wear & tear or unusual weather etc. They are liable though in cases where they fixed the holes with unsuitable material or just a generally unfit repair or leaving roadworks in unfit state..
    ...sorry, not buying that at all, and if you want (recent) precedent, you can quote Galway CoCo and N6 Construction - they have paid out €130,000 to motorists for damage to cars, caused by imploding local roads, on foot of increased damage to local roads caused by construction traffic.

And that's before I start my 2k/year tax rant.......
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Because we have the most paved roads per head of population in Europe, far too many roads going to the arse end of Ballygobackwards.

....I'd say our definition of 'paved' and theirs, is different, somehow......I'd hardly call a lot of smaller roads 'paved' tbh......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The country is bankrupt, get used to the potholes, as the little amount of money we do have is being spent on social welfare and public service pay.

JHMEG wrote: »
    The country is bankrupt, get used to the potholes, as the little amount of money we do have is being spent on social welfare and public service pay.

You mean the 50bn+ that is used to bail out banks, developers and their buddies?
    If that was used to fund infrastructure then,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Your not, infact quite a few countries are more expensive, Road Tax on a 1.9 TDI in the Netherlands is between 1100 and 1250 a year depending on what part you live in.

craichoe wrote: »
    Your not, infact quite a few countries are more expensive, Road Tax on a 1.9 TDI in the Netherlands is between 1100 and 1250 a year depending on what part you live in.
    But their roads don't look like ours!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Not as expensive as the 1/2" tarmac that is apparently standard on roads around here. I wonder do the contractors bill for 4" of tarmac or 1/2"?;)

The best/worst example I have seen of that is Rochestown road in Cork which is tarmac but has been done to such low standards that has been resurfaced far too many times. You can see the top layer of tarmac basically peal off the bottom layer. I can only imagine the amount of money wasted on that small stretch of road.

craichoe wrote: »

How much is the VRT, fuel and VAT in the Netherlands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Along with having to put up with the torture of potholes, the roads around thurles are covered in stone chippings. I don't know if this is from the roads being ripped up or whatever crap was put on them to grit them but since i went back to work after my christmas holidays, the driver's side of my car has been hit 8 times by these chippings and chunks of paint came off each time. The side of my car looks like a snap shot of the moon's surface.

Where is the money we all fork out for road tax going each year? Certainly not to the maintenance of the road networks!

• Advertisement

Where is the money we all fork out for road tax going each year? Certainly not to the maintenance of the road networks!

No such animal I am afraid, have a closer look at the tax form, nowhere does it state that it is road tax, it is a MOTOR tax.
    Blame the Gov't for this, as it is diverted into a slush fund that is used for all kinds of everything.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Along with having to put up with the torture of potholes, the roads around thurles are covered in stone chippings. I don't know if this is from the roads being ripped up or whatever crap was put on them to grit them but since i went back to work after my christmas holidays, the driver's side of my car has been hit 8 times by these chippings and chunks of paint came off each time. The side of my car looks like a snap shot of the moon's surface.

When it snowing we complain about the lack of gritting, when its stopped snowing we complain about the gritting. If I worked for the council taking complaints I'd probably go on a killing spree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Good point CJ.

Cuddles, I never gave out about the lack of gritting. Around here they actually did a fairly top job. I'm giving out about the damage it has done to my car because our government are idiots and didn't have any salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

mickdw wrote: »
    Just to make everyone aware. The council are not liable for damage to cars on holes that occured through wear & tear or unusual weather etc. They are liable though in cases where they fixed the holes with unsuitable material or just a generally unfit repair or leaving roadworks in unfit state.
    Now I would advise everyone to take a photo or two of some of the patchwork that is being carried out these last few days. I say this because the repair will last about 2 days from what ive seen. If you were then to bend a rim or worse at the location of one of these bad repairs, the council are 100% responsible.

They may be 100% responsible but I can assure you, from bitter experience, in Co. Louth at least, they don't pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

It just goes to show that the Celtic Tiger was a complete and utter farce! This country is a comedy. Our government now havent even the money to resurface the road network. How have we got to this stage?. I wont take the freezing weather as an excuse. Whats the point buying a new car in this country, sur you' ll only wreck it unless you are living near the motorways. Whats the point having the NCT or even passing the NCT when cars will be damaged on the present roads anyway. I burst a tire today and damaged an alloy and Im not happy person at the moment.

Advertisement