Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you heard of the five lamps?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

go hang your bollocks off it.

does anybody know the origins of this saying? I know the five lamps is a pub on amiens street in dublin thats recently closed down and that the saying refers to the pub but thats it........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i thought it referred to the actual lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i thought it referred to the actual lamps
    which actual lamps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

The Five Lamps,in the middle of the junction at Amiens St./Portland Row.
    They haven't gone away,you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

You're obviously not a Dub:

090607013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

And this is obviously After Hours and not the Dublin City forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/images/090607013.jpg

The 'hang your knickers/whatever on them' was just a smart reply when anyone asked for directions around Dublin ;)

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    You're obviously not a Dub:

090607013.jpg
    thanks for that, never realised there were 5 lamps. I am a dub, but from the southside(so not a real one) now living on the northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Lol wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/images/090607013.jpg

The 'hang your knickers/whatever on them' was just a smart reply when anyone asked for directions around Dublin ;)
    thanks, assumed it was just some smart arse comment but was hoing there might have been more to it.

• Advertisement

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    The Five Lamps,in the middle of the junction at Amiens St./Portland Row.
    They haven't gone away,you know.

haha, I must live in a bubble, I'll have a look out the window of the bus on my way home

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

THE Five Lamps, a famous landmark in the North Inner City, commemorates five major battles
    fought in India during the days of the British Empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

one of the older smart Dubliner replys to ;)

THE Five Lamps, a famous landmark in the North Inner City, commemorates five major battles

What better way to stick it to the Indians than building a lampost in a Dublin slum?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

As far as I know the original structure was erected to commemorate five major battles fought by Britain in India during the Age of Empire.
    It had fallen in to a state of disrepair and only had two or three lamps for quite a while and was refurbished to its present state I think as a project for the Dublin Millenium.
    Just going on memory here, I am open to correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

What better way to stick it to the Indians than building a lampost in a Dublin slum?

Eh..... we were ruled by the British Empire.

This article from 1987 sheds some light on the restoration
    It's the only working gas street lamp left in Dublin.

It’s said that you’re not a real Dub if you were born beyond the Five Lamps….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Someone asks you where somewhere is, you say 'Yeh, dya know the 5 lamps' and they go 'Yeh' and then you go 'Well, hang your b0ll0x on it'

You can't mention the five lamps without being told to hang your b0ll0x on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Mentioned in "Rat Pack" by the Boomtown Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Excuse me. Can you tell me where the Stags head is?

Yeah bud, It's about 5ft from his arse....

:pac::pac:

:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Eh..... we were ruled by the British Empire.

This article from 1987 sheds some light on the restoration
    It's the only working gas street lamp left in Dublin.

It’s said that you’re not a real Dub if you were born beyond the Five Lamps….

Are the lamps in the Phoenix Park not still gas? They look it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i really shouldnt be here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

When it was constructed the area was actually quite well off and more popular than the Southside. The "accidental" bombing in North Strand destroyed a fair amount of building that would have shown the wealth at the time of construction. The route to Clontarf would have looked more like Ballsbridge than going through the corpo flats that it has now. There were tax issues that lead to a lot of Southside development and allowed grand houses become tenements in the city having a bigger effect on the Northside.

I am always surprised at how little Southsiders actually know about Dublin as a whole but the Northside in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Kipperhell wrote: »
    When it was constructed the area was actually quite well off and more popular than the Southside. The "accidental" bombing in North Strand destroyed a fair amount of building that would have shown the wealth at the time of construction. The route to Clontarf would have looked more like Ballsbridge than going through the corpo flats that it has now. There were tax issues that lead to a lot of Southside development and allowed grand houses become tenements in the city having a bigger effect on the Northside.

I am always surprised at how little Southsiders actually know about Dublin as a whole but the Northside in particular.

I knew that.....and I'm a Southsider....:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

THERE ARE FOUR LAMPS!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    THERE ARE FOUR LAMPS!

There used to be Five.
    It's da Northside,what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There used to be Five.
    It's da Northside,what do you expect?

It's a joke that only cool people will understand :cool:

I don't get it.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Surprised it hasn't been cunningly renamed traitors lamps or something, following grand irish tradition. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've heard of the Four Lanterns. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

I don't get it.
    :(

I get it:D

Advertisement