Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nasty crash in Bray

• 14-01-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Looked like a BMW Z4 had an off-set head on collision with lovely old Merc E class estate (W124). Both are right offs but both looked like the drivers would have been OK, despite serious deformation of both. A third car also involved was written off. Sad to see the old Merc go but it looked like it saved it's driver against a much more modern car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How bad are we talking about here, something like this crash between a 206 and an E class? 2 people injured in this one.
    get.aspx?iMedia=10791395

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Much the same actually. Would love to know how it happened, Southern Cross rd is pretty straight, but try and over take and you will be in the slippery stuff before you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Where in Bray was it?

Southern Cross rd, about 2.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Much the same actually. Would love to know how it happened, Southern Cross rd is pretty straight, but try and over take and you will be in the slippery stuff before you know it.
    Not only that but it's 100% either solid white line or cross-hatching all the way, so no overtaking allowed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

it looked like it saved it's driver against a much more modern car.

Probably due to the size and weight of the car, however, I'd still much rather be in a new (5 star car) in a crash, even if it was (a bit) smaller than the other vehilce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Looked like a BMW Z4 had an off-set head on collision with lovely old Merc E class estate (W124).
    Sad story... Do you remember the colour of that S124?

Silver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Silver
    Are you serious? :( I sold my silver Estate less than a month ago (E300 Diesel 1994) to a gentleman from Co. Wicklow...

Update:
    I just gave that man a call and he and his S124 are OK :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Looked like a BMW Z4 had an off-set head on collision with lovely old Merc E class estate (W124). Both are right offs but both looked like the drivers would have been OK, despite serious deformation of both. A third car also involved was written off. Sad to see the old Merc go but it looked like it saved it's driver against a much more modern car.

Z4? Looks like a Peugeot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

ksimpson wrote: »
    Z4? Looks like a Peugeot.

I was about to post similar about the merc being a saloon rather than an estate but that photo is not of today's accident.

" something like this crash between a 206 and an E class?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Probably due to the size and weight of the car, however, I'd still much rather be in a new (5 star car) in a crash, even if it was (a bit) smaller than the other vehilce.

You'd probably be surprised that the Merc W124 estate only weighs about 10% more than the BMW Z4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

4275013339_bd16980dbe.jpg

The driver of the 124 may have been taken ill, but no overtaking or excessive speed was involved. The 124 first struck an Almera, then the BMW and then the high kerb at the bus stop.

4275013369_d350976dde.jpg

The good news is that all involved walked away, although the driver of the 124 suffered a broken bone in the right foot. Which, considering the position of the RH front wheel and strut, is pretty good going.

4275013289_bc3bae6625.jpg

4275013267_6d20ab8545.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I believe the guy in the z4 broke a nail and messed up his hair a bit.................:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good news that the only injury was a broken foot. If the impact (with the BMW) had been slightly faster and if it had been driver's side to driver side, it may have been a lot worse for the Mercedes driver. It looks like the BMW has started to "spear" through the Mercedes which is to be expected given the strength of modern cars. There is no doubt that the BMW is a far safer car even though the W124 was excellent in its day. Also, as unkel says a Z4 is not much lighter than a W124.

Glad to hear all are well, it looked pretty grim when I went past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

looks like cars in crash were at speed.....looks nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I believe the guy in the z4 broke a nail and messed up his hair a bit.................:p

I laughed and yes, I know its wrong. Im sorry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

unkel wrote: »
    You'd probably be surprised that the Merc W124 estate only weighs about 10% more than the BMW Z4!

The new Z4 is even heavier. Curious to see how heavy and big cars are getting - improved engine technology giveth, lard taketh away.

Advertisement