Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science & Computing

Options
  • 14-01-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am considering applying as a mature student for the above courses. Probably leaning more towards Computer science. I would appreciate any current or past students thoughts on the courses. Also the mathematics aspect. Is there maths in all 4 years or just first and if so what kind are we talking about and difficulty level.

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

redout wrote: »
    Hi,

I am considering applying as a mature student for the above courses. Probably leaning more towards Computer science. I would appreciate any current or past students thoughts on the courses. Also the mathematics aspect. Is there maths in all 4 years or just first and if so what kind are we talking about and difficulty level. The modules in DT228 look more interesting.

Thx

I am in Computing year 3. There is less choice with 211, and you can't pick streams like SDIS or CSAA. If you hate networking you won't enjoy the Cisco modules.
    Final year subjects are far more limited than 288, plus you have mandatory Oracle db modules in fourth year unlike 228. There are three exit points unlike DT288.

First and second year maths is mostly discrete maths. The maths is handy enough if you attend the lectures and do the work. Higher level maths is not strictly required.
    If you make an effort you will at least pass. There is maths for 3 semesters in total. Other maths modules are optional in 228. I would pick DT228 if I had the choice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LLJK Kennedy

4th Year DT228 here. Yes, there's plenty of maths - I came in at 2nd year, so I can't comment on 1st Year, but from 2nd on you'll be looking at graph theory, matrices, vectors etc. Depending on the stream you take in 3rd year, it'll branch out then - I'm in the Games stream so we have a lot of vector and matrix math, trigonometry and geometry. Logic is quite important in the Artificial Intelligence module.

For programming languages, I think it's C in first year, followed by:
    2nd Year
    C++
    JSP / PHP depending on the lecturer
    SQL

3rd Year
    Java
    C# for the Games stream (using XNA)
    C

4th Year
    Stream dependent - Games is C++, SDIS is mostly Java / JSP I think, Can't comment on Systems Software.

Overall, I had the choice of 228 and 211 - I'm glad I took 228, I've really enjoyed it so far. Decent bit of maths, but that's a given for programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Some Previous Threads on this Topic.

Computer Science or Computing in DIT?

DT288 or DT211?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im in computing year 3 and computer science sounds so much better.
    Unless you really really want to do cisco networking, thats the only thing that computing has that computer science doesnt.
    Wish i could do that games stream.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I'm in 4th year of computer science now. I had a maths module in first and second year but apart from that there is not really any maths. I'm doing the software development stream not the games one. Even if your not strong a maths you can easily pass these two modules so don't worry about hard maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 SoItsMe

Hey. If I had the choice to pick again I would pick the computer science dt228. It is a far better course, and having chatted to the lads of the fourth year dt228 course they also recieve far more help and direction with final year projects. They have a class a week dedicated to it, and have a supervisor assigned to them for meetings each week also. Dt211 have supervisors assigned to them, but there are no classes on it, you're basically thrown into it. It's sink or swim. This is a sentiment echoed by many of my classmates also. Good luck with your decision.

DT228 FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BaRcOe wrote: »
    DT228 FTW!

Please try and post helpful comments.

Please try and post helpful comments.

DT228 FTW stands for For The Win which is encouraging the op to do comp science. this is helpful imo.

Advertisement