Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 13 International Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Really is a horrible trailer, I don't have alot of interest in the game but that just made it seem ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its still a day one purchase but I really don't like the look of the characters, setting, plot, voice acting etc.

Trailer music was offputting but it did get slightly more in tune with the on-screen action towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The requiem for a dream tune is way to overused in trailers.

The voice acting in the trailer sounds good though, when you can hear it over the song. It does look incredibly pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Eh... I actually liked it :D All FF games since VIII have had a vocal main theme anyway. And it did fit pretty well with the end of the trailer... which if I may say so myself was amazing! I can't wait til it comes out! I liked most of the characters, voice acting seemed over-all pretty good, setting looks interesting and varied... just don't know what the gameplay will be like really.

Man I can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to look out for the eurogamer face-off so I can get the best version. Unfortunately Leona Lewis' song will be the theme song to the game in western territories although the japanese song is equally as bad.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going to look out for the eurogamer face-off so I can get the best version. Unfortunately Leona Lewis' song will be the theme song to the game in western territories although the japanese song is equally as bad.

So far we know PS3, all other things equal, will have 1080p cut scenes, lossless music and a single disc.

If the 360 version runs better then well...I dunno. Is this the first multi format game with PS3 as the lead console?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That theme sounds absolutely horrific. Leona Lewis - GTFO!

I'll buy this on release too (As I've been looking forward to it for a very long time), but I don't know how much of that voice I'll be able to stick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    If the 360 version runs better then well...I dunno. Is this the first multi format game with PS3 as the lead console?

To be honest, with how close both releases are to each other I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII was always planned as a multiformat title with the 360 as the lead or even more likely Square took a leaf out of capcoms book and their internal engine is actually based on PC code and ported to the two consoles meaning very similar games with a slight 360 preferrence. Still 1080p videos and lossless music is also a big plus.

You are just guessing though? Everywhere I have read says the main work was done on the PS3 first.

Sure there were screenshots etc available before FF12 was actually released here. I'd say the multiplatform idea was a simple result of 360 market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

So far we know PS3, all other things equal, will have 1080p cut scenes, lossless music and a single disc.

Mirror's Edge and/or Burnout Paradise was PS3 lead console iirc.

News on the 360 version
    Just saw an article from Jeremy Parish at 1up, who played the 360 version on that FFXIII Bus (where they have the 360 and PS3 version running side by side).
    He saw no frame rate problems, or any tangible difference in the 10 minutes he got to play.

• Advertisement

You are just guessing though? Everywhere I have read says the main work was done on the PS3 first.

Sure there were screenshots etc available before FF12 was actually released here. I'd say the multiplatform idea was a simple result of 360 market share.
    Mirror's Edge and/or Burnout Paradise was PS3 lead console iirc.

Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise having the PS3 as the lead console is lies. Both games turned out better on the 360 anyway. Assassins Creed, Resi 5 and Devil May Cry 4 were all supposed to be PS3 exclusives but it turned out they were planned from the start as multiformat games with the 360 as the lead console and turned out better on the 360. I don't think any multiformat game has come out with the PS3 as the lead console although at least some companies are making games with equal importance given to both consoles. So yes I am guessing but it's an educated guess. I'm pretty confident I'm right and I'd put money on julian rignalls face off backing me up.

Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise having the PS3 as the lead console is lies. Both games turned out better on the 360 anyway. Assassins Creed, Resi 5 and Devil May Cry 4 were all supposed to be PS3 exclusives but it turned out they were planned from the start as multiformat games with the 360 as the lead console and turned out better on the 360. I don't think any multiformat game has come out with the PS3 as the lead console although at least some companies are making games with equal importance given to both consoles. So yes I am guessing but it's an educated guess. I'm pretty confident I'm right and I'd put money on julian rignalls face off backing me up.

Fair enough, the amount of screens etc I saw for the game about 3 years ago coupled with the fact it is a PS3 Japanese exclusive (the version which would be produced first) lead me to reckon this is just the first time we have a PS3 development led PS3 game.

If some aspects of the game are better on the 360 then you will take this as proof the game started on the 360 first then?

I dunno, even in the faceoffs where the PS3 is destoryed they can usually find one thing the ps3 version does better so it could be hard to tell based on the faceoff unless the 360 version is overwhelming better which I just can't see happening.

All irrelevant of the game is **** though!
    DS tonight I think, P3 is annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Ghostbusters was developed on the ps3 and ported to 360, we all know how that turned out.

rizzla wrote: »
    Ghostbusters was developed on the ps3 and ported to 360, we all know how that turned out.

#
    Badly, I take it?

I have more faith in Square than Terminal Reality anyway when it comes to actually making a game work and run properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Terrible choice of song. I wish they'd just revert to the FFVII style of music.

I'm looking forward to the game though. The graphics look amazing. I've been told that the battle sequences are fast paced and that the story is interesting. The only person I know whose played it gave it top marks.

I think Rizzla was being sarcastic :)

I'd like it if FFXIII was done on PS3 first since although the PS3 can't push as many polygons, transparencies or memory intensive stuff as the 360 it does have better lighting effects, HDR and shaders that Uncharted 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 showed can make up for it. Also in games were the code has been properly optimised you usually have a game that is quite close except with certain things like shadows and lighting being better on the PS3 but the 360 having better textures and transparencies, CoD4: MW2 for instance.

If the 360 runs significantly better then I'd probably be convinced the 360 was the lead platform but then again it could be closer especially if Square and taking the Capcom approach with a PC based engine.

Badly, I take it?
    Actually no, lol.
    The 360 version of Ghostbusters is quite superior to the PS3 version, lol.

And Retro, I have to disagree, I don't believe Dice or Criterion are lying about Mirror's Edge and Burnout:P, do you have any proof of that?

Here'smy proof and it looks like I've been proven wrong. Both games seem to be almost identical on each platform. Sorry for questioning you:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-eight-article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-16-article?page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

One version doesn't necessarily have to look better than the other. The PS3 has been the lead platform for most of EA's HD console releases for a while now, which makes sense since (strangely) the majority of their sales are on the machine. Visceral Studios apparently don't have a lead platform, yet all early builds of their games are shown running on a PS3...

I've also watched a seminar* by DICE all about their workflow, they have the PS3 as their lead platform as it results in less problems for multiplatform work. It's just harder to port from 360 to PS3 apparently. So I think that if the PS3 is the lead platform (in general) it results in better games for everyone, the same should be true for FFXIII. If it was developed on the 360 as the lead platform I wouldn't have expected them to add HD audio and video to the PS3 release. Would they have even bothered saying FFXIII was a PS3 exclusive in the first place if the 360 was the lead platform? Anyways, I'm sure the game will be just about identical on either system, bar the stuff noodler pointed out. I want this game to do well so that more JRPGs for HD consoles get made. That's how it works, right?

*I can find it for you if you're interested, it was a seminar about multi-platform development and the development of Battlefield Bad Company 2, think it was GDC 09.

GothPunk wrote: »
    I want this game to do well so that more JRPGs for HD consoles get made. That's how it works, right?

Not with the DS around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Not with the DS around.
    That was the perfect response! You know what, in a way, I kind of prefer a lot of my RPGs on handhelds. Could you imagine FFXV went to a handheld? (Hey it happened with Dragon Quest). It'd make the reaction to the FFXIII 360 announcement look like Sunday mass. :pac:

Actually no, lol.
    The 360 version of Ghostbusters is quite superior to the PS3 version, lol.

And Retro, I have to disagree, I don't believe Dice or Criterion are lying about Mirror's Edge and Burnout:P, do you have any proof of that?

I think you misunderstood me.

EDIT: Actually looking back I was probably unclear, but I meant badly in that it worked out badly for the PS3 as the 360 version still looked better.

I think you misunderstood me.

EDIT: Actually looking back I was probably unclear, but I meant badly in that it worked out badly for the PS3 as the 360 version still looked better.
    Oh, sorry.
    And Retro, that wasn't meant to be a tongue pic, I just typed : + P (obviously short for Paradise), hope it didn't seem rude.

The joke about the 360 version of the FFXIII bus coming on 4 buses was pretty good :D.
    I still don't know which platform I'll get it on, I do like my achievements and comparisons, will decide when people have comparable review copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I bought an xbox over xmas with a view basically that at some point I would have to bite the bullet and get a console for this game!

Can't view the articles/trailer in work but must check it out when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I actually quite liked the trailer and thought the song suited it well. At least it was something different from the same "epic" type of tune you hear over trailers for almost every single ****ing game.

Getting this on Xbox myself but disappointed that its English only voices (last I heard). I really hope the Jap voices are available as DLC or something from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Can i just ask why alot of Europeans and americans people prefer FF with jap voices and eng subtitles? It just goes right over my head when i see people saying they prefer that to english voices.

Master of the Universe

Can i just ask why alot of Europeans and americans people prefer FF with jap voices and eng subtitles? It just goes right over my head when i see people saying they prefer that to english voices.

Because the the English dubbed voices tend to sound like an episode of the OC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because the the English dubbed voices tend to sound like an episode of the OC.

They don't sound too bad this time around, compared to previous games anyway. However i'd take OC voices over a language i can't understand any day. Everybody to their own i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

In almost any Japanese media I've come across the English voice acting is terrible. The voices always sound disconnected from the character as well. Its almost the same as watching a dubbed foreign language film. The voices for the parts are chosen by the studio that made the game, so they are very specific to the character and part of the "director's vision" (without sounding too pretentious.) In general the English voices are chosen by the localisation company and aren't related at all to the original game production. (I'm talking in general. I have no way to confirm this for FFXIII)

Although in fairness to FFXIII the acting doesn't sound too bad from the trailer and seems to fit to the characters quite well. They seem to have almost done English lip sync as well? Although I imagine that is quite alot of extra work.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They don't sound too bad this time around, compared to previous games anyway. However i'd take OC voices over a language i can't understand any day. Everybody to their own i suppose.

Personally I rather play and watch things in their original form..or as close to their original form as possible. I find you lose something when foreign games/films etc are dubbed into English.

Anyway, we're all used to reading lots of text for FF games. So subtitles aren't really anything different! ;)

Advertisement