Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Terenure like?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Starting my seach for summer accomadation when we need to spend a few months in Dublin. Last year stayed in the city proper but thought we might try something different. Someone suggested looking in Terenure.

What's it like? What sort of people live there? I'll have two kids with me. Would it be good for them? Anything to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

My Boyfriends Family live in Terneure and I think it's a lovely place. It's pretty quiet though and no supermarkets in Terenure itself.

It has a few really nice restaurants and there's a tennis club. It's very close to Rathmines which is a bit more lively.

The area itself is very safe and is one of the niceer areas in Dublin. A great place for children I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Stella777 wrote: »
    Starting my seach for summer accomadation when we need to spend a few months in Dublin. Last year stayed in the city proper but thought we might try something different. Someone suggested looking in Terenure.

What's it like? What sort of people live there? I'll have two kids with me. Would it be good for them? Anything to do?

Yea, its a nice area, It would be classed as a middle class area, so make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

aidom wrote: »
    My Boyfriends Family live in Terneure and I think it's a lovely place. It's pretty quiet though and no supermarkets in Terenure itself.

It has a few really nice restaurants and there's a tennis club. It's very close to Rathmines which is a bit more lively.

The area itself is very safe and is one of the niceer areas in Dublin. A great place for children I'd think.
    Is it walkable? That's one thing I should have mentioned. The OH will be working a lot and I'll be on my own with the kids quite a bit. Are there playgrounds, parks, cafes and shops I could walk to? I'll go crazy if not.
    Danye wrote: »
    Yea, its a nice area, It would be classed as a middle class area, so make of that what you will.
    I *think* middle class might have a slightly different conotation in Ireland, but I'm not 100% sure. When I think of middle class, I think of little identical houses all in row, famlies with 2.5 kids, a heavy mortgage, dog. The dad is a mid level employee and the mother is often a stay-at-home parent. They dine in chain restaurants and shop in malls. Is that what it means there?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

There are cafes not too much on the line of shops. I don't know about playgrounds but there is a lot of green space and squares.

It 's a quite well off area which is what I think middle class means in this case. There's not much in the way of chains there. Mostly small family run shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

What sort of people live there?

It could be a good place for children if you get a quiet cul-de-sac. Bushy Park is nearby and there is a great playground there.

Most people are not like Marie Hegarty by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I lived in Terenure last summer while working near Trinity. On the one hand, I thought it was a nice area - Bushy park was good for jogging, good sausages at the butchers, etc. You can go for walks in some of the leafier parts of the area, although there's not much to see but other people's houses. But I HATED waiting for the bus every day - it wasn't as bad during rush hour, but there were a few times when buses never came during off-peak times during the week, and I would have to take a taxi to make it to meetings on time. And taking the bus into town on the weekends? FORGET ABOUT IT.

I'm going back to Dublin in a few months, and while I'd be open to living in Terenure again (short-term renters can't be that picky), I'd pay an extra 50-100 euros a month to be closer to the city center...or at least off of the Luas. Dublin Bus is not my friend. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Is it walkable? That's one thing I should have mentioned. The OH will be working a lot and I'll be on my own with the kids quite a bit. Are there playgrounds, parks, cafes and shops I could walk to? I'll go crazy if not.

You'll not be far from Bushy Park.
    If you're feeling a little more adventurous, the Dublin mountains are not far away. It'd be a car journey, but 10/15 minutes and your at the foothills of some nice walks, and great views over the city.

Actually, just found this. A nature trail around Bushy Park.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/VisitaPark/Documents/Bushy_Park_Native_Tree_Trail_english_version.pdf

Who said exercise and education couldn't be mixed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Most people are not like Marie Hegarty by the way.

Shes brought house prices down in Terenure, god she's irritating!!
    But I HATED waiting for the bus every day - it wasn't as bad during rush hour, but there were a few times when buses never came during off-peak times during the week, and I would have to take a taxi to make it to meetings on time. And taking the bus into town on the weekends? FORGET ABOUT IT.

I'm going back to Dublin in a few months, and while I'd be open to living in Terenure again (short-term renters can't be that picky), I'd pay an extra 50-100 euros a month to be closer to the city center...or at least off of the Luas. Dublin Bus is not my friend. :mad:

Em, Im not sure what Terenure you lived in, but SO many bus routes go through Terenure Village. I would have thought it was one of the best areas in Dublin to get a bus (that distance from the city centre.

15 Eden Quay to Scholarstown Road
    15a Eden Quay to Limekiln Avenue
    15b Eden Quay to Whitechurch
    15e Eden Quay to Brookwood
    15f Eden Quay to Ellensborough
    15n College Street to Ellensborough
    16 Santry to Ballinteer (Kingston)
    16a Dublin Airport to Lower Rathfarnham (Nutgrove Avenue)
    17 Rialto to Blackrock
    49/a Eden Quay to Tallaght (The Square)
    49n College Street to Tallaght (Kilnamanagh)
    65 Eden Quay to Blessington / Ballymore
    65b Eden Quay to Citywest
    74 Britain Quay to Stocking Avenue

Stee wrote: »
    Shes brought house prices down in Terenure, god she's irritating!!

Em, Im not sure what Terenure you lived in, but SO many bus routes go through Terenure Village. I would have thought it was one of the best areas in Dublin to get a bus (that distance from the city centre.

15 Eden Quay to Scholarstown Road
    15a Eden Quay to Limekiln Avenue
    15b Eden Quay to Whitechurch
    15e Eden Quay to Brookwood
    15f Eden Quay to Ellensborough
    15n College Street to Ellensborough
    16 Santry to Ballinteer (Kingston)
    16a Dublin Airport to Lower Rathfarnham (Nutgrove Avenue)
    17 Rialto to Blackrock
    49/a Eden Quay to Tallaght (The Square)
    49n College Street to Tallaght (Kilnamanagh)
    65 Eden Quay to Blessington / Ballymore
    65b Eden Quay to Citywest
    74 Britain Quay to Stocking Avenue

Yes, and the 15s would all arrive AT THE SAME TIME, the 74 would keep going if it saw the 15s, and if 16 came, it was every 30 minutes (maybe). Nothing like standing in the rain for 25 minutes at the end of a long day, only to see a cluster of buses rounding the corner at the same time...and two of them racing away from the curb.

Like I said, it was fine during rush hour, but between 10am and 4pm, and after 7pm it was iffy, and the weekends were totally random.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I dont know where you lived in terenure. I get the bus everyday nearly and have never ever waited more than 20 mins. Most times im on a bus within 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Terenure village is a 30 minute walk from Grafton street if you hate the busses that much.

Like I said, peak hours taking the bus was fine. Off-peak not so much.

It never took me less than 50 minutes to walk from my office to my house. Something that I was unwilling to do in torrential rain...and something that was impossible after I sprained my ankle and had to hobble around everywhere.

My main point was that I would prefer to live somewhere either closer to where I work, or on a train line - that way at least you know when the next one is coming. If the OP and/or their spouse need to go into the city center during regular commuting hours then Terenure is fine, and it's a nice area to boot. If you keep irregular hours, or go into town a lot on the weekend, then it's annoying - especially if you are used to living somewhere with a metro system and/or a bus system where they actually stick to the posted schedule. If there was a Luas line that followed the route of the 16A, then I would move back to Terenure in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

The comment about the buses in Terenure is ludicrous. Lived there from the age of 5 - 25 getting multiple buses daily and never had to wait more than 15 - 20 minutes. Its one of the best served areas in Dublin in terms of buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    The comment about the buses in Terenure is ludicrous. Lived there from the age of 5 - 25 getting multiple buses daily and never had to wait more than 15 - 20 minutes. Its one of the best served areas in Dublin in terms of buses.

I'd have to agree with that. I used to be on the 16/16A route, but would often walk the 15 mins to Terenure to get a bus. There were always loads of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GreyhoundD22

You should consider Inchicore. It has a couple of nice pubs/restaurants, has a small park in the village centre, and it's only a stone's throw from the Memorial Park/Phoenix Park; and no more than 30 minutes by foot to the city centre.

Property wouldn't be as expensive too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Living there at present and its a great area, very safe and friendly people about it. Its best of both worlds as you can be in a more lively area like rathmines in 15 mins walking at your leisure or in town in 40.

As for busses never heard such tripe in all my life it must be one of the best serviced areas in Dublin when it comes to busses. Living there close on 3 years and I don't think I have ever waited more than 15mins, including off peak. The 15's all run every 10 mins and they only come all at once when there is heavy traffic like rush hour, the rest of the day they are great with 10 mins between each one.

Moving next month and I must say I will be sad to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

aidom wrote: »

+1, my girlfriends family lives there. its a lovely area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

seamus wrote: »
    Terenure village is a 30 minute walk from Grafton street if you hate the busses that much.
    That sounds good. As long as I can walk...The kids and I are used to walking a LOT. I will likely still have a learner's permit or provisional license, so I doubt I'll be able to drive there. I just don't want to experience that stranded feeling. Where I live ATM I can walk to to supermarkets, shops, parks, restaurants and the train to Manhattan..I'd like a similar kind of thing while in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I
    Most people are not like exactly like Marie Hegarty by the way.

FYP.

That sounds good. As long as I can walk...The kids and I are used to walking a LOT. I will likely still have a learner's permit or provisional license, so I doubt I'll be able to drive there. I just don't want to experience that stranded feeling. Where I live ATM I can walk to to supermarkets, shops, parks, restaurants and the train to Manhattan..I'd like a similar kind of thing while in Dublin.

It's no where near a 30 min walk to grafton street, depending on which part you could be talking well over an hours walk.

if with kids, longer.

it is a small journey on the bus tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I don't think the bus service is that bad in the area, although it can get clogged at the crossroads when going into town. Ranelagh is closer to town, has the Luas (even goes the other way to our favourite place of worshipmall, Dundrum:D), but would be more expensive than Terenure.

Overall though, Terenure is a lovely area and in Bushy Park has a wonderful amenity on your door.

NoelJ wrote: »
    I dont know where you lived in terenure. I get the bus everyday nearly and have never ever waited more than 20 mins. Most times im on a bus within 5 minutes.

Well that's my impatience I guess since I moved to Dublin from cities with Metro systems where the trains arrives every 3-5 minutes during rush hour and come every 5-7 minutes during off-peak hours. Or the system is on a schedule, so you can time when you leave your office and not sit around waiting. So it was a shock for me to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus home at the end of the day (for what amounts to a 15 minute bus ride). I guess everything is relative.

This isn't a thread about public transport though, so I won't comment any further.

Like I said, I liked the area. People seemed nice, and it felt very safe...It's definitely quiet. Given my work schedule and the fact that it is pretty far out of town with no rapid transit link, I probably won't live there again, but if that isn't an issue for the OP, it seems like a pleasant place to spend the summer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I had to get a bus from Rathfarnham to Town for a while (To camden st) in the mornings and some mornings expect to be on the bus a hour+ (to go only that far). The bus services there (from rathfarnham anyways) are the 16/16A/16C and they are the most useless, slow painfull journeys you would probably have to expierience in rush hour, I had to unfortunately expierience it both into town and returning from! If the only bus you can "rely on" is a 16X(whatever type), I would advise moving closer to town, terenure and rathfarnham are unfortunately serviced by useless bus services that take forever, Rathmines and such are areas in walking distance of town, in fact, even the luas to dundrum is at least quick so places in dundrum near the luas I'd reccomend

Nick

Moved to Terenure from Rathmines in July, and it's far far quieter which suits me (lived outside a busstop in an apartment before which was incredibly loud - didn't realise how loud it was until we moved here!). Bus service from the village as has been mentioned is generally excellent, and since you're around a 15-20 minute walk from the nearest Dublin Bike station into town that makes the centre of town even nearer imo! If you're just here for the summer it mightn't suit depending on what type of thing you're into, perhaps Harold's Cross or Rathmines would be better for being nearer to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Terenure is serviced by the 15, as said before it comes very often, I've lived here all my life and can't remember ever waiting more than 15 minutes for a bus into town! Its a very quick bus journey if you go outside of rush hour as well. Centra is a small supermarket that will service most of your needs, and as said before Bushy Park is great for a walk. You're also spoiled for choice with schools with St. Josephs and St. Pius very close by primary schools and secondary schools like Terenure College, Templeogue, Mary's, High School, Our Lady's, Alex, Presentation and Gonzaga all being close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

People like me live there. Maybe you don't want to live there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

that woman on the AIB TV ads seems to like it

scudzilla wrote: »
    that woman on the AIB TV ads seems to like it

up to her eyes in negative equity now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

yoyo wrote: »
    I had to get a bus from Rathfarnham to Town for a while (To camden st) in the mornings and some mornings expect to be on the bus a hour+ (to go only that far). The bus services there (from rathfarnham anyways) are the 16/16A/16C and they are the most useless, slow painfull journeys you would probably have to expierience in rush hour, I had to unfortunately expierience it both into town and returning from! If the only bus you can "rely on" is a 16X(whatever type), I would advise moving closer to town, terenure and rathfarnham are unfortunately serviced by useless bus services that take forever, Rathmines and such are areas in walking distance of town, in fact, even the luas to dundrum is at least quick so places in dundrum near the luas I'd reccomend

Nick
    I dont know any buses that are quick in rush hour. you would be quicker cycling anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Terenure a good area and you have plenty of destinations to chose from as well. Templeogue, Rathmines, Rathgar, Tallaght etc. Tymon Park is just up the road from you (ten mins on bus) and plenty of access in terms of bus routes. 15a or b your best choice I think.

Advertisement