Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps with latest roads (incl. new OSI Road Atlas)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all can anyone tell me where to find a map of Ireland that includes are the recently opened new roads like the carlow kilcullen bypass etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

www.openstreetmap.org is the only resource I know of. Will be a while before the paper maps catch up I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This. It'll be released 4 February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Furet wrote: »
    This. It'll be released 4 February.

I'd be surprised if it had the very latest state of the new road schemes. I'll be particularly interested in the M1/M50 junction, the Cloghoge junction on the A1 and the Sheep Hill junction, also A1. All of these are present on OpenStreetMap (granted, many smaller roads are still missing, but we're getting there).

All that said, fair play to Collins for seeming to care about up-to-date maps. Michelin used to be good at that, but not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I know for a fact that the Collins editors get a lot of their information from this particular board. Open Street Map is very good, but it's not glossy and printed like a traditional map... and I love my traditional maps. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm a loyal OSI boy, which is causing problems based on the advancing age of the current OSI country-wide road atlas.

They've spent far too much time producing their Taxi Regulator-logo'd town plans and have completely ignored the idea of replacing the country-wide map. That its listed under "tourist and leisure" when it *should* be the main map any business road used relies on speaks volumes. Navteq's dodgy mapping has replaced it in that field, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

Google Maps use Tele-Atlas for Ireland , its them you need to shout at.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Another crowd who need a serious update is the AA. The route planner still does not include the M6 from Athlone to Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The state of the GPS maps for this country seems to be pretty poor too. I have a couple of iPhone GPS apps and they still don't show the Mitchelstown bypass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Openstreetmap + Garmin unit + routable maps = great :D

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    The state of the GPS maps for this country seems to be pretty poor too. I have a couple of iPhone GPS apps and they still don't show the Mitchelstown bypass

I'm surprised at that - a lot of iphone map applications use OpenStreetMap and the Mitchelstown Bypass has been on OSM since a week or so after it opened. I recommend Offmaps (cheap) and RouteBuddy Atlas (free, edit: and also with offline support).

Furet wrote: »
    I know for a fact that the Collins editors get a lot of their information from this particular board. Open Street Map is very good, but it's not glossy and printed like a traditional map... and I love my traditional maps. :o

I love the traditional maps too - I grew up with them and they created my passion for mapping. But remember that OSM is just a map database - one can, and people do, create printed maps from that database. The output can be as shiny as we choose ;)

mackerski wrote: »
    I'm surprised at that - a lot of iphone map applications use OpenStreetMap and the Mitchelstown Bypass has been on OSM since a week or so after it opened. I recommend Offmaps (cheap) and RouteBuddy Atlas (free, but no offline support).

Cool, do you know of any that provide supply turn by turn GPS though? I have TomTom and Navigon and they're both fairly rubbish for updating.

Cool, do you know of any that provide supply turn by turn GPS though? I have TomTom and Navigon and they're both fairly rubbish for updating.

Ah - well the generic advice for any navigation in Ireland, iphone or not, is "don't buy Tom Tom". The Teleatlas data that Tom Tom uses (in fact, they own Teleatlas) is utterly useless for Ireland. That it is offered for sale is simply astonishing. Navigon, as far as I know, uses Navteq data, which are far superior, but still updated fairly infrequently. Both Navigon and TomTom have decent enough software for navigation, so if you don't like either, then it's likely that your annoyance is with the map data.

OpenStreetMap data offers, in theory, a solution, in that it tends to be very up-to-date in prominent locations where other maps are not. The flip side, though, is that the Irish OSM data set is not yet as mature as in, say, UK or Germany, so there are many gaps on back roads or in certain urban areas. There are also mistakes yet to be located - community mapping suffers both from newbie breakage and from simple errors. The main reason commercial map providers take so long to update their maps is because of the QA measures they employ to avoid these errors (pity it doesn't seem to help Teleatlas...).

Although there is at least one iphone app doing turn-by-turn navigation using OSM (Roadee), it's a little raw and you'll likely find it quite frustrating. I fully expect to see a lot of progress in this space, though, so keep looking.

BTW, I gave bad information in my last post - RouteBuddy Atlas does support offline cacheing of map tiles.

I didn't quite pay for either of the GPS apps, as I know my way about fairly well, I just wanted to see how the phone would do with it. Seems to me that Navigon has the superior software, but TomTom have better address/POI locating. Wouldn't really recommend either for purchasing though, I'm hoping this Google navigation system ends up on iPhone soon.

I didn't quite pay for either of the GPS apps, as I know my way about fairly well, I just wanted to see how the phone would do with it. Seems to me that Navigon has the superior software, but TomTom have better address/POI locating. Wouldn't really recommend either for purchasing though, I'm hoping this Google navigation system ends up on iPhone soon.

Until Google discards Teleatlas data (as they did in the US) their navigation here will be just as poor as TomTom (albeit probably with some nice real-time info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I am using nokia ovi maps through my phone and it updates itself. Most of the new roads are there except m6 athlone to galway and m8 fermoy to mitchelstown. its a good system and you dont need a seperate nav system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I've contacted TeleAtlas and Navteq numerous times in the past, no answers and no changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I see that they have a bit of the m8 around johnstown or somewhere like that maybe they ran out of blue ink.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They seem to go on the original NRA published plans. Like the section of the M8 marked in blue is the part that was originally designated motorway as it was going to lead inescapably to the M8 Portlaoise-Cullahill scheme. They didn't take into account the remaining motorway redesignations that happened afterwards. They also seem to put in new roads according to the original estimated completion dates. Note that delayed roads like the N7 (now M7) Nenagh-Limerick section or the N9 (now M9) Waterford - Knocktopher schemes are mapped on Google Maps, whereas roads that finished early like M6 Ballinastoe - Galway and M8 Mitchelstown - Fermoy schemes have yet to be mapped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

wellbutty wrote: »
    I've contacted TeleAtlas and Navteq numerous times in the past, no answers and no changes
    Yeop, same here, submitted loads of change requests with no response and no action taken. Fail.
    Stark wrote: »
    They seem to go on the original NRA published plans. Like the section of the M8 marked in blue is the part that was originally designated motorway as it was going to lead inescapably to the M8 Portlaoise-Cullahill scheme. They didn't take into account the remaining motorway redesignations that happened afterwards. They also seem to put in new roads according to the original estimated completion dates. Note that delayed roads like the N7 (now M7) Nenagh-Limerick section or the N9 (now M9) Waterford - Knocktopher schemes are mapped on Google Maps, whereas roads that finished early like M6 Ballinastoe - Galway and M8 Mitchelstown - Fermoy schemes have yet to be mapped.
    So that's it! Was really confuddled by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yeop, same here, submitted loads of change requests with no response and no action taken. Fail.
    On the other hand, I've submitted a number of faults both local to me and abroad to Navteq via their MapReporter site, all acknowledged, and all fixed eventually, albeit rather slowly. You don't get any intermediate updates on the progress of your submission from them and have to check up manually on the website, but you do get an email when it's finally resolve, at least I did.

Just installed the new Garmin maps (Europe NT 2010.30), here's the Irish summary:

M4/M6 Dublin to Athlone is on it
    Gorey and Carlow bypasses still not motorways
    Waterford Bypass is missing
    Too soon for M9 Kilcullen to Carlow
    M8 Culahill to Watergrasshill is on it
    None of the M7/M20 near Limerick is on it
    M18 north of Shannon and M11 at Rathnew re-designations not there

I think we should all bombard Navteq and other map providers and get our country even more up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Just installed the new Garmin maps (Europe NT 2010.30), here's the Irish summary:

M4/M6 Dublin to Athlone is on it
    Gorey and Carlow bypasses still not motorways
    Waterford Bypass is missing
    Too soon for M9 Kilcullen to Carlow
    M8 Culahill to Watergrasshill is on it
    None of the M7/M20 near Limerick is on it
    M18 north of Shannon and M11 at Rathnew re-designations not there

Were all of these not in the 2010.20 update? From a cursory look at the online version of the map, they don't appear to have updated much at all!

/csd

csd wrote: »
    Were all of these not in the 2010.20 update? From a cursory look at the online version of the map, they don't appear to have updated much at all!

/csd

They could have been in 2010.20 alright, never checked with as much anticipation as today!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

I've found one major scheme that's new to 2010.30: M8 Mitchelstown - Fermoy scheme is in this update and wasn't in the 2010.20 version.

/csd

Does the M6 speed limit still suddenly drop to 100 west of Kilbeggan in .30? The KTA section is marked as M6 and all in 2010.20, but 100 limit.

Avoiding 15 minutes of "recalculating" on the way to Cork is worth the hassle of getting it alone, mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Guys.

The Navtech map base was created by given a pack of students a gps and a car and a laptop back in 2005/2006. It is by far the best map of Ireland but is hopelessly out of date when it comes to Motorways. They could bring it up to date by hiring 1 student for 1 week , but won't. Not forgetting the missing Barna Bypass about here and the western bypass of Athenry either lads if ye do get the finger out :p

yahoo maps ( http://maps.yahoo.com/ ) use this map.

Teleatlas is simply cack, it was done by tracing low res satellite pics or something low tech like that ...by cheap labour in India..although City maps are Ok for some reason :(

Google have driven every road in Ireland in the past year as well as street viewed them. I would be very pleased to see that map as soon as :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I was on Google Earth today and noticed they've extended the M9, the M6 and most of the M8 is now showing :) ... but the updates are still not up to date and are not showing on google maps...??!

They're unbelievably slow at updating! Given the fact there European HQ is in Dublin!! Rediculous! :(:confused:

• Advertisement

Google use Tele Atlas for Ireland, not themselves (yet).

Navteq appear to get ideas for their Irish updates by people using Map Reporter on their website. I've sent in a load of stuff and only ever got one confirmation off them ('new' roundabout in Ferns thats been there as long as I can remember). They clearly have someone still driving roads here, there may be delays in getting stuff uploaded to the main map and then Garmin themselves have delays between the day the map data is dumped from Navteq to when it hits consumer units.

Advertisement