Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redknapp charged

Options
  • 14-01-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Two counts of cheating the public revenue. link

Let me make one thing clear: I don't care what rumours you have heard on other sites, DO NOT post anything re. this case on here unless it is in the public domain. That means unless it has been reported in the press, it does not get posted here. Any speculation based on rumour or heresay will be deleted, and I'll consider removing people's access for repeated instances.

Debate the case if you must, but please base your debate on facts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

From what I've read he's complying completely. Hopefully this means that if he's guilty then jail time is doubtful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

hope he gets through it

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

Hopefully, he will get this all sorted and continue to do what is doing very well at the minute - bringing Spurs back to the Top!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Kold wrote: »
    From what I've read he's complying completely. Hopefully this means that if he's guilty then jail time is doubtful?

Punishable by jail and/or a fine.

Cooperation has not helped others in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Before this all went ahead Harry said he had nothing to hide so i thrust him
    whatever he did wrong i highly doubt he will serve time im sure it will be a hefty fine which would be nothing to him?
    if he would serve time it would be front page news which it isnt so heres hoping im right:confused:

would seriously mess are season up if he is convicted!

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

£40k - Probabally close to 1 weeks pay for Harry.
    Cant see much more than a fine and a slap on the wrist IF he's found guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

hopefully it gets sorted out as quickly as possible and has little effect on his ability to do the day to day .
    For 40k i would say a fine plus initial plus interest depending on time frame of alledged act or acts and a telling off.
    hope cooperation helps ,it would if this was a tax amnesty but it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Emoran wrote: »
    Before this all went ahead Harry said he had nothing to hide so i thrust him
    whatever he did wrong i highly doubt he will serve time im sure it will be a hefty fine which would be nothing to him?
    if he would serve time it would be front page news which it isnt so heres hoping im right:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/default.stm

It's headline for the front page of English news at the moment. Not even Sports mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Always something with Spurs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

its impossible to know if he is guilty or not. he is very determined in proclaiming his innocence but he is a bit of a del boy so who knows. we will just have to wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, I'd love to know where the confidence that Harry will escape with a slap on the wrist should he be found guilty is coming from.

The only case I can find with similar charges is of a charter accountant who was charged with 8 counts of this, for a total of £200k. He got a 12 month sentence, despite pleading guilty.

Harry is protesting his innocence (as he is entitled to do) but the courts don't look kindly on that if found guilty.

Don't assume that because it's "only" £40k that it will mean a slap on the wrist, HMRC and the Old Bill have pursued this for over two years...they want their pound of flesh, be that Harry's or Mandaric's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think Mandaric should do the decent thing and tell everyone that it was his fault. After all, it's easier to run a football club from a prison cell than manage one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

any hmrc case is based on

1.how helpful you have been.
    2.how deliberate your error was.
    3.How freely missing information if any has been provided.

With his solicitor quoted as saying "he has given full cooperation throughout
    these proceedings".

I would imagine this will be taken into account on any prosecution if found guilty.

Plus was there a deliberate defraud on hr part on the full amount?

hmrc want your money if you owe it just like irc so outstanding payments plus a big fine will generally satisfy the men in charge of the pounds and pence from a revenue point of view.

if there is something more to this (and this is speculation) ie. to make an example wihin an industry ,then it is no longer a revenue issue alone so it becomes more complicated.

purely on the money 40K owed= big fine, especially in these depressed times

thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hmmmm, Its hard to know what way to take this. Even if he does do a little time maybe it'll be over the summer and it wont really matter.

He can have his own football behind bars show like Ian Wright. Although he had the much more badass crime of driving without tax and insurance and served 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Storm in a ticcup.

Absolute worst case scenario is that Harry's accountant's/advisers are done for negligence and Harry has to pay the tax + interest &/or a fine. Right from the start he never denied receiving the payment.

This is the UK authorities saving face for acting like a***holes a couple of years ago.

By the way this story made P15 of The Sun in the UK today - I think if Harry was going to jail it would be splashed all over the first 15 pages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Lads, I'd love to know where the confidence that Harry will escape with a slap on the wrist should he be found guilty is coming from.

The only case I can find with similar charges is of a charter accountant who was charged with 8 counts of this, for a total of £200k. He got a 12 month sentence, despite pleading guilty.

Harry is protesting his innocence (as he is entitled to do) but the courts don't look kindly on that if found guilty.

Don't assume that because it's "only" £40k that it will mean a slap on the wrist, HMRC and the Old Bill have pursued this for over two years...they want their pound of flesh, be that Harry's or Mandaric's.

Agree Ronan.
    They will want a major result having investigated it for so long. Harry could well be the one who gets firmly punished and made an example of.

I just hope it doesn't ruin our season on the football side, the area the really matters to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Agree Ronan.
    They will want a major result having investigated it for so long. Harry could well be the one who gets firmly punished and made an example of.

I just hope it doesn't ruin our season on the football side, the area the really matters to us.
    As I said this is the UK authorities saving face.

They've spent a small fortune in time, money and resource on this case after making a balls up 2 years ago. This pressing of charges is a publicity stunt to justify spending all that time and money over this case.

I'm pretty sure the courts will come to some sort of middle of the road decision.

There's more chance of the new Spurs stadium being built on the moon than Harry being both found guilty of anything meaningful and going to jail over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Leucifer

Good to hear it should only be a fine.

Advertisement