Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you heard of the five lamps?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

baalthor wrote: »
    Mentioned in "Rat Pack" by the Boomtown Rats

Correct. "Just down past the meat factory door, The Five Lamp boys were coming on strong."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never heard about it so must be a Dublin thing.
    AH/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭bnt

THE Five Lamps, a famous landmark in the North Inner City, commemorates five major battles
    fought in India during the days of the British Empire
    The Indian connection is interesting, since there is a Hindu tradition of lighting five lamps or candles for luck, especially at Diwali. The five lamps represent the five elements: earth, water, fire, air, and space. The V&A Museum in London has an ancient example, while a modern decorative diya looks like this.

When I worked for an IT company, a few years ago, I visited their offices in Bangalore to give training. There was a little ceremony to open the new department, and I was asked to light one of the five wicks on a diya lamp, for good luck. (Then we had slices of Winnie-the-Pooh cake, on paper plates with swastikas on the bottom!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Havent heard the 5 lamps thing in years.

Advertisement