Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 seater suggestions/Big Boot/Flexible seating

• 14-01-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

as title says, guy I know is looking for a big 7 seater, big boot with flexible seating. Budget of 20k

Is currently considering a 06 Voyager 2.8 Diesel Auto but I've shown him some reviews that don't give it much belief in its reliabilty.

Has ruled out the Galaxy due to the lack of flexible seating in the 2nd row. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

VW Touran - lower cost, lower road tax on a 1.9l engine, 7 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Hyundai Santa Fe, should be able to pick up a good example for that kind of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel. 7 seater, very flexible arangement, massive front windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 1.6HDi? Very flexible seating configurations due to individual 2nd & 3rd row seats. Tax band B with the EGS model if you can find a used one.

EDIT : Ted10 got there just before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

bf wrote: »
    Hyundai Santa Fe, should be able to pick up a good example for that kind of money

+1 , should be able to pick up a 2007 model for that kind of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Is currently considering a 06 Voyager 2.8 Diesel Auto but I've shown him some reviews that don't give it much belief in its reliabilty.

Probably best if they keep breaking, that way you cant crash one. They fold like a stood on coke can.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

what about a dodge journey. 2.0 diesel 140bhp, manual or auto options, vw diesel engine. very flexible seating......seat config of 2,3,2 Back seats will fold completely flat for huge amount of extra space. Well speced as standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think he's looking for one that you can have one of the middle row seats facing rearwards? Is that even legal?

What about the Alhambra? Big enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I think he's looking for one that you can have one of the middle row seats facing rearwards? Is that even legal?

Dont know about legality but on the Renault site it says not to drive the Espace with the seats facing backwards (on the Espace section, not just randomly in the company history or anything :-) ). The seat belts are on the seats so it can be done.

Seems more of a recommendation though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Grand Espace diesel? Big bus that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Alhambra are unreliable. At least they used be. Would they drive a Caravelle? Way better than you'd think being a van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Don't think they are unreliable.

We had a 99 Galaxy until 2008 and did 80,000 miles. A reliable car.

Have replaced it with a 05 Galaxy- similar reliability.

Note: Alhambra and Galaxy are same car. Just different badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

Might be too big for what you need but have a look at a Ssangyong Rodius.

If you can ignore how it looks on the outside (not so bad in black):
    • 7 seats (middle row can face backwards and has lapbelts)
    • Massive boot
    • 2.7 diesel engine and automatic - needed for a car this size. I found the sub 2 litres options really struggled when loaded up and very noisy.
    I've had one for 4 years now and found it very reliable. You can get a very low mileage 07 one for 20k looking at carzone.ie.
    Good spec one here for €16.5k:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ssangyong/Rodius/dsl-auto/200946195872818/advert?channel=CARS

Overall: Good if you need 7 seats permanently plus a big boot. Not so good if you need to park in the city a lot or worry about external appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

VW Caravelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

pmq71 wrote: »
    Might be too big for what you need but have a look at a Ssangyong Rodius.

If you can ignore how it looks on the outside (not so bad in black):
    • 7 seats (middle row can face backwards and has lapbelts)
    • Massive boot
    • 2.7 diesel engine and automatic - needed for a car this size. I found the sub 2 litres options really struggled when loaded up and very noisy.
    I've had one for 4 years now and found it very reliable. You can get a very low mileage 07 one for 20k looking at carzone.ie.

Overall: Good if you need 7 seats permanently plus a big boot. Not so good if you need to park in the city a lot or worry about external appearances.

Thanks for the review. Didn't know they have flexible seats. That is one ugly muthafcuka though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Was in a taxi rodius there not too long ago and it wasnt too bad tbh, nowhere near as bad as i would have thought and the engine seemed to pull well, extremely ugly indeed though and i wouldnt want to have a crash in one, only 2 airbags afaik!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

T-Maxx wrote: »
    VW Caravelle

Agree - well worth a look. I was tempted to go for this before opting for the Rodius. I thought they were very expensive at the time but there are more available second hand now so you should get one for your budget. Lots used by taxis/chauffers so hard to get one with low mileage.

Couple of things to look out for:

I see lots of specced up VW transporter buses advertised as Caravelles so be wary. A proper Caravelle will have swivel seats in the middle row and not fixed seats and will have better seat trim. Sound proofing in the transporters is also very poor in comparison to real Caravelle and really feel and sound like the van it's based on to drive.

If you choose to turn the middle seats around you will need to slide the rear bench back a lot to allow for proper leg room for adult/teenage passengers which really cramps the boot space. There isn't a long wheelbase version of the proper Caravelle AFAIK (only in the transporter) so this might be an issue if boot space is a priority.

The 1.9 tdi with the 170 HP engine would be the best option for tax/power. The dash mounted manual gearstick is good to drive as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/Carnival/automati/200828189357671/advert?channel=CARS

Well specced for the money, but with all the seats up the boot isn't great.

Fairly well screwed toghether too. Probably won't be able to sell it on when he's finished with it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

found a 07 Rodius on carzone for about 16.5k. has every conceivable extra so pointed him in that direction.

Advertisement