Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing eircom 3347 wireless router

• 14-01-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

I have no wireless operation on my old eircom (I'm now with Perlico) router. Perlico are asking me to change the router as i have it 4 years and they can't guarantee it performance (I'm typing this using a cat 5e cable). I have updated the software to to 7.5.0.bin but updating to 742r2 fails.

What is the best type of alternative router (I presume its a router and not a switch and has to work for ADSL)?

The DSL sync also fails and they are asking me to get a Comms engineer to check my phone points. Any pointers as to what I could achieve here. I generally run the router from a second phone point beside my T.V.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

I have no wireless operation on my old eircom (I'm now with Perlico) router. Perlico are asking me to change the router as i have it 4 years and they can't guarantee it performance (I'm typing this using a cat 5e cable). I have updated the software to to 7.5.0.bin but updating to 742r2 fails.

What is the best type of alternative router (I presume its a router and not a switch and has to work for ADSL)?

There are two general ADSl standards, ADSl and ADSL2. Any ADSL wireless router should work. (I bought one in in ARGOS!) Older routers will work with the higher speed ADSL2, but only at the (lower) ADSL speed.

Your problem with wireless could be interference. This could be from another DSL system, a cordles phone, whatever. Try changing the channel it is using. If this doesn't work, and you have a friend with ADSL, check the router in their house.
    The DSL sync also fails and they are asking me to get a Comms engineer to check my phone points. Any pointers as to what I could achieve here. I generally run the router from a second phone point beside my T.V.

The ideal situation is if you have a master socket and can plug your router directly into it, with all other sockets disconnected. Failing that, make sure you have filters fitted to all your sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Since updating the software and switching my purple cable with a regular phone supply cable, things have improved with regards the DSL sync, its on constantly. Cable speed is down to almost dial-up speed so may be changing the router.

Wireless will still not work so I'm going to try the laptop at another location to check that all is well with the laptop.

I'm typing this in a public place so my wireless is working on the laptop. Phew!.

Will check out the phone point wiring before committing to a new router.

Any brands I should look out for or avoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The 3347 is a modem+router and not just a router (or the one I have is anyway), so be careful what you try to replace it with.

Have you checked the setup of the wireless in the router?
    Are you using encryption?
    Is the router showing a fault for the wireless?

The 3347 is a modem+router and not just a router (or the one I have is anyway), so be careful what you try to replace it with.

Have you checked the setup of the wireless in the router?
    Are you using encryption?
    Is the router showing a fault for the wireless?

I've checked all the setting with Perlico support, they were happy with what they found. The fact that if settings are correct and the wireless does not work, tells them that there is a fault in the router and I have to replace it. The wireless light flashes alot but my laptop cannot find any wireless networks (I know the laptop wireless is working).

I just don't want to go out and buy a router and find that it is not what I can use in my home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I've checked all the setting with Perlico support, they were happy with what they found. The fact that if settings are correct and the wireless does not work, tells them that there is a fault in the router and I have to replace it. The wireless light flashes alot but my laptop cannot find any wireless networks (I know the laptop wireless is working).

I just don't want to go out and buy a router and find that it is not what I can use in my home.

Did Perlico go through the wireless settings on the router AND on your PC?

If you are sure that the setup in the PC matches the wireless setup in the router then I guess there is a problem in the wireless section of the router.
    In that case Perlico should have a recommended wireless router they can supply and support.

Purchased a Belkin G Wireless Router and with setting got from Perlico, all up and running.

Great to be back online after 2 week's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Purchased a Belkin G Wireless Router

How much and where ? Would you recommend one ? Think I have to replace an old Belkin router myself.

This one in fact:

http://www.cpusolutions.com/Images/BELKINF5D72304.jpg

I have an upright unit, can't find any info yet on the Belkin website??

Response wise, a bit slow compared to the old netopia box. Youtube video's are jerky and some page loads are slow. Yet speedtest.net reports

706534089.png

Not sure if this is great.

May have to tweek the router but still trying to find out revelent info and I also need to confirm that all is well with my landline connection.

Advertisement