Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts for beginners in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Hi,

The Bujinkan Doolan Dojo offers an ongoing beginners course in Dun Laoghaire.

The course is aimed for beginners would like to learn and practice the basics of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

If you would like to learn:
    • self defence
    • get fit
    • interested in martial arts
    • or just made a new years resolution to exercise more in 2010 :-)
    You are more than welcome to join our club.

There is no joining fee!!
    (pay-as-you-go, You can join anytime.)

Training times:
    Tuesdays: 18:30-20:00
    Thursdays: 19:00-21:00

More information:
    www.doolandojo.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Sound good,

How much per session?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nakor

benwavner wrote: »
    Sound good,

How much per session?

E10/session

Let me know if you need more info, or just drop in next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hi Nakor, thanks for the reply.

It sounds interesting enough. Can you post up some info on what exactly goes on in a session?

benwavner wrote: »
    Hi Nakor, thanks for the reply.

It sounds interesting enough. Can you post up some info on what exactly goes on in a session?

HI benwavner,

We start with a thorough warmup and stretching then we move on to practice so called ukemi (breakfalls) and rolls then it is basics like kicks/punches/locks/throws and we spice it up with pushups situps and a few self defence applications,
    Main focus is on the basics, no fancy stuff.

So it is hard work: "No shortcuts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Some info on what exactly Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is in terms of MA might be helpful for folks,

My basic understanding of it would be that it's (very simply put) a mishmash of martial arts that does include both armed and unarmed aspects. But as i say very simply put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Nakor wrote: »
    The Bujinkan Doolan Dojo offers an ongoing beginners course in Dun Laoghaire.

Post edited to remove contact details, anyone looking for information on this can ask on the thread.

calex71 wrote: »
    Some info on what exactly Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is in terms of MA might be helpful for folks,

Hi Calex,

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (BBT for short) can be described as Japanese JU-JUTSU. (ju-jitsu, jiu-jitsu).

Bujinkan is a relatively new term (less than 50years old), however the schools that are thought within the Bujinkan are more than several hundred years old. Some of them are martial arts used by the samurai and a few of them are arts used by the ninja. These schools are considered to be koryu (old-school) arts:
    * Gyokko-ryū (samurai)
    * Kuki Shinden-ryū (samurai)
    * Kotō-ryū (samurai)
    * Shinden Fudo-Ryu (samurai)
    * Takagi Yōshin-ryū (samurai)
    * Gikan-ryū Koppōjutsu (samurai)
    * Togakure-Ryu (ninjutsu)
    * Gyokushin-ryū Ninpō (ninjutsu)
    * Kumogakure-ryū Ninpō (ninjutsu)

6 of the above schools are though openly within the Bujinkan, and 3 of the above are rarely though as a system to the wide audience, although different concepts and techniques are often attributed to origin from these schools.

The current headmaster of the schools unified the basic principles of these schools and started to teach a holistic system that incorporated them into one art. It was first called Bujinkan Ninjutsu then later it become Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu and most recently Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

If you would like a modern day comparison of Bujinkan to other current martial arts, the best would be ju-jitsu (not Brazilian jiu-jitsu though).

The training in Bujinkan is difficult as there is no set training method/curriculum as in other martial arts and if you travel from country to country (or even within a country) you can find that different instructors teach slightly differently and put emphasis on different things. Some would concentrate on forms (kata) others would concentrate on self-defence, weapons practice, while a minority would concentrate on fighting (very few though). However the basics of the techniques are the same it is only the training method that is different (and in my opinion that is a crucial bit).

If you google or youtube Bujinkan you can get loads of information about the art (lot of bad ones actually).

I believe that a picture tells a thousand words so check these youtube clip (my former teacher):

5 basic techniques
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SUsXk4Rpog

1st half of this clip (nothing wrong with cross training;) )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6poIFf64oA

Shinden Fudo-ryu DVD demo (this is about kata/forms)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7Nz9I0Fm0

2008 summer camp in Hungary (too bad i could not be there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIbH0nyM8Y

So if you are wondering what to expect from my trainings check the above clips :-) Though I have to mention that I BELIEVE in SOLID BASICS so there will be lots of them and very few if any weapons.

Advertisement