Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proof of competence course (Wexford Area)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

does anyone know of any body doing the proof of competence course around the wexford area?
    I tried the lad in monageer but he's not answering his phone.

any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

he is the nargcs county safety officer only :eek:.

contact the county secerety or your club one or the nargc direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

are the courses required now to get a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

jwshooter wrote: »
    he is the nargcs county safety officer only :eek:.
    contact the county secerety or your club one or the nargc direct.

the lad your on about is his name Donal or something like that?

you wouldn't happen to have an email address handy? as i was on the NARGC website and there are loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

mail the safety officer in the nargc and he ll get it for you

thank you all for your help really appreciated .

• Advertisement

i have his home number its in the jeep il pm you it later

i have his home number its in the jeep il pm you it later
    thank you very much.

i could be in trouble this is the reply i got back from NARGC
    There are no Courses planned for the Wexford/Enniscorthy area at this time.

Please check our Website – www.nargc.ie – for upcoming Safety and Proficiency Course listings.

Kind regards,

Chris Gavican
    ============

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

then you pick the one nearest to you and do that one,,

ronn wrote: »
    then you pick the one nearest to you and do that one,,
    yup thats what i thought too but the nearest one is in athlone. is there an alternative too this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just ask your local super what course he wants you to do (best first step anyway as there's no official list of acceptable courses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

People need to remember that this is 'proof of competence' not some course or other. You might be as well to state your experience as produce some certificate or other.

I'm confused at the moment about this do i need it because, I'm getting mixed opinions

is this your first firearm . if not how long have you owned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

do i need it
    The law says you have to provide proof of competence.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't say what is acceptable as proof.
    At the moment, if you've had a firearm for a while, that's accepted.
    If it's your first firearm, the local Super may ask for you to do a course; if so, you have to ask him what course because there's no single standard learn-to-use-a-firearm course, nor is there any list of accepted courses. Or he might accept the time spent using club rifles if it was for target shooting or whatever. It's all down to the local super, so unfortunately there's no one definitive answer for you :(

is this your first firearm . if not how long have you owned one.
    yup its my first
    sparks wrote: »
    no single standard learn-to-use-a-firearm course
    in my opinion i think there should be.
    sparks wrote: »
    Or he might accept the time spent using club rifles
    yeh but i'm not in any club and i dont know if there is any in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I don't know if this is of any help, but I recieved my first cert in July last year, I stated "I had experience of firearms both here and abroad ranging from rifle to shotgun and handgun both in a hunting and target environment". Basically said the same in an application for a O/U in Sept [only added that I now had a license for the .22air-rilfe]and it was granted in Dec, just filled in pretty much the same tonight [just added the shotgun] for an application I will be handing in tomorrow [hopefully for a .17hrm]

In my inital letter stating why I rerqiured a firearm I just expanded a little and the above which I had put on the form. My Super seem happy with both, and hopefully he will be happy with new application.

I'm in the same position club wise, but I now a contact number for my County.

yup its my first

yeh but i'm not in any club and i dont know if there is any in my area.

where about in enniscorthy are you from, pm me .

my cycling buddy is in the same boat.i gave him my name as referance with out problem .

talk to Sargent jim doyle in town or ask to see the super peter finn . dont talk to much to mick kenny the supers clerk if you cam avoid it .

you should join a club if you can

Really?

One course for: clay shooting, rough shooting, duck shooting, target shooting with air rifles, smallbore rifles, full bore rifles, benchrest rifles, silhouette shooting, pistol shooting: fullbore, smallbore, air, field target shooting, deer hunting, fox hunting, rabbit hunting, lamping, etc. etc.

Pretty good course that, let me know when you find one :D

rrpc wrote: »
    Really?

One course for: clay shooting, rough shooting, duck shooting, target shooting with air rifles, smallbore rifles, full bore rifles, benchrest rifles, silhouette shooting, pistol shooting: fullbore, smallbore, air, field target shooting, deer hunting, fox hunting, rabbit hunting, lamping, etc. etc.

I understand what your saying, and from the post above you will know how I answered that question, not that this is pefect , but just in my example it. I have my skills for what of a beter word, but I went shooting in spain but a few of my mates the first time a few years ago, [I had experience by then]they are ex-paras, so not experts on sports shooting, but they know their firarms. I know them a long time so out of interest I asked their opinion on my skills safety etc. I got very good feedback. I do this aot when I shoot with different people just to get feedback; but it was just for me I asked.

I am still learning and openly admit I still have alot to learn; if there was a recoginsed course that at least taught good safey drills I how have been glad to do it last year [my first application] though I doubt I would have learned anything new. I would still do it now if it existed if it and was required for my new application. I was very intimidated by the paper work the first time, you guys helped me alot.

I really do think if we should at least have at least that, it would help people like the op get started. As I said I see you point and that would be some course and there is a few on that list I have no experiece of.

You guys are more experienced than me so what would you think of at least having a standard safety course. The one thing I always remember and it brings a smile to my face everytime I think of it was; the first time I was be insrtucted around using a Glock, He was showing the correct holding position and too made sure you hand is nowhere near the slide. The words "you will do this only once always bring a smile to my face.

On the other had I was luckly my Super took me at my word, which was all true I could have proved a certain amount of proff but did not need to so really I can't complain.

Just interested in you opinion. Cheers.

• Advertisement

I'm not dodging the question Odysseus and I was being mildly ironic with the OP but the best course is the one that you do within the structure of the sport you're joining.

The only one that falls through the cracks is the guys hunting where we seem to have a hit and miss approach of either a mate or family member takes them out and trains them or they are left to sink or swim.

Yes there are basics, but it's not a good idea to have some 'jack of all trades' course that isn't going to be specific to your sport.

I'm not dodging the question Odysseus and I was being mildly ironic with the OP but the best course is the one that you do within the structure of the sport you're joining.

The only one that falls through the cracks is the guys hunting where we seem to have a hit and miss approach of either a mate or family member takes them out and trains them or they are left to sink or swim.

Yes there are basics, but it's not a good idea to have some 'jack of all trades' course that isn't going to be specific to your sport.

Chhers. Sounds spot on to me, expecially the last bit, for example deer would just be out of my league, if I was interested in that, I would need alot of instruction. I think in so anyway but I don't konw enough about it.

That's why I'm trying to find a club, yes it will give me more access to land, but I think it would facilitate me in learning more.

Really?

well obviously not all of them, but a general safety course should be implied too make it easier for first time shooters because the process is intimidating (well it is to me anyway).
    maybe i'm picking this up wrong (sorry if i am) but what your implying is that if your not in a club ur doomed?

this is @ jwshooter i cant pm you, problem on your end:confused: its a cz452 lux .22

this is @ jwshooter i cant pm you, problem on your end:confused: its a cz452 lux .22

sparks has my pm box full .

there is no competence test for a rifle ,the nargc is more shotgun ,i would chat to jim doyle .

just back from the garda station and the number they gave me is for the same lad

just back from the garda station and the number they gave me is for the same lad
    got it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There is some course thing going on here in waterford at the moment. The HCAP one it is. It only started a week or two ago. One of me mates is doing it. Some load of stuff to study in the manual.

can anyone tell what actually happens during this course? do you get to shoot a firearm?

• Advertisement

can anyone tell what actually happens during this course? do you get to shoot a firearm?

its deer stalking course ,for want of better wording for it .

you have to shoot a 4 inch group at a 100yds to pass. not very relevant to you.

Advertisement