Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps with latest roads (incl. new OSI Road Atlas)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

MYOB wrote: »
    Does the M6 speed limit still suddenly drop to 100 west of Kilbeggan in .30? The KTA section is marked as M6 and all in 2010.20, but 100 limit.

Avoiding 15 minutes of "recalculating" on the way to Cork is worth the hassle of getting it alone, mine.

Yup, still 100 km/h. Noticed that on my way back from Galway last night.

The Garmin units always seem a bit optimistic in calculating ETAs anyway, so having this few km at a lower speed limit helps with a more realistic time!

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I was on Google Earth today and noticed they've extended the M9, the M6 and most of the M8 is now showing :) ... but the updates are still not up to date and are showing on google maps...??!

They're unbelievably slow at updating! Given the fact there European HQ is in Dublin!! Rediculous! :(:confused:

Just noticed this myself. Hopefully there won't be too much of a delay untill they update their google map servers. This is really important IMO, for too long the route planner function has being using out of date info. Journey ETA's and directions might be a bit more realistic now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

cc wrote: »
    Just noticed this myself. Hopefully there won't be too much of a delay untill they update their google map servers. This is really important IMO, for too long the route planner function has being using out of date info. Journey ETA's and directions might be a bit more realistic now :)

If you want to see how out of date Google's routing is, you need look no further than this route.

This route has been impossible by car since the mid-1970's - the aerial photography will show you why if you don't know the area. In fact, the northern end of the route was probably never possible.

This is how poor Teleatlas data for Ireland can be, even in an urban area.

yea its pretty dreadful alright, I think a lot of the problem also stems from the Ordnance Survey's reluctance to do a deal and licence their maps with the likes of Teleatlas and Navteq, who have gone out and mapped Ireland themselves. It seems Teleatlas are a bit more sloppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cc wrote: »
    yea its pretty dreadful alright, I think a lot of the problem also stems from the Ordnance Survey's reluctance to do a deal and licence their maps with the likes of Teleatlas and Navteq, who have gone out and mapped Ireland themselves.
    Perhaps all is not lost though ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/1007/1224256090883.html

• Advertisement

I'm glad i have a Garmin now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have my Garmin with an old version of City Navigator (M4/M6 scheme is the most recent thing on it). Thats supplemented with Openstreetmap routable which is updated about 15 minutes after a road opens :D

Thats supplemented with Openstreetmap routable which is updated about 15 minutes after a road opens :D

Yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Open streetmap is the only one with the completed section of the Barna Bypass but it is otherwise cack west of Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That is true but whenever I go a-geocaching west of Galway I add any roads I happen to potter down.

EVERYONE POST GPS TRACKS

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Open streetmap is the only one with the completed section of the Barna Bypass but it is otherwise cack west of Galway :D

What Chris said - contribute. Crowds are good at finishing tasks like this. Let's have one apply itself to the empty bits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mackerski wrote: »
    What Chris said - contribute. Crowds are good at finishing tasks like this. Let's have one apply itself to the empty bits.

I never bothered with a GPS because the maps are such crap, my trusty 1999 atlas of Ireland suffices :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I never bothered with a GPS because the maps are such crap, my trusty 1999 atlas of Ireland suffices :D

Fine so - we'll let you know when we've fixed the maps for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Garmin's City Navigator 2010.30 is too big to fit the entirity of Europe on to my about one year old unit, requiring ANOTHER 20 quid for an microSDHC card.

However, it'll be worth not having it scream "RECALCULATING!" at me for the entire distance around Mitchelstown tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 geo15

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

On this OSM , I cannot view any maps from anywhere! Is there a plug-in or something I need to download. Can't find anything on their site. All maps just show a magnifying glass with 'More OSM Coming Soon'.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No plugin needed to view it. You must have visited when they were having server issues or something.

geo15 wrote: »

Their representation of M9 J8 is worrying - they have the N10 spur shown in green, suddenly becoming motorway inescapably as it hits the trumpet. I _really_ hope that's not how it'll be signed on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

a simple round-a-bout would solve that

deiseman21 wrote: »
    a simple round-a-bout would solve that

Well, it doesn't actually need solving - there are only two routes you'd want to reach using that spur, both of them freeflow with the standard trumpet that they are apparently building and both of them lead inescapably to a motorway. So you put motorway restrictions on the spur and all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I passed a Navteq survey unit southbound on the M8 (which they have already so was clearly driving somewhere else!) today. Nice to see they've not forgotten we exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

new road atlas out from OSi , see irish times for article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0312/breaking17.html

spot the big mistake , this is also on the OSI website, most of the above article was taken from OSI's press release on new map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

clon wrote: »
    new road atlas out from OSi , see irish times for article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0312/breaking17.html

spot the big mistake , this is also on the OSI website, most of the above article was taken from OSI's press release on new map.
    jeasus
    M7 to cork.
    thats a bad one.

It is a little thick (or over logical designation of numbers clockwise from the N1) that the M7 "Cork road" out of Dublin actually doesnt bring you there but rather to Limerick, but of all people the map makers should know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Link to the OSI's press release:

http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/official-road-atlas-ireland.aspx
    Published in partnership with Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland and with the co-operation of the National Roads Authority, Road Safety Authority and with information from the Garda Traffic Bureau, the new Road Atlas gives details of all of the new inter-urban motorways, including routes opening this year.All five of the major inter-urban motorways will be open to drivers this year, including:

M1 to the Border with Northern Ireland
    M4/M6 to Galway
    M7/M8 to Limerick
    M7 to Cork
    M9 to Waterford

Should we tell them or let them print maps with the Portlaoise - Cork motorway marked as M7? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can someone post an image of the mapping as soon as they get a copy? I might buy one myself...

The OSI have changed their description of the M8 now - but it's still totally wrong! Sheesh. http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/official-road-atlas-ireland.aspx

I'm expecting to take delivery of my copy this week. Pictures will follow. I hope it isn't mistake-ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Furet wrote: »
    The OSI have changed their description of the M8 now - but it's still totally wrong! Sheesh. http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/official-road-atlas-ireland.aspx

I'm expecting to take delivery of my copy this week. Pictures will follow. I hope it isn't mistake-ridden.

Here is the reply I got today when I commented on their site yesterday ....

Dear Sir,

I have requested that to be changed. Thank you for you interest in OSI products.

Best Regards

Brian

Brian McArdle
    Channel Manager
    Business Development & Marketing
    Ordnance Survey Ireland
    Phoenix Park, Dublin 8
    Ireland

Email brian.mcardle@osi.ie

Want to let him know Furet?

busman wrote: »

Want to let him know Furet?

I already sent them a short note about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

M1 to the Border with Northern Ireland
    M4/M6 to Galway
    M7/M8 to Limerick
    M7 to Cork
    M9 to Waterford

Haha, well spotted lads... :D

They're also assuming that all journeys start in Dublin as well, I notice... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's fixed now!

Advertisement