Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADVICE/OPINIONS ON THIS PEUGEOT 407

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I drove a rental one in November for a couple of days. Something that annoyed me was the lack of a rear wiper. Spent a good ten minutes looking for the control for the rear wiper as it was lashing rain and I couldn't see out. Finally got out of the car and couldn't believe that there was none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol 407s are almost sale proof, I'd be aiming for the HDi instead to be honest. Pros, they are good on fuel and would be alot easier to sell. Cons, the diesels are alot more complex, turbo, DPFs and injectors, etc are alot more expensive to fix if they go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

The 1.8 petrols seem reliable but the only return around 35mpg
    and as above the petrols can be bought/Sold cheap.

The 1.6 hdi's (as bazz said) can have dual mass flywheel and diesel partical filter issues around 100k...but return around the mid 50's on mpg...:)
    Remember Citroen, Volve, Ford, Mazda share the 1.6 diesel and have
    the same issues.

If your only doing less than 10k per year then maybe go for the 1.8...:)
    Some usefull info here.... www.407owners.com/forums
    Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

wyndham wrote: »
    I drove a rental one in November for a couple of days. Something that annoyed me was the lack of a rear wiper. Spent a good ten minutes looking for the control for the rear wiper as it was lashing rain and I couldn't see out. Finally got out of the car and couldn't believe that there was none.

It's a saloon, why would you have expected to find a rear wiper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Beautiful lookin' car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 franny1

Row wrote: »
    The 1.8 petrols seem reliable but the only return around 35mpg
    and as above the petrols can be bought/Sold cheap.

The 1.6 hdi's (as bazz said) can have dual mass flywheel and diesel partical filter issues around 100k...but return around the mid 50's on mpg...:)
    Remember Citroen, Volve, Ford, Mazda share the 1.6 diesel and have
    the same issues.

If your only doing less than 10k per year then maybe go for the 1.8...:)
    Some usefull info here.... www.407owners.com/forums
    Ron.

good points made by all above. I wouldnt be doing much milage tbh. An odd long journey now and again and plenty short spins
    It's NCT till next year so mechanically i'd hope it's in good nick.

Is their anything i should look out for in term of the actual car and documentation? (i know it's probably a stupid question but to save myself hassle in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How is it NCT'd until next year when it is a 07? A 07 is only 3 years old at most, you can only do the NCT 6 months prior to it being due it's first NCT.

Also verify the service history, mileage, etc with the garages who serviced it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How is it NCT'd until next year when it is a 07? A 07 is only 3 years old at most, you can only do the NCT 6 months prior to it being due it's first NCT.

Also verify the service history, mileage, etc with the garages who serviced it.

there was no disc on it at the time so i asked him and he said next year (albeit with a lack of certainty. Must bring it up with him.

are them reports that they mention in the ads not that reliable for service history/mileage etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Yea the dealer is right the car isn't due an NCT until next year. However that is because a 2007 car isn't due it's first NCT until 2011.

Don't do it though!!!! Have you seen the car?? Look at it!! :eek:

Shane732 wrote: »
    Yea the dealer is right the car isn't due an NCT until next year. However that is because a 2007 car isn't due it's first NCT until 2011.

Don't do it though!!!! Have you seen the car?? Look at it!! :eek:

Ya my impressions was it's a nice car, had a good drive in it as well and that went well.

Any reasons why you mentioned your last sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A guy I work with driver Limerick to Cork every working day in one and he loves it. That's 40k miles a year. Nice car to travel in. Diesel is the only real way to have one though. It's a car that you would need to keep forever. The 1.8 is impossible to sell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I considered that exact car when I was buying- had a test drive in it last November. Have to say I liked it and was near the top of my list - things that put me off where that it was 1.8 and the boot was too small. Other than that, I would have had it.

I considered that exact car when I was buying- had a test drive in it last November. Have to say I liked it and was near the top of my list - things that put me off where that it was 1.8 and the boot was too small. Other than that, I would have had it.

the exact model ya? (rather than the exact reg car)He saying 8950e for it, you think i could haggle him more or it that reasonable compared to what your looking at?
    What you go for yourself in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Go for the diesel.The power output from the 1.8 petrol is terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

It was that exact reg. I would chance my arm and try to haggle him down a bit more - he's had it there for a while now so I reckon he'd go a bit lower to shift it. Especially if it is a straight cash deal.

I don't do a huge amount of mileage, and don't need a big engine, so in the end I went for a Skoda Octavia 1.4. Got an 07 from Pheonix Motors, and I have to say, they did me a good deal, and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

EPM wrote: »
    The 1.8 is impossible to sell on

I have the same engine in my car and can confirm this!

It was that exact reg. I would chance my arm and try to haggle him down a bit more - he's had it there for a while now so I reckon he'd go a bit lower to shift it. Especially if it is a straight cash deal.

I don't do a huge amount of mileage, and don't need a big engine, so in the end I went for a Skoda Octavia 1.4. Got an 07 from Pheonix Motors, and I have to say, they did me a good deal, and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Good luck!

Ya same ere man but sometime i feel my car (opel astra 1.4) is under too much pressure on the motorways when ya have a clear run so i'd like the extra bit of power

ya ill try get him down more. I didnt even have to haggle with him to get him down 500e. I stuck to my initial plan of not bargaining the first time i met him so the second time i meet him he'll know that i'm not just wasting his time

good luck with your new car too

Advertisement