Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps with latest roads (incl. new OSI Road Atlas)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

Google Earth have done a small update, if you see they've added on:

-a bit of the M8
    -a bit of the M9
    -a bit of the M4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have the new OS road atlas. There are some stupid mistakes on it. A quick glimpse of the very first drawing, inside the front cover, reveals the total absence of the Ennis bypass for instance.

On the M8 junction 8 northbound off-slip is also wrongly omitted on the motorway schemata. I'm sure there are other mistakes there, too.

In addition I hate the colour scheme, but that's a personal preference. It is still ridiculous that 100,000 of these were printed with some basic errors on them.

Photos below.

DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1346-1.jpg

DSCF1347-1.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1352.jpg

DSCF1353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Interesting. I see they have the N80 from the M6 to Tullamore downgraded already. I remember hearing this was planned but thought they were waiting for something else to be completed before doing so?

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1355.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Why go to the effort of listing every junction if you're not going to actually draw the junction diagrams to explain how restricted junctions are restricted?

What a wasted opportunity! The work has been done already (cf NRA junction maps on their site), so why not include it in the atlas?

Have they missed the M7 toll as well?

/csd

DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF1361.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

csd wrote: »
    Why go to the effort of listing every junction if you're not going to actually draw the junction diagrams to explain how restricted junctions are restricted?

What a wasted opportunity! The work has been done already (cf NRA junction maps on their site), so why not include it in the atlas?

Have they missed the M7 toll as well?

/csd
    The M7/ M8 Road is down with a different shading to indicate that its a toll road

Its not a bad way of doing it as you then know which stretches are governed by tolls, which is more intuitive than just saying where the toll booth is IMHO.
    NOTE: the N3 is properly done as between some junctions there is no toll booth and the road is shaded as regular motorway!

If you look carefully, tolled sections of motorway are indicated with a very thin red line running down the blue mainline. The M7/M8 is shown on the map as having no toll between junctions 4 and 3, which contradicts the signage currently installed on the M8 where it bypasses Urlingford. So it looks like you could leave the M8 at junction 3 and take the R433 to Abbeyleix and from there the N77 (former N8) to the Portlaoise Bypass.

The M7 is shown as having a toll from junction 21 all the way through to 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think Collins did a better job when it comes to the roads.

Just things like the M18-M17 scheme being shown under construction, but not even showing the whole thing... just having the motorway end in a random field, almost disconnected to everything else.

Or the Ennis bypass exits being labelled with clunky looking "J" symbols.

They did correct a mistake Collins made though, which is that the M6 ends at J19, rather J20(?).

The motorway schemata, a nice addition but I agree with csd, they could've put on junction maps. (Also, the M3 doesn't seem to have one).

Thanks for the pics btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Thanks for clearing up the toll stuff, though I do think they should be consistent and either mark the toll barriers for all tolled sections or not do it at all. Having some marked and others not is just a recepie for confusion.

One other question, is it an artefact of the photo, or are the N18 Shannon Tunnel and N25 Waterford bypass schemes really shown as single carriageway on the map?

Cheers.

/csd

This is again a point based on personal preference, but I think the sickly brown colour scheme tends to emphasise the minor roads at the expense of the motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Furet wrote: »
    This is again a point based on personal preference, but I think the sickly brown colour scheme tends to emphasise the minor roads at the expense of the motorways.

definitely, the motorways should be in dark blue, not sky blue..! :confused:

I just made that point to them in an email:
    I received my copy of the OSI new road atlas of Ireland and was disappointed by the number of mistakes in it.

1) The Ennis bypass is missing from the back cover and inside-front cover of the atlas.

2) The M8 motorway's junction 8 at Cashel has been full-access since November 2009. Your atlas says it is restricted access.

3) The M18's junctions are listed simply as 'J', when in fact they are numbered.

4) The motorway service areas (MSAs) on the M1 and M4 are not included even though these important features will open before the end of the year.

5) The colour scheme of your atlas is highly unattractive. The brown tone emphasises the minor and regional roads at the expense of the motorways, which should be a much bolder shade of blue (see page 27 for a good example). The back cover features a blue Ireland on a red background, and of course the blue colour of Ireland also makes the motorway routes very hard to see.

I think it is good that the OSI has issued a new atlas, but it is quite bad that a government agency, which had so many years to prepare an attractive and accurate map of the country's new road network, has made so many errors.

Here's the red-and-blue image. Imagine needing to consult this in your car late at night.

DSCF1364.jpg

csd wrote: »
    One other question, is it an artefact of the photo, or are the N18 Shannon Tunnel and N25 Waterford bypass schemes really shown as single carriageway on the map?

Cheers.

/csd
    the map does seem to be inconsistent in that.
    The N18 From Limerick to Bunratty is marked as Dual Carraigeway but other stretches like the stretch from Oranmore to Town and also the inner by pass is marked as regular bog standard road.
    Same in Dublin from what I can see (the resolution isnt clear enough to make that out for sure)

Aside from dual carraigeways, my personal preference would be more descriptive in general of the quality of every road like the Michelin maps do.
    Roads that are of better quality are drawn much thicker than lesser quality roads.

So if planning a journey across country, you would know straight off at a glance to avoid bad stretches like say the N73 from Michelstown to Mallow! With the roads the way they are now, there are regional (former National Primary) roads of a much higher standard than a lot of the national Secondary roads and maps probably should show this.

I've found another mistake on the new OSI atlas. See the motorway schemata for the M8. The OSI claim there is a mere 1.6km between junction 7 and junction 6. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Limerick SRR looks incorrect as well. The ring road itself is the M7 until junction 30 when it splits into the M20 and the N18. But on the map it's shown as M20.

I'd also say that the schemata is somewhat wrong for the M3 too.
    Where is Trim?

Either junction 5 or 6 (or both) should have Trim listed as a destination.
    Hopefully the signs on the route actually have Trim listed seeing as its the only town of any importance in that pocket between the M3 to Navan and the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

DSCF1356.jpg

The R433 alignment is incorrect - It will be going through Junction 3 when the motorway opens up, rather than its current more southern alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

DSCF1359.jpg

Aha I see the M20 has 30 junctions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Google have updated their maps. But there are so many mistakes on it I wouldn't know where to start. Its a complete mess!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

In the N20 piece above where it branches off towards Cork what is the grey highlighting for? I got the latest Ordnance Survey map today and it is a very good step in the right direction. Are the highlighted N roads roads that were upgraded in recent years or roads that or of a better quality to the rest?

Also the speed cameras on it are pretty stupid as there is hardly no fixed speed cameras in the state!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grey highlighting and speed cameras = areas the Gardai have identified as focus zones for mobile speed cameras. The list of areas is on their website (the Guards not the OSI!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Croom bypass is rife for it. Its far easier to speed on that than a motorway for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Croom bypass is rife for it. Its far easier to speed on that than a motorway for some reason.

Think that might be to do with the width. If you are on a motorway with a barrier beside you it doesn't appear as wide as a WS2 with two hard shoulders even though it is far more unsafe.

This is the theory behind the traffic calming coming into towns. While your lane doesn't narrow the signs and islands seem to narrow your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

DSCF1362.jpg

The Midleton railway is also incorrect .This line opened up 6 or 7 months ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

DSCF1356.jpg

Notice how the toll booth is missing from this, (though it is marked on the junction Schemata)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I noticed there's a new OSI Dublin road atlas out now, took a quick look while waiting for my Applegreen Burger and it seems to have most new roads on it. Didn't think of checking if the new link road from Damastown to Tyrrelstown is there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MYOB wrote: »
    I noticed there's a new OSI Dublin road atlas out now, took a quick look while waiting for my Applegreen Burger and it seems to have most new roads on it. Didn't think of checking if the new link road from Damastown to Tyrrelstown is there though...

It is there. Overall, this new version is better than the last one, with fewer stupid errors, but there are still many inaccuracies - the M3 is indicated as starting in the middle of nowhere, the new N4/M50 interchange is (wisely) shown as complete, but not drawn quite correctly.

Most worryingly, they have placed the street "Exchange Court" about 1km away from where it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

More errors in the new OSI atlas. All the minor roads crossing the border between north Louth and south Armagh seem to have vanished compared to the 2007 edition! Also the A1 now seemingly begins at junction 18 where the M1 ends north of Dundalk. It should be the N1 to the border then the A1.

Advertisement