Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parades Commission in exchange for P&J; A figleaf for DUP?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

If the DUP are going to accept the abolition of the Parades Commision [assuming SF offer them this,]in return for agreeing to the Sinn Fein demand of transfer of Policing and Justice, they will be fooling very few Unionist voters, and certainly will get no thanks from the Orange Order.
    The DUP ought to know that what the OO wants the abolition of the PC for is to be replaced by precisely nothing so they can march freely. They will not be even slightly impressed by having the PC replaced by a body with the exactly the same restrictive objectives, so I expect that's why the shinners will offer this, knowing that the DUP also know well that it's nothing but a figleaf. The DUP has clearly nothing but the purest contempt for their deluded voter base, so they will present this to them as a great victory. Checkmate to Sinn Fein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not so certain that SF or the SDLP will give up on the Parades Commission so easily.

I presume parades would then become a policing matter. While SF & SDLP might trust an Alliance policing minister, would they trust the prospect of a DUP or TUV policing minister? and even at that will the control sit with the minister or the chief constable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not so certain that SF or the SDLP will give up on the Parades Commission so easily.

I presume parades would then become a policing matter. While SF & SDLP might trust an Alliance policing minister, would they trust the prospect of a DUP or TUV policing minister? and even at that will the control sit with the minister or the chief constable?

It's hard to work out how these responsibilities would be agreed between SF and DUP,[or if the crash is followed by the UUP taking over as SF partner after election. SF and DUP are still negotiating that as we speak, and according to Gerry Adams in tonight's briefing, we shouldn't expect any breakthrough soon, which sounds like the shinners are holding fast to their ground, which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

PC will be redundant soon enough anyway. Eventually the OO and anyone else who wants to parade anywhere will have to pay for their own policing, and rightly so. I believe this has already started in parts of Scotland. The OO will not be able to afford the ridiculous amounts of parades they have on a yearly basis and will be restricted to have a couple of days a year. Same obviously applies to the other side of the coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

PC will be redundant soon enough anyway. Eventually the OO and anyone else who wants to parade anywhere will have to pay for their own policing, and rightly so. I believe this has already started in parts of Scotland. The OO will not be able to afford the ridiculous amounts of parades they have on a yearly basis and will be restricted to have a couple of days a year. Same obviously applies to the other side of the coin.

It might be expecting a lot for this place, that the scottish example would be followed, but making the OO pay the costs of their parades would certainly concentrate minds in the 'loyal ' orders. The PC has been making some bizarre rulings recently so as long as there's a body like it in place, nats won't woory about the demise of the PC. I believe SF will only consent to it's suspension, in these talks, so that's not a likely outcome the DUP would say yes to. SF are now in the driving seat, so they needn't walk away from this term, to trigger an election, because DUP won't be able to fool their voters about their being in control up there any longer, and galling as it may be for SF voters, that DUP would be spared an assembly election now, it will be still there for SF to get top of poll next year anyway.

Advertisement