Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching a dog from dry to wet...or what's a good wet dog food?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could also add warm water to soak the food in, that would release the smell too, the smell would be wafting whilst it's cooling too, and so the dog will (hopefully) be waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Seamus, try soaking half her dinner in hot water (not boiled), and then once its soaked and bit moist then add the other half of the kibble. This will make it smell and taste a little nicer to them. I do it with my dog and he has no problems with his dinner.
    This way you are not making them fussy by adding stuff in so they will eat it and its still only the kibble they are eating.

Yes, some dogs are stubborn. My rottie went 3 full days without a single morsel of food, his belly rumbled for 2 days and he finally gave in when he realised he was getting nothing else, so just be tough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Andrea, you're a genius. Now to be fair, we did switch to a beef flavoured one instead which she seemed to generally prefer, but she still found the dry kibble annoying and too slow. So I did what you suggested, let it soak in. After a minute or two of lapping up the beef-flavoured water, she then proceeded to eat most of it, then went back and finished the rest of it later.

I'll try wean her off having to soak it, but even as it is it's a big success, so thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh thats brill, im delighted it worked. Theres no harm in keeping a little bit of it soaked all the time, wont do any harm to her and its not making her fussy because you arent adding any extra to it.

Advertisement