Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste oil boiler domestic use

• 14-01-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anybody out there have any experience of waste garage oil boiler to heat garage and link boiler to domestic heating system. Am interested in something reliable and quality engineered. Cheers:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MOD EDIT : MOVED TO DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I know of a couple but heat is by use of ventilation, not rads. Burners I've seen didn't have any water filled heat exchanger, not sure if any exist. Waste oil burners are very sensitive to water in oil, very high maintenance, daily clean outs. Sometimes heat is unbearable, once they fire up their is little control over output, seems to be all or nothing.

Garages fit waste oil burners because of waste oil disposal costs, if you've got a lot of waste oil building up then maybe its a good idea, if not, plenty of other ways to heat garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cornelius111

Thanks again for info. I believe the EPA have stopped all garages from burning waste oil and have large fines following discovery. Not sure if it applies to private domestic use. There are burner/boilers that burn all types of waste oil and also bio-fuel which may be the way to go. The difficulty is that I would like to talk to somebody with specific experience. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

First I've heard of EPA banning use of waste oil burners, I know one person using one, must mention that about EPA, others I've seen were just in passing. Sorry cant help, Standard Oil, Gas, Solid, Geo and Solar is all I have experience in. Not much waste Oil / Bio burner boilers about so I can see how you'd have difficulty, best of luck either way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 NH2909

There is not much to stop you having one. Storage has alot of criteria tied to it you cannot store over 150 gallons without a permit to do so. Bunding
    to 2.5 times storage is required as well. As for the boilers they are expensive and some of them require compressed air. Pressure at the burner jet is quite low so I assume regular cleaning is allowed. The boiler units ar usually quite large and heat alot of water that would be an advantage in my veiw. I have done some research on these systems and
    dont know how efficient they are as preheating of the oil must consume alot of electricity

• Advertisement
Advertisement